KH 36 Review

Hey,

The semi-round crown on the KH frames is essentially a round crown frame with the top of the round part truncated. That takes advantage of the only part of a round crown that really matters - taking off the corner that can bash your knees.

Truncating the top of the round crown works well for trials/muni in that it gives you a place to stand, and it works well for a 36’er road frame in that it’s possible to minimize the crown width without having to worry about completing the radius of curvature of a fully rounded crown. In other words, a crown made in this style can be narrower, not wider, than a full round crown. Knurling the crown on the KH36 is admittedly redundant; it’s there just because it’s easier for production on small quantities if the crown is identical between frames. The crown width on the KH36 needs to have enough clearance to fit all available tires; hence the current width.

Kris

FWIW, I like the knurling and the flat crown. There are some of us who like to wheel walk and 1-foot ride on our KH36 unis.

corbin

That sounds good! Less parts to get powdercoated if you don’t want standard blue.

Unfortunately I can’t just buy the frame to upgrade my nimbus unicycle. I’m a nobody and like occasionally putting my feet on the frame, the Nimbus doesn’t really cater for that. I haven’t tried a KH36 and don’t feel the flex since I have nothing to compare it to. I wish I had built a narrower wheel though instead of getting the superwide hub, but I guess at the time the wide one was the best option for the Nimbus frame. Keep the knurling it doesn’t detract from it! The knurling is no less redundant than a rider posting on a unicycle forum instead of riding.

As I was reading these arguments, I couldn’t help but think of you and Beau and you guys gliding your cokers.