Just got an ominous message from youtube!

Damn! UMG (Universal music group) apparently has made a “claim” against one of my videos for “music content”. It seems a bit vague and unclear. It’s obviously about using copyrited material (Music) in videos, but last I checked, EVERYBODY uses copyrited music in their uni vids…and other videos, at least the vast majority. And it says that the use has been “authorized”, but then goes on to other stuff. So I’m not sure if I could be in trouble and liable for monetary damages or whatever. Has anybody else received this message?
Here’s the email:

Dear YouTube Member:
UMG has claimed some or all audio content in your video Unicycling: Uni-Geezer 4: “New Heights” (Extreme Unicycling). This claim was made as part of the YouTube Content Identification program.
Your video is still live because UMG has authorized the use of this content on YouTube. As long as UMG has a claim on your video, they will receive public statistics about your video, such as number of views. Viewers may also see advertising on your video’s page.
Claim Details:
Copyright owner: UMG Content claimed: Some or all of the audio content Policy: Allow this content to remain on YouTube.

• [B]Send public statistics[/B] about this video to UMG.
Applies to these locations: Everywhere UMG claimed this content as a part of the YouTube Content Identification program. YouTube allows partners to review YouTube videos for content to which they own the rights. Partners may use our automated video / audio matching system to identify their content, or they may manually review videos. Sincerely, The YouTube Content Identification Team

Haha

I think their using you, as free advertising. Thats what i got out of it, their allowing it, essentially their sponsoring you, by letting you use that song. Yeah… thats both a good thing and bad thing imo.

I think that they chose you because your vides have a lot of views!

Anyway that sucks… I hope that they will see that you just want to show your amazing skills with a cool song!

Bye!

It seems like a lot of sites are starting to look out for that now. I uploaded a video to facebook and an hour later they deleted it for copyright infringement and Cody had the same thing happen to him with myspace…except he tried to upload it like 6 times after they deleted it so they threatened to delete his account.

One fact that made this corporations look for song corpyrights is that now in a lot of sites and softwares you can download just the song of the video… I did this a while ago… The quality is poor… but if you do not find the song on P2P softwares, this is an option…

I got the same message for one of my videos. Now there’s an advertisement on that page :/. Whatever.

Wait… I thought that it was only copyright infringment when you tried to sell it.

I have no experience with copyrights, or this sort legal stuff, but think…

If UMG has the copyright on that music on your video, they must act to protect their copyright, else they will loose their claim to the copyright. Sounds to me that they are basically allowing you to use the music so they gain from the advertising. Thus sorta employing you in their behalf, so that you are no longer infringing on the copyright.

I think you should consider it a compliment.

Someone may correct me.

Wow, just take the video down and put it back up, that’ll show them to mess with you :stuck_out_tongue:

If you do that you risk upsetting them.

As everyone else has said Terry, theres no reason for you to worry. If they were going to pursue legal action they would have removed the video completely.

Nope, its any unauthorized use. Copyright infringement - Wikipedia

Lol, I hadn’t even seen that vid for a long time and so I was surprised to see it’s had liek 7,000 views! :o It’s also more than a year now since I made that one! Time sure flies when…you’re old lol!

Wow. Is this going to start happening to the other millions upon millions of video’s out there with similar music content?

And so I guess we’ve ruled out spam right? Because that’s what I first thought when reading this…

That would be pretty useless spam, its not asking him to do or buy anything. I’d say its a 100% legit message.

Sounds like youtube’s way of whoring themselves…

It doesn’t read like an ominous message or a ‘claim’, just an auto notification as sent to others:

e.g.

http://www.kpsforum.com/general-discussion/17908-free-hugs-tribute.html

The video has been identified either manually or (more probably - 7000 isn’t enough views to attract human attention imo) automatically as infringing UMG copyright and in return for them allowing it to stay live on Youtube they have access to data re video and advertising, whether you like it or not :slight_smile:

Good move on the part of UMG and similar companies - it’s impossible to stem the flow of copyright misuse across the millions of online videos etc, this way they get access to data and advertising $, and the videos get to stay on youtube etc

Sounds to me like you got off lucky. The artists or copyright holders involved apparently have a fairly liberal take on such uses of their intellectual property. Others are not as friendly.

It’s copyright infringement whether you make money off of it or not.

I would be tempted to write a letter to them asking for permission to use the music for non-commercial purposes, explaining the details. Would be interesting to see what response, if any.

With a little work, you could probably hunt up some reasonably decent non-copyrighted music (or get permission to use it). Think garage bands.

There have been several times when I went to look for some “oldie” record online. I couldn’t find the song available online by itself, but could find it on Youtube. In some cases, it is live performances (liable to be lip syncing, in which case it’s the recording) or even just a video of the record playing on a record player.

Well I made a video and put it up on youtube and after a few days i went to see the vid and it said “Deleted due to infringment” or something. Could be infringment of the law as we were riding a pocket rocket on the road for a bit
BUT ALSO (the plot thickens) the music to the video just happened to be the same as yours, teen spirit…
???

There’s two other songs in my video in question; the message doesn’t specify which one, unless the rights to all three are owned by UMG, which I doubt.