KH handle with Viscount

new?

nope but everything is pretty nice on it… the handle is kinda used and the cover is like new (fusion cover)… and my bolt pattern was moded to fit a rail adapter… cauz the normal viscount saddles dont fit the kh rail adapter

!!!

SUPER dead thread, my man.

I’m aware that this thread is dead but I’d really like to know the answer to this as well. I keep snapping my KH stiffener plate and it seems like this is a cheap solution.

Fyi, those metal plates that come in kh saddles aren’t made for stiffening. They bend like butter. They are made to hold the bolts in place and to keep them from spinning.

It seems that the only solution for the Street saddle crisis is:

1. After market seat stiffener plate. GB4 makes Miyata plates, but not KH?
  2. Viscount saddle mod (Does the UDC Classic saddle work?)
  3. Carbon fibre bases (Which I have recently broken :frowning: )

I’m calling it a “street saddle” crisis, mainly because I can’t help but have the odd bad landing whilst riding street, and when I do land badly I tend to break any seat which I am using at the time. This does not happen when I’m riding Trial, Muni, or Freestyle and thus the current saddle options are fine for these.

I’m curious about the classic saddle now, but I dunno. I have been thinking about saddles all week, since cracking my CF base and viscount had actually popped into my mind. I have welded a fairly strong plate for my KH plastic base which should hold up for a while, but the flex is disgusting after riding only CF (I don’t like riding other peoples uni’s more so if they don’t have CF :stuck_out_tongue: )

Same here, and not only does the seat break but the plate on top of the seatpost bends for me. Would the CrMo post help that much? (I’m currently using steel)

Yeah, the cromo are way thicker at the top, and the cromo itself is much stronger. Highly recommend the upgrade if your killing steel posts.

UDC just got in this CrMO post for my size frame, it doesn’t look all that much thicker at the top but it looks like I’ll give it a go: http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=1020

I was talking to the big KH about the seat situation and how they seem to be one of the few areas of unicycling lacking any significant recent innovation, this was his response:

It’s good to know that we’ve got the right guy working on it and hopefully in the not too distant future we will end up with a solid stock saddle.

Classic saddle + KH handle = easy!

This is my new Trials/Street seat.

http://www.unicyclist.com/index.php?page=gallery&g2_itemId=324056

I have not tested it extensively, I could also replace the stock bolts at the front to make it stronger (if the bolts pull from the saddle)

I have made a little essay on the subject on NZUni forums.
If you plan everything well, the modification can be done in under an hour. When I did this the first time it took more like 2 hours, but Tony modded one in under an hour.

Here is my essay:
http://unicycle.org.nz/bb/viewtopic.php?t=1569

Awesome! Thanks for going ahead and giving it a shot… let us know how it holds up, if it does well I’ll be getting one.

Side by side, is the classic noticeably heavier than a kh?

This has the seat listed as 100g heavier. Plus I guess the weight of the handle.

http://www.unicycle.uk.com/PriceList.asp

There’s a whole lot less padding which probably makes up for the heavier base.

Joe

It would have to be heavier than the KH, and the CF I have been so used to riding. But the fact that it isn’t flexy and didn’t cost so much $ makes up for that. I will certainly post again when I start to destroy it, hopefully it keeps working for a while tho.

This is what I want to know, I want to know how well it holds up compared to the CF base. I was thinking of welding a gusset on the seatpost which extends beyond the bracket of it at the top to support the seat. It would be similar to the stiff stick support beam reinforcement but I think the force would be more evenly distributed.

like this?

JFoss should be able to tell you more about it.

Oh yeah, just like that, I wasn’t even aware that its been done before. I didn’t think about bolting the handle through it too, thats great to give it rigidity for when you are pulling up. I wonder how well that ended up working. I was considering doing one in the back as well that goes further down the post to keep the post from bending. I need to be careful with my frame though, its an 06 DX thats already been welded by Torker once.

It works great. Fugeo has made atleast 2 I know, Cody has had like three and i made one for a freind. It makes the seat 100% flex free, even less flex than cf bases.