Just ordered a 28"

All,

Soon I will be dipping my toes into the world of Commuter unicycling. I just ordered the Semcycle XL 700c (28- or 29-inch) with Kovachi Wheel. [ http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=70 ] I also ordered the air seat conversion option along with it so that I can have longer rides. It is no Coker, but I need to work up to that (if I ever do … I hope to be satisfied with the 28").

I picked the 300 mm seat post, and the 125 mm (short) crank option (even though I have hills in my neighborhood, in general the area here is flat), and the 2.1 x 29 " Nanoraptor tire. My Miyata Air Seat is Blue, with a Gold Roach Cover.

[ I also ordered a Schwinn wheel set and 300 mm sem schwinn-compliant seat post for my 1985 schwinn, but that’s a different deal. ]

I expect to get everything within a couple of weeks. Now I need to get a CamelBak (or however you spell it) and maybe I need to get Roach to custom make some leg armor for me (big legs).

Should I consider a helmet upgrade? How fast can one expect to go on such a cycle?

I personally am frightened by going fast, but I want to get used to a decent pace, because I hope one day if Chris ever feels up to it again that he and I might be able to do some longer commutes and weekend trips for fun.

Well, just wanted to share my joy at the purchase! I can’t wait!

Lewis

Ride that big wheel, wild man. Don’t be surprised to find that it is difficult to get on initially with that big wheel and short cranks. Try duct taping some bubble-wrap to those monster calves instead of Roach armor. You’re a trend setter, big guy.

It will take you 10 to 50 miles of riding to get used to something so dramatically different from that to which you are accustomed. Then the speed will come and you will want more, more, more, like a velocity junkie.

Re: Just ordered a 28"

oh dear, uhh, mmmph, arrrgmp,rofl. BWAA-HA-HA-HA-HRMPH.

oh yeah just one more, thatt’s all , y’all know i can quit at ANY time, uh-huh. :wink:

My 28" with 150mm cranks doesn’t feel a lot faster than
my 24". Whereas on the 24" I can keep up with slow
joggers, the 28" can just barely out-run the fastest
joggers. The transition from 24" to 28" was pretty
easy for me. I successfully freemounted it the first
time and was able to do most tricks right away.

Greg,

Thanks, I think. :slight_smile: I don’t want to set a trend in having tape on my legs until I set a trend in shaving my legs. Once it becomes a trend (so that everybody is shaving my legs), it won’t be such a hassle to move up to the tape.

I am worried about the short cranks and the big wheel. I am currently still incapable of doing a normal mount … I can only seem to do a rollback mount. So, I may be forced to learn a new mount, or else get really good with a rollback mount on short cranks on a hill in 100 degree weather when I’m tired and dehydrated. Ahem.

Oh, and sorry if my .5 beta test was minimal and boiled down to “I couldn’t mount it, it scared me, but it wasn’t too hard to ride and steer and have fun as long as I could cheat and use a sign.” Maybe in the future, after some 28" experience, I will be able to have more of an opinion when you design the 1.667 hub. That’d be cool on a 28 incher. Make it support 48 spokes. :slight_smile:

Thanks,

Lewis

Re: Re: Just ordered a 28"

Pepper,

If you are talking about my unicycle habit, my strategy from the beginning was to get one that I would try on (United Trainer). If I liked that one, and I did, I planned to get deeply into it.

So in addition to the 24" United, I have been planning to get a 24" off-road, a 20" trials, a 28" distance cycle, and some form of 26" as well (probably for general road riding).

The possibility of a Coker is still distant for me. If I can’t learn to mount the 28" cycle, I won’t even consider getting a Coker.

Lewis

I wonder if the 125 mm cranks might be too short for me. Still, I’m going to go for it. I can’t forward mount (I rollback mount) yet, so I don’t know what kind of difficulty I’m going to face to learn to ride the 28".

Also, I am not sure I plan to do any tricks on the 28" because the rim is durable enough for riding but at 240 lbs I shouldn’t put too many forces on the rim, cranks, etc.

Lewis

animation

cool to see you got one too,curious to here your opinion i am.

it is true that "its no Coker"as you say,but a Coker is no 29er either.

RE: Just ordered a 28"

> Should I consider a helmet upgrade? How fast can one expect to go on
> such a cycle?

I used to be able to go 17mph on a 24" with 125mm cranks. You could probably
get up to 20 or more.

> I personally am frightened by going fast, but I want to get used to a
> decent pace,

For me, the big dividing line is running speed. As long as you’re within
your own running speed, you have much better chances of not getting hurt in
a dismount. Also ride within your abilities. Always leave some extra
available speed on top of whatever you’re doing, to catch you on a bump, or
if you lean too far forward.

A helmet will never hurt you, and makes you look more like a cyclist and
less like a kook on a unicycle.

Soon I hope we will have races for 700c unicycles…

Stay on top,
John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
jfoss@unicycling.com

“Vehicularly-Injured Sperm-Count seat: better known by it’s abbreviated
name, Viscount.” David Stone, on saddle preference

Re: RE: Just ordered a 28"

john_foss@asinet.com writes:
>> Should I consider a helmet upgrade? How fast can one expect to go on
>> such a cycle?
>
>I used to be able to go 17mph on a 24" with 125mm cranks. You could
>probably
>get up to 20 or more.
Those are impressive speeds, BTW. Please keep in mind that John Foss is an
extremely fast rider. Your results may vary. My brother has a 28" uni and
never got it up to 20mph, partly bc his cranks are a wee bit longer, I
believe. 15mph is still fast on a 28" – lotsa pedaling!

>
>> I personally am frightened by going fast, but I want to get used to a
>> decent pace,
>
>For me, the big dividing line is running speed. As long as you’re within
>your own running speed, you have much better chances of not getting hurt
>in
>a dismount. Also ride within your abilities. Always leave some extra
>available speed on top of whatever you’re doing, to catch you on a bump,
>or
>if you lean too far forward.
True, sprinting speed is a good standard for a comfortable uni racing
speed. If you can run out of a UPD, you’re going to be ok most of the
time. 28" unis can go a nice pace for sure and have the skinny tire and
smaller wheel to allow for easier sidewalk riding than a Coker. I would
keep the tire pressure up as high as allowable (get an air seat if the
ride is too bumpy) – maximum psi allows for greater speed and
maneuverability.

David

Co-founder, Unatics of NY
1st Sunday / 3rd Saturday
@ Central Park Bandshell
1:30 start time after 11/1/01

Jagur,

I ordered today so maybe in a couple weeks I will have it (allowing for build time and UPS time). I’ll let everybody know how I do with it at that time.

John,

I think I’m a little too old even for all that. :slight_smile:

Actually, I am a fast sprinter. It surprises most people because I am pretty big. I can out-sprint the short, fast dudes at my work.

That bit of arrogance aside, I don’t think I would be too comfortable falling down and forward at a speed equal to my sprint speed, much less 17mph or something crazy like that. (Actually I have no idea what sprint speeds typically are.)

But yes I am cautious so I expect to be going slow quite a bit at first. My biggest challenge is just going to be to mount the sucker.

I may have to make it my duty to try to get a forward mount under my belt before it arrives. I have a week or two, and my Hunter is fairly heavy. I have had no luck to date, because I rely on a rollback mount. But I really need to get my forward mount success rate up from 1 in 20 to at least 1 in 5.

All,

Thanks for the posts and the help!

Lewis

Re: Re: RE: Just ordered a 28"

David,

Thanks for the reply. I am not sure how the 2.1" x 29" Nanoraptor compares to the Coker wheel, but I definitely prefer higher tire pressures on street. I did get the air seat as part of my order, so I hope to be OK on that one.

My concern is the mount. Must practice before I get it. Must.

Lewis

I personally sprint at a fairly low Mach number … something below one.

Re: Re: Re: Just ordered a 28"

Should be viewed in context of:

And is more amuesing with the bubble wrap and aquard mounting references.

-C-

Chris,

I’m not amused. Whenever I want you to ride, you complain of some kind of headache.

Likely story,

Lewis

:slight_smile:

In article <Animation.54d1n@timelimit.unicyclist.com>,
Animation <Animation.54d1n@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:
)
)Thanks for the reply. I am not sure how the 2.1" x 29" Nanoraptor
)compares to the Coker wheel, but I definitely prefer higher tire
)pressures on street. I did get the air seat as part of my order, so I
)hope to be OK on that one.
)
)My concern is the mount. Must practice before I get it. Must.

My Pashley has that tire. I find the only mount that reliably works is
a jump mount; at 5’10" I’m not tall enough to get the seat firmly
ensconced with my foot on the pedal; when I hop up, weird things happen.
You might want to try working on jumping up–it’s not that hard.
-Tom

I wouldn’t worry too much. I think that a larger wheel is easer to learn to rolling mount than a smaller wheel.
Also the 125mm cranks shouldn’t be too short during Unicycle Across Minnesota most of the people on 28" unicycles had 102’s or 110’s on their unicycle.

peter

Re: Re: Just ordered a 28"

Actually I already have a decent success ratio at the jump mount … 25% cold, and 40% or more when I have done 5-10 or more in a row. It probably won’t take much for me to get that one more consistent, especially on a larger wheel. More mass means more time to work it, to a degree.

Lewis

Really? Well the rolling mount is my standard mount already, so maybe everything will be fine.

Thanks,

Lewis

Animation <Animation.54zhy@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote in message news:<Animation.54zhy@timelimit.unicyclist.com>…

> Really? Well the rolling mount is my standard mount already, so maybe
> everything will be fine.

Lewis,

are you not confusing rolling mount and rollback mount? I made this
same mistake recently and from you earlier writings I was under the
impression that your standard mount was rollback.

Klaas Bil

The Echelon thingy is tired today.