Jump mount for the nervous!

Here’s the video to help, RTF have put out some very professional videos IMHO.
I’ll be starting on this next week too…

I really love this thread. we are all in a upper age group! ha! Anyway…update: got a 20" impact reagent flatland ( I think that’s what it is called) LOVE IT!!! I really wanted to learn the jump mount too. I was terrified to just do it. I had my son in law hold my uni while I tried to jump on it in the grass. All it took was that one time and then I had the confidence to do it. Wouldn’t you know though my shoulder surgery was the next day and have been rehabing since. I got cleared today to start riding again!! Cannot wait for weather to clear. I have yet to try jump mount on cement yet. I am thinking I might buy a helmet first. What do you all feel would be easier to do, one foot riding or a 180 uni-spin. I would love a list of PROGRESSIVE skills, that way I ease in to each new freestyle trick. Any suggestions???

Thanks, rem48, for re-starting this thread. I am curious why you got another person to hold the unicycle while doing the jump mount. You could definitely achieve an epic jump mount doing it that way. I’ve seen videos of people doing long jumps onto the unicycle…pretty cool.

I practiced under the street lamps last night. My typical jump mount was to hold the seat with one hand, then jump into a SIF position, taking an initial step forward before jumping. Last night, however, I practiced holding the seat with both hands, one on the front of the seat, one on the back of the seat, then jumping into SIF, with no preliminary steps, keeping both hands in the same position on the seat throughout the mount. This felt strange, because I suddenly had a much smaller runway for my jump. Then again, I figured, how much runway do you need to jump onto a 19" unicycle? Long story short, it felt weird, but I landed it every time. The fact that both hands were already on the seat prior to the jump…helped me to gauge the distance I had to travel onto the pedals, and it relieved a lot of the stress put on the hand and arm when only one hand is on the seat for SIF.

I have not practiced jump mounts into a SI position. Having to get the feet on the pedals AND the butt on the seat, all in one motion, seems like too much. Maybe lowering my seat to practice that would help (it probably wouldn’t hurt, and by hurt, I think you know what I mean).

I mostly practice jump mounts on the grass.

I had him hold the seat post and put his foot under the front of the tire so it wouldn’t shoot out from under me. It really was a mental aide more than physical. I can remember if I do one or two handed. Will have to pay attention tomorrow. Still thinking I should get a helmet before going to the cement :astonished:

This is a great thread! I never new what sif stood for as well as learning a great technique for jump mounts. Thanks fellas.
Yes I guess I fall into the older age bracket as well lol

And you also manage to take off after you’ve mounted? I’ve only started unicycling 3 weeks ago and I can use my bike as a pogo stick, which seems about the same thing as hopping onto it, but from jumping to sitting and riding away, turns out to be a big thing for me. So far the only working freemount for me is by having my dominant foot rest on the crank so the bike doesn’t role away when mounting.

I think “oldies” have a bigger urge to write it all in forums. Like feeling too old for riding a unicycle but yay it is so rad what we all can do. I am just annoyed that I never started 10 or 20 years ago. :slight_smile:

There is a 9 yr. old kid learning to unicycle in my neighborhood. The other day I introduced him to the jump mount, suggesting that he stand over the grass to do it. The kid was able to do it pretty consistently within about a minute. What really struck me was how ‘cool’ the jump mount looked, as if suddenly the kid had style.

I learned 180 unispins in two days, still working on getting them 100% of the time though. They really aren’t as hard as the seem, getting over the fear was the worst part for me. Shinguards help with confidence, I have a friend who learns everything without them as a matter of principle, I don’t know how he does it.

For jump mounts, I hold the seat one hand in the back, or two hands in the back, depending on how I’m feeling. For seat in jump mounts, I do either a “half” suicide mount, letting go of the saddle after I jump, but before I land, or I hold in the front.

Also, suicide mounts are all just about going for it, not too much skill involved, but it still scares me, and I learned it years ago.

Rem48, one foot riding might take more practice, but it is not as scary to get into, with no helmet, that might be the preferred option.
Here’s a list of Flatland tricks in order of difficulty(subjective), also not all of these are strictly flatland

Hopping, Rolling hop
Ideling
SIF hopping
Jumping down curb, up curb
180 hop twist(make sure you don’t short cut to 160ish and turn the rest of the way)
Frontspins, backspins(sorta like a really quick three point turnaround)
Seatdrop(I think that’s the name)
Side mount
Legwrap
1 footed riding, ideling
Hopping on wheel, stall
90 unispin to hopping on wheel, 90 unispin back down
180 unispin
Seatwrap
Rolling legwrap

Order could be varied by three or four tricks, depending on personal ability and skillset. Also, if you have questions on how to do a trick, or what it is, ask me, some of my names might be different vs. the forum standard.

I love this thread… just because I feel less stupid that I was so stressed to jump on those pedals.

Here’s the story:
I’ve been riding for a six weeks and was quite lazy about learning anything else than plain riding for a while, to get a grip of the whole thing before adding any difficulties. As a result, I barely succeed in half or so of my freemount attempts, although I ride almost every day.

On Wednesday, I bought my 12 year old a quite plain unicycle, and he was rolling a few meters on Saturday. I showed him how to freemount, just so he could try and fail a few times and realize I was still ahead of him. Half an hour later, he was successful in 3/4 attempts.

I had to do something about it. I had seen a video on (seat in) jump mount, it seemed fairly easy: i) start jumping on the pedals while holding on to something, such as a handrail, then holding only the saddle; ii) land your feet on the pedals rather than your butt on the seat first, for reasons boys here do not need explained; iii) aim prioritarily for the front pedal so you don’t launch the unicycle backwards and land on your face.

Fair enough.

Three attemps with the handrail were enough to build confidence: you land easily on the pedals every single time, and the uni doesn’t move, so where’s the problem? My second or third attempt without a handrail was successful and I could roll away, and leave my son with eyes wide open.

I still find freemounts are difficult, and only two of my 12-20 attempts at jump-mounting were succesful, but it feels a lot easier with a good incentive to kick the fear (which is the only real difficulty) out of you!

Phew. Now I have him thinking for another week that I’m more advanced than he is. What will it take next?
(Oh, I did stop the jump-mounting session last day after landing not on my feet, and unfortunately not quite on my butt either. Ouch. I hope I don’t need to break both of them next time to impress my son :wink: )

Welcome to the forum, Leonbeyr!

Here’s what I love about the jump-mount:

Unicycling is both very physical, and it involves a lot of mental energy to solve problems and figure out tricks. The jump mount typifies the psychological aspect of riding, for me. Landing on the pedals is not so hard, except of course if we psych ourselves out in the process.

I previously jump mounted directly onto the seat; later, however, I started raising the seat further, and jumping this way became scarier, because there was less clearance, less room for error. At the same time, as well, I developed seat-in-front skills. Now my jump mount typically starts out with both hands holding the seat, out in front, then jumping onto the pedals, landing with the seat out in front. I started practicing this technique on soft grass, but now I feel more comfortable performing it on the street.

Recently I’ve been practicing another form of jump mount. I hold the seat handle in one hand, to the side of my body. Then I jump diagonally over the unicycle, landing on the pedals and riding away with the seat behind me. Not as hard as it may sound; again, there is a psychological aspect at play. The athleticism necessary to land on the pedals is pretty minimal; just don’t let go of the seat handle.

Jump mounts are great for conquering the inhibition of riding, and they are not particularly risky. My advice is to wear pads and practice on grass or dirt.

This thread was what finally empowered me to make my first real attempts at jump mounts, landing and riding away from 3 of them (SIF) today with no problem. I have had SIF skills for at least a year, can hop up stairways SIF and can ride SIF (or SIB) at least 200 meters, so now it is suddenly clear to me that the fact that I have never before attempted a jump mount is just plain sad!

Oh well, one thing that’s different today is that there was a conveniently-sized block of wood on hand to lodge under my rear pedal so I could practice a few no-risk jump mounts first. That made a difference psychologically. I had come close to attempting a jump mount several times before, but had always chickened out at the last second, so practicing with the block of wood allowed me to feel that something had changed. It also gave me an idea of how to kick my feet out before bringing them in to land on the pedals. Once I had landed a few jump mounts, though, I had to laugh at myself for having been so frightened of them before.

Salud!