Jump mount

I have just learned to jump mount my 20" Torker and then my 24" Zephyr. I found it unbelievably easy to do. Scary, but I did it first time and haven’t failed once. I seem to remember some folks saying that they jump mount their Cokers. How many have done this and with what kind of success? The seat on my Coker is at about armpit level to me. Is that about the same as for everyone else?

forum.member@unicyclist.com (harper) writes:
>I have just learned to jump mount my 20" Torker and then my 24" Zephyr. I
>found it unbelievably easy to do. Scary, but I did it first time and
>haven’t failed once. I seem to remember some folks saying that they jump
>mount their Cokers. How many have done this and with what kind of
>success? The seat on my Coker is at about armpit level to me. Is that
>about the same as for everyone else?
There are really a lot of ways to freemount a Coker, and I usually use a
jump mount, but there are plenty of occasions for a sort of walking mount
or a regular mount (where you just need a lot of momentm and balance).

I can’t say that I jump mount and land both feet at once…that would be
cool. But I walk at a quick clip, hop onto the back pedal with my
chocolate foot (while the vanilla foot is in the air) and then land the
back foot without changing the rotation of the wheel (tho I often
stillstand for a second, too). Basically I treat it like a jump mount on a
regular (say, 24 or 26") uni, only there is a greater need for momentum
and, at the point where I am about to start riding, balance.

Hope this helps.

David Stone Co-founder, Unatics of NY

–part1_22.2202171c.29756016_boundary

By jump mount, are you referring to suicide mount? A suicide mount on a
Coker would be impressive. Joe

> forum.member@unicyclist.com (harper) writes:
> >I have just learned to jump mount my 20" Torker and then my 24" Zephyr.
> >I found it unbelievably easy to do. Scary, but I did it first time and
> >haven’t failed once. I seem to remember some folks saying that they
> >jump mount their Cokers. How many have done this and with what kind of
> >success? The seat on my Coker is at about armpit level to me. Is that
> >about the same as for everyone else?
>

There are really a lot of ways to freemount a Coker, and I usually use a
> jump mount,

–part1_22.2202171c.29756016_boundary Content-Type: text/html;
charset=“US-ASCII”

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT SIZE=2>By jump mount, are you
referring to suicide mount? A suicide mount on a Coker would be
impressive.<BR> Joe<BR> <BR> <BR> <BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE
style=“BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT:
0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px”>forum.member@unicyclist.com (harper) writes:<BR>
>I have just learned to jump mount my 20" Torker and then my 24"
Zephyr.<BR> >I found it unbelievably easy to do. Scary, but I did it
first time and<BR> >haven’t failed once. I seem to remember some folks
saying that they jump<BR> >mount their Cokers. How many have done this
and with what kind of<BR> >success? The seat on my Coker is at about
armpit level to me. Is that<BR> >about the same as for everyone
else?<BR> </FONT><FONT COLOR="#000000" style=“BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff
SIZE=2 FAMILY=“SANSSERIF” FACE=“Arial” LANG=“0”></BLOCKQUOTE><BR> <BR>
</FONT><FONT COLOR="#000000" style=“BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff” SIZE=2
FAMILY=“SANSSERIF” FACE=“Arial” LANG=“0”><BR> There are really a lot of
ways to freemount a Coker, and I usually use a</FONT><FONT COLOR="#000000"
style=“BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff” SIZE=2 FAMILY=“SANSSERIF” FACE=“Arial”
LANG=“0”><BR> </FONT><FONT COLOR="#000000" style=“BACKGROUND-COLOR:
#ffffff” SIZE=2 FAMILY=“SANSSERIF” FACE=“Arial” LANG=“0”><BLOCKQUOTE
TYPE=CITE style=“BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px;
MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px”>jump mount, </BLOCKQUOTE><BR> <BR>
</FONT></HTML> --part1_22.2202171c.29756016_boundary–

Myself and Miark at Eurocycle last year took quite some time trying to
perfect the suicide mount on the Coker. I agree it is a lot harder than it
might seam. I think we both succeeded in the end but neither of us were
very consistent at it. It might have been partly due to the vast
quantities of beer drunk that night though! :slight_smile:

As for seat heights on Cokers… the best explanation of seat height comes
from Sarah I think… I will let her tell.

Roger


The UK’s Unicycle Source http://www.unicycle.uk.com


----- Original Message ----- From: <Nycjoe@aol.com> To:
<rsu@unicycling.org> Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2002 10:36 AM Subject: Re:
Jump mount

> By jump mount, are you referring to suicide mount? A suicide mount on a
> Coker would be impressive. Joe
>
>
> > forum.member@unicyclist.com (harper) writes:
> > >I have just learned to jump mount my 20" Torker and then my 24"
> > >Zephyr. I found it unbelievably easy to do. Scary, but I did it first
> > >time and haven’t failed once. I seem to remember some folks saying
> > >that they
jump
> > >mount their Cokers. How many have done this and with what kind of
> > >success? The seat on my Coker is at about armpit level to me. Is that
> > >about the same as for everyone else?
> >
>
>
> There are really a lot of ways to freemount a Coker, and I usually use a
> > jump mount,

Roger Davies <Roger.Davies@octacon.co.uk> wrote:

> As for seat heights on Cokers… the best explanation of seat height
> comes from Sarah I think… I will let her tell.

Would that be a reference to my description of my coker saddle being at
tit hieght, perchance Roger?

sarah


British Unicycle Convention #9 April 19-21 2002 Unicycle Hockey,
Games, Muni rides, Quidditch and Barn dance Harry Cheshire High
School, Habberley rd, Kidderminster http://www.unicycle.org.uk/buc9/

>By jump mount, are you referring to suicide mount?

A HA! There’s one. A common, non-descriptive name for a skill that’s
widely known (at least in the UK). If you’ve seen the trick, the name
makes obvious sense.

In Standard Skill (where the tricks have boring descriptive names), this
is called a “jump mount” or “free jump mount”. The free version is where
you do it with no hands.

So now back to the confusion department: Does the name suicide mean it has
to be done with no hands? I don’t know where to look this up.

I have jump mounted my 45" big wheel, but I definitely have not done it
with no hands…

Stay on top, John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone jfoss@unicycling.com
www.unicycling.com

“455 newsgroup messages in a year is only 1.24 per day…” - John Foss,
trying to explain to his wife

Suicide is no hands, with hands is sometimes called half suicide.

Roger


The UK’s Unicycle Source http://www.unicycle.uk.com


----- Original Message ----- From: “John Foss” <john_foss@asinet.com> To:
<Nycjoe@aol.com>; <rsu@unicycling.org> Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2002
6:21 PM Subject: RE: Jump mount

> >By jump mount, are you referring to suicide mount?
>
> A HA! There’s one. A common, non-descriptive name for a skill that’s
> widely known (at least in the UK). If you’ve seen the trick, the name
makes
> obvious sense.
>
> In Standard Skill (where the tricks have boring descriptive names), this
is
> called a “jump mount” or “free jump mount”. The free version is
> where you
do
> it with no hands.
>
> So now back to the confusion department: Does the name suicide mean it
> has to be done with no hands? I don’t know where to look this up.
>
> I have jump mounted my 45" big wheel, but I definitely have not done it
with
> no hands…
>
> Stay on top, John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone jfoss@unicycling.com
> www.unicycling.com
>
>
> “455 newsgroup messages in a year is only 1.24 per day…” - John Foss,
> trying to explain to his wife
>
_________________________________________________________________________-
__
> rec.sport.unicycling mailing list -
www.unicycling.org/mailman/listinfo/rsu

john_foss@asinet.com writes:
>>By jump mount, are you referring to suicide mount?
>
>A HA! There’s one. A common, non-descriptive name for a skill that’s
>widely known (at least in the UK). If you’ve seen the trick, the name
>makes obvious sense.
It sure does. I have been videotaped performing this terrifying mount and
I still hate doing it. It takes some sort of planetary alignment for me to
brave it, but the only time I ever hurt myself was when I bailed and hurt
my fingers as I tried to push the seat away.
>
>
>In Standard Skill (where the tricks have boring descriptive names), this
>is called a “jump mount” or “free jump mount”. The free version is where
>you do it with no hands.
>
>So now back to the confusion department: Does the name suicide mean it
>has to be done with no hands? I don’t know where to look this up.
To me, it’s not suicude unless it’s a free jump mount.
>
>
>I have jump mounted my 45" big wheel, but I definitely have not done it
>with no hands…
Right. It’s hard to believe some people have suicide mounted a Coker. I’ll
have to try that one day…
>
>
>Stay on top, John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone "455 newsgroup messages in a year
>is only 1.24 per day…" - John Foss, trying to explain to his wife
Yeah, and I think this is like #7 for me today, so there are obviously
heavy and light days for everything.

David Stone Co-founder, Unatics of NY

No hands = suicidie
With hands = assisted hands (Dr. Kevorkian style, maybe it could be called the Kevorkian?)

forum.member@unicyclist.com (
>AccordNSX
) writes:
>No hands = suicidie With hands = assisted hands (Dr. Kevorkian style,
>maybe it could be called the Kevorkian?)
Do you mean ‘with hands = assisted suicide?’.

I like the name Kevorkian, tho!
>

By the way, if you TRY to jump on without hands, that’s attempted
suicide. If you only PRETEND you’re going to do that mount, that’s a
suicide gesture.
>
David Stone Co-founder, Unatics of NY

Something seems to have changed. Over the last few days I see a lot more
posts that are replies (judging from the subject line and the content) yet
in my news reader they do not appear in the appropriate thread but as a
new post. It seems that this is true for most people who post via Usenet
(nycjoe, Roger, David Stone, John Foss, Kris Holm) but that everything is
still normally threaded for those who reply via unicyclist.com/forums.
(Strangely enough, my own posts are still IN threads although I post via
Usenet too.) So it seems unrelated to any software changes that Gilby
might have made. I like keeping threads together. AFAIK my settings are
unchanged.

Anyone knows what happened?

Klaas Bil

“To trigger/fool/saturate/overload Echelon, the following has been picked
automagically from a database:” “veggie, LEETAC, ATF”

Does the seat post have to be vertical to qualify as a jump mount? I can
“jump mount” when I hold the seat near my stomach. J

No hands=suicide
With hands=a cry for help?

I didn’t start with the seat post vertical as one would have to for a no-hands, or suicide, mount. I used one hand on the front of the seat with the seatpost tilted slightly backward. Then, when I jumped, I carried the seatpost to the vertical position as I leapt from behind the uni to a position over the seat and over the pedals, which were horizontal. My strong foot engaged the back pedal just slightly before my weak foot engaged the front pedal. This, I believe, is an OK verbal description of a strong foot jump mount.

From Sarah’s description of seat height for her Coker it seems as if it is at about the same height, with reference to her body, as mine. I’m spending too much time trying to picture it, though.

My imagination lacks, compaired to Harper- I’m afraid I’ll need an illustration. :slight_smile:

Christopher

> I didn’t start with the seat post vertical as one would have to for a
> no-hands, or suicide, mount. I used one hand on the front of the seat
> with the seatpost tilted slightly backward. Then, when I jumped, I
> carried the seatpost to the vertical position as I leapt from behind the
> uni to a position over the seat and over the pedals, which were
> horizontal. My strong foot engaged the back pedal just slightly before
> my weak foot engaged the front pedal.

According to the IUF rules, the seat post need not be vertical for a jump
mount but the pedals are supposed to hit the pedals simultaneously. That
being the case, as a judge I might ding you a little for the uneven
landing (.5 point) but only if it is noticeably so. If it’s not
noticeable, I guess I wouldn’t notice!

What I mean is, you may know one foot is hitting before the other, but if
the crank arms don’t move more than a few degrees when you jump on, nobody
will notice. What we would probably see is crank movement only. You could
land with one foot first, but no weight on it for a split second until the
other foot gets there…

Stay on top, John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone jfoss@unicycling.com
www.unicycling.com

“455 newsgroup messages in a year is only 1.24 per day…” - John Foss,
trying to explain to his wife

Greetings

In message “Re: Jump mount”, Roger Davies wrote…
>Suicide is no hands, with hands is sometimes called half suicide.
>
>Roger

Are yousure about he name “half suicide”? I know there is a more formal
name and maybe somone can help me record it. I am collecting all such
terms for inclusion in my multilingual unicycling dictionary, which I have
been doing for years at low gear. I hope I can switch gears one day soon.

Regards, Jack Halpern President, The CJK Dictionary Institute, Inc.
http://www.cjk.org Phone: +81-48-473-3508

John-

I think my pedals hit the pedals simultaneously quite some time ago…and then just stayed there.

Actually, what you describe is what happens. There is no rotation after the first foot hits and the second foot hits imperceptibly later.

It is certainly the term that has been used in the UK. The critical bit
about a half suicide and suicide is that the seat stem is always vertical
and that both feet hit the pedals at the same time.

Roger


The UK’s Unicycle Source http://www.unicycle.uk.com


----- Original Message ----- From: “Jack Halpern” <jack@kanji.org> To:
“Roger Davies” <Roger.Davies@octacon.co.uk>
Cc: <rsu@unicycling.org> Sent: Wednesday, January 16, 2002 1:49 PM
Subject: Re: Jump mount

> Greetings
>
> In message “Re: Jump mount”, Roger Davies wrote…
> >Suicide is no hands, with hands is sometimes called half suicide.
> >
> >Roger
>
> Are yousure about he name “half suicide”? I know there is a more
> formal name and maybe somone can help me record it. I am collecting
> all such terms for inclusion in my multilingual unicycling dictionary,
> which I have
been
> doing for years at low gear. I hope I can switch gears one day soon.
>
>
> Regards, Jack Halpern President, The CJK Dictionary Institute, Inc.
> http://www.cjk.org Phone: +81-48-473-3508
>
>
_________________________________________________________________________-
__
> rec.sport.unicycling mailing list -
www.unicycling.org/mailman/listinfo/rsu