just bought it

when I was 10 years old , I owned a unicylce and rode it
pretty well. Just a few weeks ago I bought another. Now,
I am 50 yrs old. My wife cringed when I first attempted to ride, but now, after a few riding sessions, she sees that I am pretty well balanced riding the thing.
My neighbors think its a hoot to see me riding.

I am interested to learn more. Can someone explain how to
turn gracefully or do I have do the herky jerky spin move to turn
direction and in time smooth it out… In other words, what the best way to learn how
to turn. I guess its a function of how skilled and comfortable I am on top of the cycle .

After learning to turn with more confidence, I’d like to learn how
to idle.

I will appreciate anyone’s input and advice on how to learn.

thanks

HH

I don’t know if it is just me, but when i first learned, my turns would be really jerky and eventually got smoother. They still are quite jerky, but better than before. I think its just like riding; it starts out not so great, then it gets smoother with practice.

Hope this helps
-John

Re: just bought it

welcome on the forum!

i found it easiest to look in the direction i wanted to turn to and give a slightly harder push down on that side pedal when it came around

there have been numerous threads about turning
take a look at some of

these

who suggested the ‘wall drill’?

HH.
First thing Welcome to this site. Now for your ideas about Idle And Turns.

1: Try to find a post or a pole to learn to Idle to. A wall could be good. I find a post or a pole is better when I learn to ride on my 20’ Wheel. Just try with one hand on the post or pole while Idling. Don’t Idle to fast just slowly is the best and then work yourself gradually when you get the hack of it. Keep practising.

2: Try using your Hips to turn. Don’t turn to sharply or you lose your balance.

You’ll get there, Even at 50 years old for you should be ok at your age. Just keep on practising and you will get there. I agree what Dave Gild just said there too. Keep us posted. Cheers.

David

Turning:

Ride straight along and swivel your hips like a hula dancer. You should swerve back and forth down the road. If you hold your hip in the HU or the LA position for a longer period, you should maintain that turn.

Also, I find it helps to thrust your opposite shoulder forward and hold it there. (i.e. right shoulder forward and you will veer to the left) This also works backwards for riding backwards, but that’ll come later.

I’m 44 and tell the same story as you. You’ll be surprised at how things have advanced. And how much help this forum can be. (save your pennies, you’ll be eyeing other unis soon)

HH, welcome back to the wonderful world of Unicycling!

All great advice above on turning. My only advice would be to tell you to get more seat time. The more you ride, the better you get. SEAT TIME, Seat time, seat time!

I am only 10 years you junior. It is great to see some folks older than me riding… so gain, Welcome HH. Hahaha :smiley:

As for neighbors, I was riding across the backyard several nights ago, and unbeknowst to me, my next door neighbors had a big group of friends sitting on their back porch. Well, when I got to my garage door and dismounted, they all started hooting, hollering and clapping, and said “Thanks for the show!” “That’s Cool” etc… --chirokid–

welcome, you’ll be gracefully turning soon enough.

here’s what I noticed when learning to turn…

i found that my outside leg would be repsonsible for most of the power, and my inside leg just rotating around with the pedal.

This led to a choppy pedal stroke, and basically with every stroke of the outside pedal going from 12 to 3 oclock, this is where I would pivot into the turn, making a 4 point turn instead of a smooth curve.

Try to maintain fluid pedal strokes with equal pressure from each leg.

This will help out on very beginner turns. Soon, you will notice that you can lean the unicycle a lot more…

If you are riding straight, and wish to turn to the right…

Get some more speed going that you have previously done in a turn.

As you start the turn (remember the even pedal pressure) lean the unicycle over to the right by bending at the hips to the left, your uni will be angled, but you will still be fairly upright. (except for a bend in the hips

Counter your now thrown off balance with some arm leverage, and you’ve gone through a nice, smooth, turn.

It comes with practice.

Keep us informed of your progress!

thanks for the input and encouragement. I am truly
amazed at the skill level that I see is pssible with a unicycle.
No doubt, the best way for me to advance is to spend
time on the unicycle. Just riding around will lead me to
advancing.

HH

Re: just bought it

HH,

Welcome on the forum (or newsgroup as I would say). Good advice on
turning from everyone. I would like to make a comment on this:

On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 03:45:34 -0500, djm
<djm.rqern@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:

>Don’t
>Idle to fast just slowly is the best

The idea of idling is that your wheel swings back and forth under you,
while the rider stays more or less in the same place. If you practice
idling too slowly, you are merely riding forward, then backward, then
forward etc. That is not what you should do. Also, if you idle too
slowly it will be more difficult to maintain balance. Just guessing
without having measured: on a 20" wheel the idling frequency should be
about 1 per second, on a 24" wheel it is usually somewhat less.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

“the helmet is to protect the brain, not replace it. - iunicycle”

Re: Re: just bought it

I have to say thanks to Klaas Bil there to Clarified that up for me.
I don’t mean…, Idle too slowly there, Just enough movement to Idle on your unicycle. It was to late to re-edit it again so many thanks to Klaas Bil to Re-Clarified that up for me. I agree with his topic there.

David