KH 2008 Uni Product Launch

But it’s an alu seat post, so it won’t rust, so it doesn’t matter.

Compared to the ridiculously small amount of adjustment you got on the old ones, this is great - you don’t have to get the post length perfect to the nearest mm, and other people can have a go on it.

Joe

Hey,

I should have mentioned that the bottom of the post, dropped through the crown, is capped. It looks better and there is no hole for mud to get through.

Kris

So: one piece posts, Ti hub, longneck frames ad flat material from KH.
I see that you realy worked at the stuff people were asking for.
Good job.
Any info on the price of the longneck frame and Ti hub?

Hi Kris!

Congratulations on your new line… I can’t wait to see the Ti Hub and the double crown frame!

Everbody here loves you :smiley:

You did a lot for the sport, and we just have to thank you! :wink:

Best regards from Brazil!

On the Trailmix pedals the allen key hole is in the end of the threaded section, accessible from the back. It is tough to use if you really want to get your pedals tight, so I wouldn’t use it if I had a real pedal wrench, but it is great as a just-in-case way to tighten the pedals on rides if they come loose and you don’t have a wrench. Note that Trailmix pedals tighten with a 17 mm wrench, not the 15 mm standard. That is a bit of a pain but I suspect Odyssey did that because many BMX riders will likely use a standard wrench, not a real pedal wrench.

During testing the flanges on the Ti hub held up for both myself and Ryan Atkins, who rode one for about 6 months. People are brutal on these things though and I suspect that a badly maintained wheel (loose spokes) is probably worse on flanges than a well-maintained one, so “nothing is forever” probably still applies to a Ti hub. That said, the elastic properties of Ti work well for flanges. In terms of what they were designed for- they can replace the CrMo hub for anyone willing to spend the $$.

Weights on the new products won’t be posted immediately on the new site- still have to get to that.

Kris

I don’t have prices yet. Likely prices will go up somewhat, not so much due to the upgrades, but rather due to the high price of oil and metals.

Kris

I’ll have it all, in a bucket, with a fried egg on top…

And just because it’s all mixed up in a bucket don’t skimp on the ti hubs…

Damn oilcompanies :angry:
But the products will still be cheap enough I think

“KH 2008 Uni Product Launch, huh? I doubt there’s any big improvements, those are great products already…”

reads post

faints

Hey, Matt Bender! I know that guy!

Can’t wait for pics :smiley:

I wouldn’t hold your breath, especially on the titanium hub. The metal market in the states has skyrocketed. That’s one of the main factors holding up production for my frames and seatpost’s.

To tell you the truth the KH 08 line up sounds stellar. I can’t wait to see how everything looks and I don’t even care for his products all too much. Titanium hub is definatley going to be interesting, price wise and performance.

Edit: Forgot he doesn’t produce his products here in the U.S. Well maybe materials are drastically cheaper in Tawain or wherever it is.

Any idea of size(s), price (more, less, or same as moments?), or/and color (black, right?)?

Hey,

About the doublecrown frame: the idea came from Matt Bunting, not Matt Bender. Sorry Matt about the typo on your name!

Kris

This is really awesome stuff Kris! The Ti hub sounds really good, but it is an expensive material! Is this going to bump the prices of KH unis up a lot? and what colour is it offered in? Black and Raw Ti (with clearcoat maybe?) would be nice

For the frames, what sort of offerings are there colour-wise? Polished, signature Blue, how about matte/glossy black, and maybe even a silk-brushed look like XTPs?

If there’s any chance of 40mm bearings being made for the hubs, I’d jump on the bangwagon straightaway!

The rims also sound good, is it pretty much exactly the same spec as the previous year’s rim? (I’m on about the 19" version), except oval holes instead of round punched ones? If so, it’s a pretty new idea put into action , and would definitely make an impact on the biketrials scene too! Everyone in BT is getting tired of the same old generic rims being produced under different brands’ markings, so this new concept should be popular.

All-round great stuff, i’m looking forward to pictures :slight_smile:

Suhong

Suhong,

Thanks for the comments. The CrMo hubs are standard spec on the unis, not the Ti hub, so that won’t affect the price there. The aftermarket Ti hub is bare titanium. Be warned- it is expensive!

I am working on a 40 mm bearing setup (aftermarket) for the Moment hubs but that isn’t available yet.

The rim stock itself is similar to 07. What’s changed is that the holes on the visible side have been altered to a pressed oval shape to keep the cutout but increase the amount of metal around the eyeletted spoke holes. Making the spokes offset also moves the spoke eyelet into a place with more metal around it, in addition to having a stronger geometry.

Frames are all signature blue, except for the doublecrown frame which is polished bare aluminum.

Kris

Cool, sounds good Kris!

As for rims, it’s normally on drilled rims that the little area between the spoke holes and the bigger drilled holes that break… but only really on the non-visible side where the rimtape would be seated. I’ve seen dozens of rims die that way, especially at Joe’s hands.

It’s not so much an issue on bigger rims like 24 and 26, but especially with 19" 36h rims specifically, since it’s such a small diameter with many spokes holes, the little bridge of metal between the large drilled holes and spoke holes can be as little as 1-2mm thin. Slightly worrying :stuck_out_tongue: 32h 19" rims get away with it better though… but unis aren’t 32h normally so, blah.

Maybe I misread somewhere and this particular issue has already been rectified

i’m very pleased to hear about the 40mm bearings! Finally I have another decent splined option for The Ti. The ISIS Ti hub will be a fair bit lighter than its CrMo cousin for those weight weenies out there! :). I shudder to think how light The Ti can get with a Ti ISIS hub and some skimpy thin Tensile cranks to go with it!

Ahh… too much Capoeira and biketrials, i need to make room for uni again!

Umm no muni?! :thinking: Please tell me its all better and stuff.

yay

Reinforced frame, better rim, better seatposts, and better brake lever.

Didnt you read the first page?