KH 2009 Saddle & Stiffener Plate

Mine loosened at first, but have stayed tight the last couple rides. Use loctite, but beware, if you make it too hard to unloosen them, then you’ll have to pull the cover to hold the inserts tight as you unscrew the post bolts. I’d use Loctite Blue.

This should not be necessary. If you gently pull the fabric of the cover forward to expose the threaded inserts you’ll be able to get the bolts in. I’ve mounted KH T-Bars on two saddles and a KH Reinforcing Plate on another without having to do any disassembly.

I did this too. However I was able to use lock washers without any difficulty.

I didn’t bother installing those end caps as, to me, they serve little purpose. Since your bar-ends are intended to be mounted flush with the ends of the cross-bar, there’s little risk of protruding edges. You could try whacking the end-caps in with a mallet if you really wanted I guess. Thats how I’ve installed these caps on bikes I’ve owned.

Tony- thanks for pointing out some of the assembly details.

In general you can push the saddle cover fabric out of the way by assembling (putting the bolts through) the stiffner plate and two angle pieces before you put it on the saddle, and then use the protruding bolts to push the fabric away from the holes. I suggest that you mount and tighten the angle pieces BEFORE you secure the slotted tube, because there is more room for your hex key to tighten the saddle bolts.

Those end caps don’t fit the T-bar. They just come with the bar-ends that are of course designed for bikes, and the assembler put them in with the T-bar package. Just recycle them.

Kris

I had no problems with first, second or third time installation (playing around with it for reviewing purposes). yes it’s a little more fiddly getting in the allen bolts that the old 10mm nuts, and aligning everything for the first hole on the front bumper but I did it the same way as Tony no problem.

Hey, I was just wondering whether the new saddles would have a good position angle-wise even without the adjustable seat post. Because I’m about to order a street and a freeride one and I still have a Try-All seat post that I’d like to use then. Because I find that I don’t ever need to change the angle once it feels right, which is usually when the center part is not lower than the rear. Or will I have to get the adjustable seat posts as well? Would get pretty expensive then.

I realize it should not be necessary to disassemble the seat, and I spent 30 min trying to pull the fabric out of the way to catch the bolt. It worked fine for the right side, but I could not get the left side to work. After trying to do it the easy way, I gave up and did it the hard way in 15 min. There may be some trick to it that I just did not get.

I am very happy with the handle bars, but it was frustrating putting it together.

In comparison to my 08’ Freeride, it looks to be the same. I use the adjustable seat posts because I like to have more microadjusting freedom. If anything, the only problem I found on prior KH seats and non adjustable posts was that I couldn’t get the seat to extremes, neither way up nor way flat.

The new seat is nice, it’s worth getting if you need a new seat.

I broke down and bought a stiffener plate for my muni, mounted up pretty quickly, had a little trouble finagling the bolts, but got it okay. It only comes with four bolts, so I used two of the longer stock grab handle bolts for the seat/plate intersection.

It does seem significantly stiffer, though there’s still some flex in the handle and possibly at the seat/seat post attachment. I’d say that the 2009 KH seat with plate decreases flex by 50% over the 2008 KH seat.

It doesn’t seem that heavy either.

Hey. This is just a quick post from the road.

I’ve been touring with my dad in the Adirondacks for the last week. The new seat and handle have been great. Really the perfect riding position for me.

On an uphill climb, though, my touring handle snapped almost clean off no upd just ripped at the weld where the tube attaches to the part where the two tubes slide into on another. Sort of hard to explain.

I have pictures but can’t upload them right now as I’m writing this from and iPhone.

Managed to get it rewelded, though.

Seeing as this happened from only my partial weight on the bar, I wouldn’t be surprised if this becomes a common problem with the new handle

i put my 09 street saddle on in 5-10min i just put the reinforcement plate over the front string worked well.

also i have a KH reinforced seat post and have the front all the way up and i can ride 15kms straight on a trials and its nice the whole way

Oh no, I already ordered mine… I hope it’ll last a bit longer than yours. I thought those products were tested prior to being released. In my opinion this should be under warranty too, so people should really get a replacement part for free when that happens.

Well, it didn’t last long:

Hey,

Thanks for posting. I have had produced an upgraded stronger version of the slotted tube, that uses much thicker sidewall tubing. It will be available as soon as possible. Once it is ready, it will be available as a trade-in for the slotted tube in the T-bar, and for warranty exchange.

Kris

Yep, mine broke exactly the same way. Thanks for fixing that problem kris. How will the exchange work?

Also interested. I have since gotten mine welded. Will I need to send in my now functioning piece?

Great, I was hoping for something like this. Thanks, Kris!

Once they are in, I’ll post about it and you can talk to the place you got it about getting a replacement mailed to you. They are on a rush order with the manufacturer, but I don’t exactly know the timing of delivery yet. I am basically happy with the design except that this tube was weaker than I had hoped. The new tube is 22.2/28.6 instead of 22.2/25.4. It will come with a new seatpost clamp to fit it. Thanks for your patience!

Kris

Hey, is there any news about the improved part? Is it finished yet?

Hopefully it will be finished in about a week and a half. Translation: perhaps 4 weeks by the time it can get to UDC’s. The replacement comes with a new seatpost clamp to fit the larger (28.6 mm) outside diameter of the slotted tube.

Thanks for your patience.

Kris

Okay, thanks for the update. I’m glad I didn’t agree to wait for my whole order with the new 26" frame and stuff until the spare part arrives… They’ll send it to me later then.