KH/Schlumpf hub price

As Mike explained by the title of his post he was providing an english translation of the e-mail from Florian to Turtle.

Florian Schlumpf is the designer and manufacturer of the Schlumpf geared hubs.

jim

Ok sorry, I hadn’t read the posts above.

Hi,

UDC Germany already ordered a few ones and will hold them as stock.
Hope we will get them soon from Florian and can build all the pre ordered unicycles …

Roland

Is it just me, or does anyone else get arroused by that picture?

STM

It’s the golden knobbie that sings, isn’t it? Or is it the glorious machining, or the massivity of it all? Heretofore the Swiss were not known for their girth! LOL!!

droooooool…
Simply beautiful piece of engineering florian and Kris!

The only dilemma that i would have if i had enough money to procure such an awesome device would be deciding what uni to put it on.
A 36er speed capable 24x3 muni, or one hell of a 36er. Use it with double drilled cranks and think of the options you have!

I guess this may be one of the things that will eventually pull me into full time employment…envy of expensive unicycle gear!
mark

I would advise against having UDC US build one of these up for you. I ordered an airfoil 36er from them with the Kovachi wheelbuild and it was total crap. The spokes seemed very loose straight out of the box, but the wheel was true so I just left it. Apparently his secret to keeping the rim true is to just not tighten the spokes. On my 3rd ride or so I had one spoke that just completely unscrewed from the nipple and several others that were just about to fall out as well. The whole thing was sloppy. I basically had to build the wheel again myself and it’s harder to keep the wheel true when you actually tighten the spokes. John Kovachi needs a new profession.

UDC US built my 36er with an airfoil rim about 2 years ago and I have gone thousands of miles, up and down stairs, off road, etc…and my wheel is still in great shape and in true. It might not be in perfect true, but the people at the bike shop were amazed at how straight it is. I am very pleased with my wheel build from UDC US.

Same here (but mine was not true or round)

same for me but I drool over a 26x3 Muni with schlumpf hub.

unicycle.com (US) responded to my mail–they’re going to carry the hub, and it will be on their site as soon as they receive the hubs from Florian. Woo hoo!

Or, considering the huge number of Kovachi wheels UDC sells, you got a defect. Sounds like it got moved over into the “finished area” before it was finished. Every company makes mistakes. I’m sure they would have found a way to make it up to you at the time, had you mentioned it. Instead you seem to assume all Kovachi wheels are shipped with loose spokes?

My 2002 Coker Deluxe has 2300 miles on it since I put on the computer, and at least a thousand before that. No truing since I got it. My experience seems to be the more typical.

Now I want a new hub…

Same thing happened w/ my 2007 Nimbus X.

I just tightened the spokes. It was obvious to me they were way too loose, it was the first thing I did while asembling it. I probably should have told them about it.

If your wheel is true, but the spokes seem loose

You need a coin type spoke wrench. Some wrenches can be difficult to turn exactly 1/2 turn.

By sighting across the flat of the coin, it is easy to tighten the spoke 1/2 turn. If you start at the valve stem, and tighten each spoke the same, the wheel should tighten without effecting wheel trueness.

I would tap all the spokes first, and tighten all the dead sounding ones. Then it is a quick job to tighten the whole wheel, without pulling it out of true.

http://aebike.com/page.cfm?PageID=30&action=details&sku=TL4129

TL4129.jpg

Shipping a 36" wheel back and forth would be something of a last resort due to the cost and the hassle of it all. I have a tensiometer, workstand, and spoke wrenches so it was just easier to true the thing up myself, but it was time consuming and I paid for a wheelbuild that I didn’t really get. I didn’t tell UDC because all they would say is, “Sorry, we suck.” I already knew that from past experience. Seems like others have found that out too. But maybe I was hasty in saying that all Kovachi wheels are crap. Maybe he is actually capable of building a decent wheel and it’s the QC that is total crap. Maybe I just wasn’t one of the lucky few who by chance get a good one. Who knows.

Same here - mine was the pre-2007 longneck. Also, my Nimbus ISIS Trials was the same way but that wasn’t a Kovachi build.

hi folks! Just wondering if anyone here is using this new ISIS hub in a nimbus 36er frame?- and if any mods had to be done to make it work properly. Hmmm- seriously considering an upgrade for some brown trousers time high speed commuter shenanigans.
mark

I believe the nimbus frame is shipped spaced for the UDC wide coker hub, you’d need to bend the frame in by 25mm for the nimbus hub.

The ISIS hub has 42mm OD bearings. The current Nimbus frame has 40mm bearing holders, therefore it won’t fit.

OMG, there it is !!!
Okay now the question is: how do I buy it without telling my wife about the real price of this monster ?:o :o :o :o

edit, link : http://www.einradladen.net/shop/show_product.php/cPath/1/products_id/711