It's All Uphill from here! Fargo Hill Climb Challenge, 2014

Here’s my Fargo hill climb from 3/23/14. Includes the first 2 climbs; First on the 24 MUni, and 3 on my 29er. Did a total of 4, beating my previous record of 2 climbs. It was brutal, but loved it! You can read the description on youtube for details on the climb. Illan Kedan also showed up and did two climbs on his 24. It was great to finally see another uni rider at the event! :slight_smile:

wow, now I’m seasick…:stuck_out_tongue:

That’s crazy steep. My nemesis hill hits 19% I think, I still haven’t made it all the way.

Have you tried it without the switchbacks?

I’m jealous of those climbing skills, awesome!

Terry can probably do it strait up backwards!

He did it streight up on his 24 w/ a skinny tire in a previous vid.

Hey Terry, can you relate both what its like riding the steep angle when traversing the slope and what your approach is to dealing with it, including in terms of wheel diameter? Obviously there has always been plenty of discussion about degrees of road camber when riding a uni. Traversing such a steep street as Fargo must be one of the most extreme versions of riding an angle, road camber or not, no?

Thanks guys! :slight_smile:

@Earl: Yes, traversing such a steep incline like Fargo has its own set of difficult challenges. In some ways, it can be even harder than going straight up, in the sense that you are fighting the very strong pull of angular gravity and other forces when you are [somewhat] perpendicular to the hill, including extreme camber as you mention. This requires more pinpoint balance and the ability to make many corrective maneuvers when shifting directions at the turns, sometimes by way of a 90 degree hop-twist.

And if a corrective hop is necessary, as it usually is at some point, the intense gravity tends to suck you down a good foot or more; lost ground that you have to make up! And while going straight up would be about 550 feet, traversing adds another 250-300 feet and a LOT more revs! Either way, it feels like a mile!

Thanks guys! :slight_smile:

@Earl: Yes, traversing such a steep incline like Fargo has its own set of difficult challenges. In some ways, it can be even harder than going straight up, in the sense that you are fighting the very strong pull of angular gravity and other forces when you are [somewhat] perpendicular to the hill, including extreme camber as you mention. This requires more pinpoint balance and the ability to make many corrective maneuvers when shifting directions at the turns, sometimes by way of a 90 degree hop-twist.

And if a corrective hop is necessary, as it usually is at some point, the intense gravity tends to suck you down a good foot or more; lost ground that you have to make up! And while going straight up would be about 550 feet, traversing adds another 250-300 feet and a LOT more lung-busting, heart pounding revs! Either way, it feels like a mile! :smiley: