It's raining!

I live in Ypsilanti, MI.

I WAS gonna say “To hell with sending out my resume, I’ll go practice
on my MUni.”

It’s pouring rain. :-<

Presently looking at a picture of a Hunter Unicycle.

Guess I’ll work on my job hunting.

Fuck!

Christopher


“I never MET a man I didn’t like.” -Will Rogers

Read my short story at: http://www.rosedog.com/manuscript.asp?m=9389256&m-
anuscript=6862016&t=The+Determination+of+Jeffery&fn=Christopher&ln=Grove&-
srdt=9%2F27%2F01+5%3A32%3A05+AM&fs=2&ff=Arial%2C+Helvetica%2C+Verdana&ps=-
4000&s=735143750&folder=Search+Results

Riding in the rain is quite fun, but not to do MUni. If you do MUni in the
rain you’ll come out covered in wet mud, looking like a chocolate candy
without a wrapper. You’ll also rip up the trail badly. Do a road ride or a
bike path ride because:

  1. There are much less people around, and you can go really fast.
  2. Walkers and other spectators you meet when it’s pouring rain seem to
    be much friendlier than when the weather is clearer. The rain seems to
    cleanse people’s aggressions
  3. You can smell the fragrant earthy smell of rotting leaves in
    certain seasons
  4. You need not spend time washing mud off your tire. You simply idle
    in a puddle
  5. If you do get muddy, ride a little more and the rain will wash it off.
  6. You can hop in puddles and see how big a splash you can do
  7. If it’s raining hard enough the water will drip down your helmet visor
    so quickly as to blur your vision, and your “automatic uni balancing”
    mechanism will kick into overdrive. Or you’ll fall off.
  8. The rain will cool your leg muscles and you’ll be able to ride
    much longer.
  9. You can practice sliding your uni sideways in mud along the side of
    the trail, and see if you can keep your balance
  10. You can carry an umbrella, ride around twirling it as you go, and
    pretend you’re Mary Poppins.

It’s best to wear a Goretex jacket, which will not let the rain in, but
will let your sweat out. Use a polyester t-shirt that will wick your sweat
to the surface of your jacket, thereby keeping you nice and dry.

Also if it starts to have lightening, it’s probably better to go home.
You’d not want an “electrifying” uni ride. All that steel under your butt
may cause unwanted electro-attention.

Don_TaiATyahooDOTcoDOTuk, Toronto, Canada
http://torontounicyclists.tripod.com

Christopher Grove wrote:
>
> I live in Ypsilanti, MI.
>
> I WAS gonna say "To hell with sending out my resume, I’ll go practice on
> my MUni."
>
> It’s pouring rain. :-<
>
> Presently looking at a picture of a Hunter Unicycle.
>
> Guess I’ll work on my job hunting.
>
> Fuck!
>
> Christopher
>
> –
> “I never MET a man I didn’t like.” -Will Rogers
>
> Read my short story at: http://www.rosedog.com/manuscript.asp?m=9389256-
> &manuscript=6862016&t=The+Determination+of+Jeffery&fn=Christopher&ln=Gr-
> ove&srdt=9%2F27%2F01+5%3A32%3A05+AM&fs=2&ff=Arial%2C+Helvetica%2C+Verda-
> na&ps=4000&s=735143750&folder=Search+Results

First things first!

Klaas Bil

On Tue, 16 Oct 2001 15:40:57 GMT, Christopher Grove
<c_r_grove@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I live in Ypsilanti, MI.
>
>I WAS gonna say "To hell with sending out my resume, I’ll go practice on
>my MUni."
>
>It’s pouring rain. :-<
>
>Presently looking at a picture of a Hunter Unicycle.
>
>Guess I’ll work on my job hunting.
>
>Fuck!
>
>Christopher
>
>
>–
>“I never MET a man I didn’t like.” -Will Rogers
>
>Read my short story at: http://www.rosedog.com/manuscript.asp?m=9389256&-
>manuscript=6862016&t=The+Determination+of+Jeffery&fn=Christopher&ln=Grov-
>e&srdt=9%2F27%2F01+5%3A32%3A05+AM&fs=2&ff=Arial%2C+Helvetica%2C+Verdana&-
>ps=4000&s=735143750&folder=Search+Results


“To trigger/fool/saturate/overload Echelon, the following has been picked
automagically from a database:” “espionage, Branch Davidian, Cuba”

Muni in the rain is grrrreeat. The more mud the better. Easy trails become
really difficult. You learn all about riding through a slide and riding
wet rocks and roots.

You’re not going to destroy the trail much more than if you ride it the
day after it rains. I think any time you’re doing muni, you should be
aware of what you’re doing to the trail, but as long as it’s a well
maintained trail you should be able to ride it any weather.

If you put lots of effort in, then you don’t get cold either.

Joe

“Don Tai” <don_tai@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
news:3BCCD174.CE510819@yahoo.co.uk
> Riding in the rain is quite fun, but not to do MUni. If you do MUni in
> the rain you’ll come out covered in wet mud, looking like a chocolate
> candy without a wrapper. You’ll also rip up the trail badly. Do a road
> ride or a bike path ride because:
>
> 1. There are much less people around, and you can go really fast.
> 2. Walkers and other spectators you meet when it’s pouring rain seem to
> be much friendlier than when the weather is clearer. The rain seems
> to cleanse people’s aggressions
> 3. You can smell the fragrant earthy smell of rotting leaves in certain
> seasons
> 4. You need not spend time washing mud off your tire. You simply idle
> in a puddle
> 5. If you do get muddy, ride a little more and the rain will wash it
> off.
> 6. You can hop in puddles and see how big a splash you can do
> 7. If it’s raining hard enough the water will drip down your helmet
> visor so quickly as to blur your vision, and your "automatic uni
> balancing" mechanism will kick into overdrive. Or you’ll fall off.
> 8. The rain will cool your leg muscles and you’ll be able to ride much
> longer.
> 9. You can practice sliding your uni sideways in mud along the side of
> the trail, and see if you can keep your balance
> 10. You can carry an umbrella, ride around twirling it as you go, and
> pretend you’re Mary Poppins.
>
> It’s best to wear a Goretex jacket, which will not let the rain in, but
> will let your sweat out. Use a polyester t-shirt that will wick your
> sweat to the surface of your jacket, thereby keeping you nice and dry.
>
> Also if it starts to have lightening, it’s probably better to go home.
> You’d not want an “electrifying” uni ride. All that steel under your
> butt may cause unwanted electro-attention.
>
> Don_TaiATyahooDOTcoDOTuk, Toronto, Canada
> http://torontounicyclists.tripod.com
>
> Christopher Grove wrote:
> >
> > I live in Ypsilanti, MI.
> >
> > I WAS gonna say "To hell with sending out my resume, I’ll go practice
> > on my MUni."
> >
> > It’s pouring rain. :-<
> >
> > Presently looking at a picture of a Hunter Unicycle.
> >
> > Guess I’ll work on my job hunting.
> >
> > Fuck!
> >
> > Christopher
> >
> > –
> > “I never MET a man I didn’t like.” -Will Rogers
> >
> > Read my short story at:
> >
http://www.rosedog.com/manuscript.asp?m=9389256&manuscript=6862016&t=The±
Det ermination+of+Jeffery&fn=Christopher&ln=Grove&srdt=9%2F27%2F01+5%3A32-
%3A05+A M&fs=2&ff=Arial%2C+Helvetica%2C+Verdana&ps=4000&s=735143750&folde-
r=Search+Re sults

I’m with Joe, though I don’t have the skills he describes (“riding through
slides”). Wading into enormous murky puddles I can do. Recently had a
great day out with Mr. Wiggins and got soaked to the skin. The fact that
it was the first ride on my new Gazzaloddi added more, of course. I had
one of my best ever rides.

The only major disadvantage was getting the car dirty by climbing into it
drenched and muddy. It still smells a bit musty…

Arnold the Aardvark

> I’m with Joe, though I don’t have the skills he describes ("riding
> through slides"). Wading into enormous murky puddles I can do. Recently
> had a great day out with Mr. Wiggins and got soaked to the skin. The
> fact that it was the first ride on my new Gazzaloddi added more, of
> course. I had one of my best ever rides.

Oh, while we’re on the subject, I can recommend waterproof socks (porelle
drys / sealskins) for riding anywhere wet.

I heard recently about mountain bikers who do this thing where they ride
down rivers, like actually down the middle of them, although not very deep
ones, more the ones that come down off mountains. Now that is taking wet
to the extreme.

It’s worth looking for them now as I think they get new styles each year
like bikes and they’ll be being sold off cheap about now.

Joe

Muni in the rain is really quite fun. As you say you do have to be careful
about trails that are too muddy to avoid damaging them. Around here we
have lots of trails that are pine-needle covered or leaf-covered and are
really fine in very wet conditions. One of the most fun rides I went on
this year featured hundreds of yards of trail that was completely
underwater, with some deep sections! Very very fun.

—Nathan

“Don Tai” <don_tai@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
news:3BCCD174.CE510819@yahoo.co.uk
> Riding in the rain is quite fun, but not to do MUni. If you do MUni in
> the rain you’ll come out covered in wet mud, looking like a chocolate
> candy without a wrapper. You’ll also rip up the trail badly. Do a road
> ride or a bike path ride because:
>
> 1. There are much less people around, and you can go really fast.
> 2. Walkers and other spectators you meet when it’s pouring rain seem to
> be much friendlier than when the weather is clearer. The rain seems
> to cleanse people’s aggressions
> 3. You can smell the fragrant earthy smell of rotting leaves in certain
> seasons
> 4. You need not spend time washing mud off your tire. You simply idle
> in a puddle
> 5. If you do get muddy, ride a little more and the rain will wash it
> off.
> 6. You can hop in puddles and see how big a splash you can do
> 7. If it’s raining hard enough the water will drip down your helmet
> visor so quickly as to blur your vision, and your "automatic uni
> balancing" mechanism will kick into overdrive. Or you’ll fall off.
> 8. The rain will cool your leg muscles and you’ll be able to ride much
> longer.
> 9. You can practice sliding your uni sideways in mud along the side of
> the trail, and see if you can keep your balance
> 10. You can carry an umbrella, ride around twirling it as you go, and
> pretend you’re Mary Poppins.
>
> It’s best to wear a Goretex jacket, which will not let the rain in, but
> will let your sweat out. Use a polyester t-shirt that will wick your
> sweat to the surface of your jacket, thereby keeping you nice and dry.
>
> Also if it starts to have lightening, it’s probably better to go home.
> You’d not want an “electrifying” uni ride. All that steel under your
> butt may cause unwanted electro-attention.
>
> Don_TaiATyahooDOTcoDOTuk, Toronto, Canada
> http://torontounicyclists.tripod.com
>
> Christopher Grove wrote:
> >
> > I live in Ypsilanti, MI.
> >
> > I WAS gonna say "To hell with sending out my resume, I’ll go practice
> > on my MUni."
> >
> > It’s pouring rain. :-<
> >
> > Presently looking at a picture of a Hunter Unicycle.
> >
> > Guess I’ll work on my job hunting.
> >
> > Fuck!
> >
> > Christopher
> >
> > –
> > “I never MET a man I didn’t like.” -Will Rogers
> >
> > Read my short story at:
> >
http://www.rosedog.com/manuscript.asp?m=9389256&manuscript=6862016&t=The±
Det ermination+of+Jeffery&fn=Christopher&ln=Grove&srdt=9%2F27%2F01+5%3A32-
%3A05+A M&fs=2&ff=Arial%2C+Helvetica%2C+Verdana&ps=4000&s=735143750&folde-
r=Search+Re sults

> You’re not going to destroy the trail much more than if you ride it the
> day after it rains.

Note! This is very dependent on location and type of trail! Most
California trails, for instance, are very fragile when saturated, and
prone to erosion. Some of my favorite trails in Auburn are officially
closed during winter rainy months, to protect them.

Other trails, especially rocky or flatter ones, are fine and can be fun on
a rainy day. If you live in a rainier climate (which is not hard compare
to here), rain may make less difference on your trails.

Mountain unicycling is too young an activity to have any trail advocacy or
environmental groups associated with it. If you want to be a good trail
user, you should join your local trail organization (if any), and IMBA
(the International Mountain Biking Association). To find out about local
groups, ask at your local bike shops.

By joining these groups, you can learn the common rules of the trial, plus
whatever rules apply to your local area. Basics such as downhill traffic
yields to uphill, don’t skid, and of course flat tubes, air cartridges,
and PowerBar wrappers are litter, so take them with you.

You can also get involved with trail building and advocacy. Are there good
trails in your area that are closed to bikes (and presumably unicycles)?
With your local groups you can be a helpful part of opening those trails
up for legal use.

My local organization is called FATRAC (Folsom Auburn Trail Riders Action
Committee). I get their newsletter, and have participated in a couple of
trail-building days, though not as many as I should. I also wrote a MUni
article for their newsletter a few years back.

Stay on top, John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone jfoss@unicycling.com
www.unicycling.com

“Freedom is not free”

Hi all, I agree. The rain is lots of fun! But one word of caution. DO NOT
try to walk the wheel in the rain. I tried it last Sunday night and
someone said, “Hey, Jeff. There is a big dry spot in the parking lot where
you were just laying.”

Jeff

On Wed, 17 Oct 2001 10:58:55 GMT “Joe Marshall”
<joe_marshall@dropmemail.com> writes:
> Muni in the rain is grrrreeat. The more mud the better. Easy trails
> become really difficult. You learn all about riding through a slide and
> riding wet rocks and roots.
>
> You’re not going to destroy the trail much more than if you ride it the
> day after it rains. I think any time you’re doing muni, you should be
> aware of what you’re doing to the trail, but as long as it’s a well
> maintained trail you should be able to ride it any weather.
>
> If you put lots of effort in, then you don’t get cold either.
>
> Joe
>
>
>
>
> “Don Tai” <don_tai@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:3BCCD174.CE510819@yahoo.co.uk
> > Riding in the rain is quite fun, but not to do MUni. If you do
> MUni in
> > the rain you’ll come out covered in wet mud, looking like a
> chocolate
> > candy without a wrapper. You’ll also rip up the trail badly. Do a
> road
> > ride or a bike path ride because:
> >
> > 1. There are much less people around, and you can go really fast.
> > 2. Walkers and other spectators you meet when it’s pouring rain
> seem to
> > be much friendlier than when the weather is clearer. The rain
> seems to
> > cleanse people’s aggressions
> > 3. You can smell the fragrant earthy smell of rotting leaves in
> certain
> > seasons
> > 4. You need not spend time washing mud off your tire. You simply
> idle in
> > a puddle
> > 5. If you do get muddy, ride a little more and the rain will wash
> it
> > off.
> > 6. You can hop in puddles and see how big a splash you can do
> > 7. If it’s raining hard enough the water will drip down your
> helmet
> > visor so quickly as to blur your vision, and your "automatic uni
> > balancing" mechanism will kick into overdrive. Or you’ll fall
> off.
> > 8. The rain will cool your leg muscles and you’ll be able to ride
> much
> > longer.
> > 9. You can practice sliding your uni sideways in mud along the
> side of
> > the trail, and see if you can keep your balance
> > 10. You can carry an umbrella, ride around twirling it as you go,
> and
> > pretend you’re Mary Poppins.
> >
> > It’s best to wear a Goretex jacket, which will not let the rain
> in, but
> > will let your sweat out. Use a polyester t-shirt that will wick
> your
> > sweat to the surface of your jacket, thereby keeping you nice and
> dry.
> >
> > Also if it starts to have lightening, it’s probably better to go
> home.
> > You’d not want an “electrifying” uni ride. All that steel under
> your
> > butt may cause unwanted electro-attention.
> >
> > Don_TaiATyahooDOTcoDOTuk, Toronto, Canada
> > http://torontounicyclists.tripod.com
> >
> > Christopher Grove wrote:
> > >
> > > I live in Ypsilanti, MI.
> > >
> > > I WAS gonna say "To hell with sending out my resume, I’ll go
> > > practice on my MUni."
> > >
> > > It’s pouring rain. :-<
> > >
> > > Presently looking at a picture of a Hunter Unicycle.
> > >
> > > Guess I’ll work on my job hunting.
> > >
> > > Fuck!
> > >
> > > Christopher
> > >
> > > –
> > > “I never MET a man I didn’t like.” -Will Rogers
> > >
> > > Read my short story at:
> > >
>
http://www.rosedog.com/manuscript.asp?m=9389256&manuscript=6862016&-
t=The+ Det
>
ermination+of+Jeffery&fn=Christopher&ln=Grove&srdt=9%2F27%2F01+5%3A-
32%3A0 5+A
>
M&fs=2&ff=Arial%2C+Helvetica%2C+Verdana&ps=4000&s=735143750&folder=-
Search +Re
> sults
>
>
>


GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO! Juno offers FREE or PREMIUM Internet access
for less! Join Juno today! For your FREE software, visit:
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.

“John Foss” <john_foss@asinet.com> wrote in message
news:52CD02C3DAD2D411A3170002A528514206B9D1@SERVER
> > You’re not going to destroy the trail much more than if you ride it
> > the day after it rains.
>
> Note! This is very dependent on location and type of trail! Most
California
> trails, for instance, are very fragile when saturated, and prone to
erosion.
> Some of my favorite trails in Auburn are officially closed during winter
> rainy months, to protect them.

Ooops. As a UK rider, I forgot about the conditions some of you guys in
hotter places get. Around here it rains on and off all the year, so pretty
much anything that is rideable at all is rideable all the year.

The UK bit of the IMBA for doing trail building work and that sort of
thing has been started recently, must see what that’s all about…

Joe

Whoa, not very cool. Sounds like a good way to get bikes (and unicycles)
banned from some trails. Riding down streams and through wetlands will not
make you any friends with the land managers.

We have a local trail area that is always under threat of closure by the
city parks department because people continue to take a shortcut through a
wetland area. One of these days they might just follow through on their
threats to close the area to bikes.

john_childs

>From: “Joe Marshall” <joe_marshall@dropmemail.com>
>
[snip]
>
>I heard recently about mountain bikers who do this thing where they ride
>down rivers, like actually down the middle of them, although not very
>deep ones, more the ones that come down off mountains. Now that is taking
>wet to the extreme.
>
>Joe


Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp