KH Moment flanges

That doesnt seem like the “flex” kris had talked about in the 07 kh thread. Those flanges look permanently bent to me.

Is this problem with the 07 Kh uni?

uhh
DUHH!!
lol

its not too much of a problem though, my learner did this and you can’t even tell the difference (well, tis not very rideable now.)

I definitely don’t think that looks like it should be normal. (If it is normal, it indicates that the cut-outs in the KH hub flange shouldn’t be cut out as they’re affecting structural integrity too much).

An obvious negative consequence of that bending is that the spokes now have effectively different lengths, so any work you did to balance the spoke tension and true the wheel is now shot. And it can’t be good for the metal fatigue.

hmm
as long as you have the same tension they are fine right?
as in the rim won’t get hurt?

Here’s one possibility for what can happen when your flange fails:

http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59863

My opinion is based on conjecture, since there’s only one picture and it doesn’t show the flange. But to me, it looks like the flange failed on that wheel, removing all structural integrity, which allowed the rim to fail. (The rim will generally not fail, except sideways, as long as the wheel has structural integrity).

Anyone else have this problem?

its time to call kris

I do, if you’d call it a problem.

tholub, it doesnt matter a crap if the spokes are effectiveley different lengths, thats why they have a thread so you can re-tension them, and if my truing was shot and all this why would i have been able to go for a ride yesterday? (yeah i know i was missing 4 spokes, but i went VERY softcore) fact of the matter is the flanges WILL bend untill the flange and the spokes form a dead straight line from where the flange is welded to the hub and where the nipple goes into the rim. yes you may be thinking that if i know all this i shouldnt be asking the question i did, which is true SAAM should have been the one asking as he is the one who was woried about it, but i am not stressed one bit… i just asked coz he is lazy and convinced me…

ok moving on

LBS rekons 13 guage spokes arent all that common nowadays but they can order some black ones in the correct length for me along with 36 stainless nipples so when i rape more of my brass ones i can replace them…

oh yeah turns out my spokes are 13 guage and not 14… so that makes me happy…

hopefully KH will set everybody straight with this flange issue as i can tell some people are fully stressing…and besides, if the flanges do happen to die i am sure KH will be glad to sort something out as flange tearoffs etc arent exactly common, and he is a good fella.

also evan you said you hope your flanges dont do that, yet you also say you dont ride, i sense someone who isnt 100% truthfull to the rest of us…
so do you ride or not?

well thats all i have to say for now

bye

Hey,

The Moment hub is constructed from hardened CrMo in the axle, and a softer steel in the flanges. The reason for doing this is to reduce broken spokes by allowing for some deformation around the spoke holes in the flange. This is necessary because hardened steel flanges are quite prone to cutting spokes.

Obviously it’s still possible to break spokes as was pointed out here. But it’s very uncommon, much more uncommon than with hardened flanges. For comparison, once I broke 11 spokes on one drop on a DM ATU hub with hardened flanges. In China, which really sucked.

As far as flange deformation goes, that also seems to be quite rare. It has happened to a couple of people but that’s about it. In future I may re-shape the angle of the flange to reduce this from happening. However I don’t know of a single case where the flanges have actually broken. If you manage to actually tear the flanges off, send me a note and we can sort something out.

Kris

It’s certainly possible to use a unicycle with an out-of-true rim; if you don’t have brakes, the tolerances are very loose. Yes, you could adjust for the change in effective length by tweaking with the spokes, but the flange deforming indicates insufficient strength and suggests that the result will not be stable.

I have built dozens of wheels, and I have never had a flange deform. What happens, when the flange material is soft enough, is that the pressure of the spoke against the flange will make a small bed for the spoke during the wheel-tensioning process. That’s not what is pictured in the image above.

Sometimes it’s a good thing not to buy the first year model. I’ve been eyeing these hubs but thought I’d wait until the jury came in. I think the production of multi-holed cranks makes these very attractive. I think the jury is still out, and I’m still very happy with my KH/Onza set.

If you ask me the hub in the above pictures is “broken”.

Its happened to me, but not nearly as bad (could be because I’m on a 24")

I agree with you on the spoke breakage.
But do you think there is any way the flange will tear off/ be damaged?

That’s hard to say because some riders put an incredible amount of abuse on hubs. So far it has never happened as far as I know, including riders who have broken/bent a lot of other hubs. Personally I’ve bent flanges on a set of Profiles but not on my Moment hub.

Kris

uhm
why not make eyletted hubs?
would it make it too weak? it shouldn’t add too much weight.
or make it like those fancy shmancy shimano hubs. the weird looking ones, if you have seen them you know what I’m talking about.

Among other things, you can only do one spoke pattern with eyeletted hubs or the silly Shimano ones.

huh?
why would you only be able to do one spoke pattern w/ eyeletted hubs?
like 99% of us use the same spoke pattern anyways.

if you had the same hub, but inserted eyelets into slightly bigger holes it seems you could do whatever pattern you want.

alright, the hub is not “broken” (yet) and it shouldnt break anyways, if it cant withstand a 6 set then we have serious problems…
and skrobo, i am with you that multi spoke patterns are possible with eyeletted hubs, as it is just a hole with an eyelet.

as for spokes well I am in the process of getting some from the LBS but cant remember the name of the spoke brand…

also i am sure that ryan atkins puts way more strain on his gear than me and if he ever damaged something i am sure kris would be the first to know about it, and he says he hasnt heard of any problems so i have faith it will hold up.

Kris, why have the flanges of the hub so tall? because the taller the flanges the more prone they are to this sort of thing, similar concept to how a larger wheel is weaker than a smaller wheel… looking at lots of bike hubs they all have really short flanges…

oh and tholub my wheel was not able to spin on saturday afternoon and when i removed the tyre the rim was coming within 5mm of the frame on one side, whereas now the entire rim is within 1mm of true so all is good untill either my spokes decide to stretch, they decide to break or the flanges bend some more, then i will have to tighten the spokes again…

i am not stressing but i just want this thread to come to conclusion that everybody is happy with