Karapoti 2006- my best ever result!!!

Awesome Ken! You are sick the way you push yourself. An inspiration to others.

Get this: The other day I was riding with a small group on a trail in Auburn, when from the other direction (on narrow singletrack with a very steep dropoff to the river) comes a tandem with a man and woman on it.

“Hi John, how are you?” – Uh, it must be Jim and Cathy Haagen-Smit, the leaders of FATRAC (Folsom-Auburn Trail Riders Action Coalition, the builders and maintainers of many of our local trials). I haven’t seen them in years! I guess I’m easy to recognize. So are they, as the only tandem riders I’ve ever seen on technical singletrack.

Cathy said “Last year we went to New Zealand and rode in the Karapoti Classic. There were a couple of unicyclists in the race and they made us think of you.”

“Wow, sounds like Ken Looi and friends!” I said.

Blank stares. Then, “That name sounds familiar. A little Asian guy? That must be him!”

I told them there aren’t that many of us, so it’s easier to keep track. Also I told them about your 24 hour record.

New Zealand to California? It’s a small world I guess…

I remember meeting those guys at the Karapoti! They were on their tandem, and were one of the few tandem finishers. (There were a few other tandems but some had mechanical problems and DNF’ed.) They mentioned having met or knowing of mountain unicyclists in California.

California to New Zealand? The world isn’t all that small anymore. You just get on a plane, watch a couple of movies, and a couple hours later, you’re on a Coker Muni ride with Tony in New Zealand. Or endlessly riding with Ken. Happens all the time.

—Nathan

Yeah, I remember meeting them last year too! And they did mention there being some mountain unicyclists residing in California :wink:

Tony- we got to jump on a plane to California some time…maybe meet some of these people…

Ken

Been there already, Ken! :smiley: I learnt to ride and bought my first unicycle there when I was a fourth former!

Yeah, a trip to California would be cool - especially for a Cali Muni Weekend. :sunglasses: