K H 2 9

KH29 Strength, drop height etc.

What sort of punishment can the KH29 reasonably deal with? I’m not trying to break it or anything, but what are peoples thoughts on drop height and such?

Are you talking urban riding? I’ve dropped up to about 18" on my KH29 onto dirt trails (with a nice roll out), and it feels solid. I’m pretty sure it could handle more with my 140 lb. body, but I don’t really have any desire to push the limits.

Yeah, mainly urban. I’ve hoped down 3 stairs (a tad more than 18"?) a few times, and that doesn’t feel too bad, but I get the feeling that’s close to the limit.

Lucky dog

Lucky dog, I really want a KH 29" but WAF (wife acceptance factor) kicked in.

So its either a Bedford 29" or Torker 29"

I think the Bedford is the way to go but its more expensive than Torker.

Oh well enjoy.

Hopefull my turn will be soon.

:wink:

The vertical “limit” probably depends on whether you’re hopping straight forward or sideways. I think the rim and spokes are probably the weakest part of the unicycle. So static side hopping a big gap is probably much worse than rolling hopping or dropping forward onto a trail. Be sure to keep the wheel nicely tensioned and trued.

I think you should look into the Nimbus 29er with the new ISIS hub, its just $254 and has the strong hub. For just a bit more you could upgrade the rim and/or cranks to make it just as strong as the KH for a fraction of the cost: http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=1064

To upgrade the nimbus ISIS cranks to KH moments it costs $50 dollars and I’m not sure what it would cost to upgrade to the KH rim but to buy it alone as a spare part its $45. For around $350 dollars you could have a 29er comparable in strength to the KH - though a bit heavier due to the frame.

It’s my Turn, 29er on the way

It’s my turn. I ordered my bedford 29er this weekend.

Pretty much stock except powder coated Orange and matching seat.
Kenda tires.

Not sure how many sleeps till it arrives.

Oh boy.

Creamsicle Arrived

My 29er arrived from Darren Bedford.

Ordered this Sunday, Arrived on Thursday. Not too shabby.

The powder coat really reminds me of a creamsicle so I’ve named it accordingly.

So far 10 kilometers of riding breezed right by.

Its comfortable and fast.

Yupper, I’m gonna enjoy this.

It’ll withstand stress like that better if he upgrades to 13 gauge spokes.

What do you guys recommend for the seat angle? I’ve tried moving it but all it does is feel different, I can’t decide which way is better…

i dont have a 29 but got a KH24 and im not sure about the angle but it is def upright, that is to say the back is lower than the front.

I met a unicyclist a few days ago who just bought a KH 29er…it looks great! The dual drilled isis cranks = perfection! Such a great idea to implement that standard on that uni.

I like mine in the middle somewhere, but everyone is different. If I were you, I’d start in the middle and then change it if it feels uncomfortable. I don’t understand the upright positioning some prefer because it puts more saddle right up in my business.

I can see your point, phlegm, but here’s why I do it: on my Qu-Ax muni (which I refitted with a rail post and the associated accoutrements) I like the back of my seat to be angled just slightly forward, but otherwise parallel to the ground. I would rather have a little more saddle up in my business than sore buttocks after a ride. For my particular physiology, I find this to be the most comfortable compromise.

Yeah, I have the back half of my saddle pretty much horizontal. This stops me sliding forward, and even though it looks nasty, ends up with less “up in the bisiness”

But i’d rather have sore buttocks than sore… you know… :thinking: