Jack Hughes riding the STP

Jack Hughes is riding the Seattle To Portland Bicycle Classic this year. The ride is usually known by it’s initials STP. It’s a 200 mile ride from Seattle Washington to Portland Oregon. Some bikes to the ride in one day, but most people choose to do it in two 100 mile days. More info about this years ride is at the above link. Dan Heaton did the STP one year and I think this is the third year for Jack.

I met Jack today at the first food stop which was at the 24 mile mark on the first day. He should be in Centralia Washington tonight (at the 100 mile mark) and in Portland tomorrow night. The .Uniques Unicycle Club volunteered to help and entertain at the first food stop. The theme of the first food stop was Cirque du Cycle and they wanted some unicycles to give it a cirque atmosphere.

Here is a picture of Jack Hughes at the first food stop.

Jack is only something like 17 and already a wild man. He wanted to make a shirt that said “Team Jack” on the front and “You don’t know Jack” on the back. I hope that project eventually comes to fruition.

no matter what you set out to accomplish…someone always puts you to shame

:frowning:

Great job, Jack!

Re: Jack Hughes riding the STP

I met Jack Hughes at unicon and he is definitely a rad guy. We talked about how
much the Bare Naked Ladies rule and ate kix.

Dylan

Man, that is a lot of saddle-time. Thanks for posting those pics John. Looks like he has an aero bar on his Coker.

Can someone let us know how many hours it takes Jack to ride 200 miles? I am guessing it will be around 20 hrs. actual riding time, not incl. breaks.

Jack is going to be at nationals in Minnesota so we can ask him about the ride then.

He has a home made extension with some sort of aero bar mounted. I’m not sure how he uses it. It looks like he has it high enough that he could lean his forearms on it. Another thing to ask him while at nationals. He is also using a Viscount saddle and I don’t think it has been modified to make it softer.

Two back to back 100 mile rides on the Coker (or any unicycle) is amazing. I can’t fathom sitting on a unicycle saddle long enough to do a ride like that.

somebody tell him that Nike bought out Chuck Taylor for 305,000,000 million just to see if it makes him freak out…he has to have a pain threshold somwhere.

It’s great to see Jack on a Coker this time! It should be relatively easy
for him. How he managed it last year on a 24" (125 miles the first day and
75 miles the second) I’ll never really understand - what a hardman!

Go Team Jack

—Nathan

Seeing Jack on the course has to deflate most of those bikers egos.

I can not imagine riding a uni, even if it is a Coker, that far. Way to go Jack!!! Can he glide on that Coker? Can anyone Glide on a Coker? Gliding would be so nice during a 200 mile ride.

Sofa, you better get busy or Jack could replace you at the top of the HERO board. :smiley: --chirokid–

Jacquie and I both have “Team Jack” embroidered polo shirts (black thread on white). Nothing on the back, though. But we know Jack.

Then of course Jacquie, Jack’s mom (Patti), and Amy Drummond are the three owners of “Unicycle Widows” pink polos. No plans to make more, though many people requested them.

Jack you’re an animal. Glad to see you now have a Coker with a handlebar. My amazement at back-to-back 100 mile days is equalled only by doing it on an undoctored Viscount seat!

Jack seems like the right kind of guy to tackle the 24 hour record on a unicycle. To my knowledge (I think it’s in The Unicycle Book), Steve McPeak holds this at around 186 miles.

What about Lars Clausen (202.78 miles) ??
onewheel.org

-Mark

Awsome job Jack!!!

I met Jack last year on the Muni ride @ the Rat Pack trail and he’s probably more of an amazing uphill rider that he is an enderance rider.

Jack be nimbal
Jack be quick
After riding 200 miles
Jack is sick

202 miles in 24 hours? That’s something I’m anxious to know more about! I banged around Lars’ web site for a few minutes, but did not find ride details. Most of the ride-related pages I looked at were written in future tense about the ride. The homepage also mentions two broken Guinness records. That could be another one, if Guinness had a 24 hour unicycle record.

Mark, do you have links to the exact page(s)?

Thanks.

Lar’s 24 hr ride

There’s a mention of it if you scroll down below the pic on the first page.

Also, there is this from Lar’s notes…stolen from somewhere on the internet :wink:

Actually, it’s too long for this forum. This will be part one & I’ll make a new thread for part 2 “Lar’s 24 hr ride part 2”
-Mark

June 5 and 6, 2002: Maybe. Revisted.

With the Honda not tracking correctly when its behind the RV, Anne, Amy, and Sara all decided to stay in Martin for the morning and get things figured out. Besides, Sara needed to meet Bill from Nome.

So, it was just Robert and I out on the road at 4:45 a.m., like we’ve done so many times now on this trip. With Sara here we’ve been enjoying the extra driver so that the three of them can take turns riding with us.

“I’m freezing” Robert said every time we went downhill into a low spot. The low areas felt 10 degrees colder than the rises did in this early dawn of the morning. After a couple hours it was warm everywhere. We had 60 miles with no towns this morning on the way to Mission, so we pedaled along patiently.

“I just zoned out,” Robert said, somewhere around mile 30. He was tired this morning after not sleeping well and then freezing for the first couple hours. “Me too,” I replied, “I was just thinking about whether we’ll get a chance to try a 24 hour ride again for the Guinness World Record…I don’t think we’re going to get another chance. We’ve got more and more evening presentations the further we go, and Sara is going home on Sunday, and the roads are going to get more crowded, and the weather is going to get hotter. I’ve started thinking about the other record that Guiness says they’re interested in, how much time a person can ride a unicycle without dismounting.”

“How are you going to pee, if you do that? Hey, why don’t you do the 24 hour record today?”

“I was thinking about it. But they’re getting the Honda checked out back in Martin, that may take all day. And we haven’t talked to Anne and Amy about it.”

We rode on for some more miles. “I guess we could just start riding and see if things work out…” I offered.

“I’ll ride it with you,” Robert replied.

Maybe… my experience with this word in Nome always signified intention tempered with the acknowledgment of all the unknowns and unforeseens that might interrupt the course of event.

Maybe we’ll set a record. Actually, if we do, we’ll establish the record. The closest thing right now is the 100 mile ride in 6 hours and 47 minutes done by a Japanese unicyclist in the 1980’s. He rode almost 15 miles an hour for that ride. I can’t go so fast on my unicycle. So I have in my mind that perhaps riding something like 200 miles in 24 hours would be good enough for Guinness to have it stand alongside the 100 mile speed record.

On we rode. No big deal. No pressure. Just riding, and waiting to see what might happen. This part of South Dakota defies the stereotypes of the state’s flatness. Rolling farms and ranches keep the ride interesting. The grass is longer and greener here than the grey-toned shortgrass of Montana and Western Nebraska. There’s a gentle crosswind, coming up out of the south, with a very slight tail from the west.

Eventually we get to the Rosebud Indian Reservation. BIA (Bureau of Indian Affairs) housing is scattered along the road on the ranches. It’s a welcome sight indicating that much of the ranch land is being cared for by native people, unlike what we’ve seen on some of the Pine Ridge Reservation. Old pieces of roofing tin are spray-painted with names like Thunder Cloud, telling who lives on the dirt roads that trail far back into the hills.

And finally, at 11 a.m., we make it to Mission, 60 miles into our ride. 6:15 minutes of riding this morning. A few weeks earlier, when I’d started out to do a 24 hour ride, I’d envisioned it in terms of my reserve time. I figure that I average something like 10 miles an hour when I’m riding. That means 20 hours on the unicycle out of 24. That gives me 4 hours of reserve time at the start of the ride. When we reach Mission, I’ve got 3 hours and 45 minutes of reserve time.

Things are starting out well. Guinness Records asks that witnesses be noted officials or well know people in the community. Two police cars are pulled up next to one another as we ride into town and I get Merlin’s signature. He recommends us to the Antelope Motel and Restaurant where we meet Damien, perhaps the best waiter of the trip so far.

“Sit here,” he points, “or sit here. Which do you prefer.” The place is full so Damien is pointing us to seats that will share the table with other customers. We choose the ones closest to the buffet line. “Take good care of these two,” he tells the cook who is serving the buffet line.” Roast beef, sausage and kraut, and turkey are the choices for lunch.

“What would you like?” she asks.

“All of it,” we reply in unison.

A number of thousand calories later, we’re back out on the road, our water bottles filled with cold ice tea. Its noon on our watches. The Rosebud Reservation uses Central Time, even though the actual line isn’t for another 25 miles at the tiny settlement of Carter. We decide to stay on Mountain time until this ride is over. We ride out of town with two hours and 45 minutes of reserve time left.

“Didn’t Mission feel different from Pine Ridge?” Robert asks.

“It sure did. The cars are newer here. There’s more businesses. I have no idea what makes the difference. Wish we could stay a few weeks and learn more.”

But we weren’t staying. We were riding. Still no Anne and Amy and Sara and kids. Our original destination had been Okreek. We get to it at mile 75 and still our support crew has not arrived. “Wonder what’s happened to the Honda?” I say to Robert.

“There’s a pool in Martin. They might have gone there too.”

In Okreek, Robert stops to wait for Anne and Amy to catch up. I keep riding. 75 miles now. Its warm, but not at all hot. The breeze is still gentle but has picked up just a bit. I ride alone these next miles until the motor home and van pass me near mile 90. I flash them the sign for “I love you,” as I always do when they go by. The Honda is trailing the RV, just like we’d been hoping.

Hugs for the kids. A kiss with Anne. She cuts fresh watermelon and as I slurp it down we share how the day has gone for each of us. Anne says she thinks the idea of riding for 24 hours is okay. Sara tells me that early this morning she had mentioned to Anne at the gas station that maybe this would be a good day to try to set the record. “Maybe,” Anne had replied.

“I was hoping you were going to do this while I was still along with you all.” Sara tells me. “This is great.”

“We’ll this is probably our last chance of the trip. After you leave we wouldn’t be able to try it until we have someone else traveling along with us, and everything else fit into place. So…we’ll see…Everything feels good so far.”

Robert catches up with us. Sara gets her bike off the rack and joins us. The three of us start riding together. There are a dozen miles before the town of Winner.

At mile 100 I get off the uniycycle for a picture. Actually, I get off the unicycle at mile 99.83. There’s a road sign there, believe it or not, which says, “ARE YOU HURTING? JESUS CARES.” Ask me again at midnight…

Robert and Sara take a signature slip and ride ahead into Winner, looking for a policeman to verify the ride. I catch up to the motor home parked in front of a market. The door is open so I climb in for more watermelon, a pop and a handful of nuts. Anne comes out of the store with our ride supplies for the night. A Styrofoam cooler for the Honda filled with two half gallons of chocolate milk, a half gallon of O.J. a dozen candy bars a six pack of pop. With all on board for riding through the night I become focused on the ride. 98 miles to go. 2 hours and 45 minutes of reserve time left. I get back on the road as quickly as possible. Everyone else heads over to Pizza Hut for dinner. “We’ll catch up with you soon.”

I have eight more miles of eastward travel, riding on Hwy 44. It’s the warmest part of the day now, somewhere in the mid-80’s. I keep drinking water and electrolyte mix, knowing I have to keep enough energy coming in, but still wondering how my body is going to fare as the miles add up.

203+ miles in a day? Child’s play for the MAN - Christian Hoverath!

—Nathan

“Cokerhead” wrote
> johnfoss wrote:
> > * Jack seems like the right kind of guy to tackle the 24 hour record
> > on a unicycle. To my knowledge (I think it’s in The Unicycle Book),
> > Steve McPeak holds this at around 186 miles. *
>
>
> What about Lars Clausen (202.78 miles) ??
> onewheel.org
>
> -Mark