jargon dictionary + images

some lurkers like me are not native speakers (of english)
it’s sometimes really hard to catch on some threads because we lack
jargon knowledge and we do not know the technical terms
(we have to learn “spoke” “rim”… etc. but sometimes I could not
make up my mind -I remember a post about “rail” :thinking: -)

I suggest that someone post and enrich on a website:

• a unicyclist jargon file (“UPD”, “RSU” and so on…)
  • images of unicycles with terms attached to it (here is the “rim” and so on) … do not translate in other languages (we often do not know the term in our own language!)

thanks

bear

jargon dictionary + images

That’s an EXCELLENT idea!

Great idea. I’ve tried to point out the main parts of a unicycle in this photo. The ‘nipple’ part might be a bit confusing. It’s what screws onto the end of a spoke.

John (childs),
I can see what you meant a while ago about losing quality of a photo by saving it. The text has gone all uncrisp.

Did I miss anything major? I probably should’ve done the singular of crank. I’ll do some more in a minute.

Hope that helps,
Andrew

And the hub…

profile bits - all 2.jpg

Aha! Bitmap is better for losslessness…

frame - full 2.bmp (900 KB)

…but it comes out as an attachment.

Just to clarify things here, the tread is all of the things I’ve marked combined.

Knob + knob + knob … = Tread = Grip

(or did that just make things more confusing?)

muni - tyre and crown.jpg

People might talk about the distance between the flanges on a hub. These are them…

profile bits - hub 1.jpg

JPEG is bad for pictures with text. For pictures with text it is better to use GIF for 256 color pictures or PNG for true color pictures. If you must use JPEG then using a higher quality level (less compression) when saving the file will help keep the text from getting too blurry.

Both GIF and PNG are lossless compression formats. The compressed file size will be larger than a JPEG but there won’t be any compression artifacts.

JPEG is a lossy compression format. The compressed file size can be very small, but it looses picture information when it compresses and causes compression artifacts in the picture.

The attached picture of the frame is 900KB (I guess that’s the down side to BMP) so here’s the jpeg of it. There really is a big difference…it’s quite scary really.

frame - full 2.jpg

Okay, thanks. How do you change the compression of the jpeg files? I guess you can’t really tell the difference easily between .jpeg and .bmp for the majority of photos. What’s the difference between .jpg and .jpeg?

Thanks.

“Rail” was probably referring to the seatpost rails on a standard bicycle seat. Bicycle seats have two rails that the seatpost attaches to. There are now “rail adapters” for unicycle seats so you can use a standard bicycle seatpost on a unicycle seat. Here is a link to a picture of a unicycle seat rail adapter.
<http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=663>

The program that you use to edit and save the JPG file should have an option somewhere to change the quality level or compression level when you save the file. They often hide that feature, but it should be there somewhere.

.jpg and .jpeg are the same thing. DOS is limited to 3 character file extensions so “.jpg” is used. For operating systems that can handle longer file extensions you can use “.jpeg”.

A Google search on something like “jpg png gif formats text quality FAQ” will find you more info about the differences between jpg, png, gif and other file formats.

Another important thing about JPEG’s is that they should only be used for saving final images

i.e. when working on the image and saving it to continue work later, never save as a JPEG as each time you do so you will loose some quality due to the compression.

Instead save it as a TIFF (compression is lossless i.e. no loss of quality) or maybe a PhotoShop file if using Photoshop.

This means that your image stays as high quality until it’s finished, at which point you need to post/upload it and you need the excellent compression powers of JPEG.