ISIS Vs. Regular

I want to know the diference in an ISIS hub, like the ones that come on the koxx unis, and how they compare to the KH splined hub, or any other hub.

Just some basic info, like which one is stronger, why is the isis hub stronger or is the KH stronger? any difference on how they mad, just stuff like that =p

HERE

Ive seen that before, but it doesnt give that good of info on ISIS splined hubs, it helps with everything else, but im kinda just wondering what makes ISIS so special =p

ISIS is a standardized crank interface. it’s very useful on bikes where tons of companies have their own interfaces. ISIS cranks can be swapped with other ISIS cranks, profile’s for example can only be replaced with profiles. that’s the cool thing about ISIS. other than that it’s a fairly strong interface on par with KH and profile. basically a well made splined system will be super strong and very hard to break regardless of exact design.

kool =p i noticed they had a much larger selection of crank sizes, and ive seen yoggi do insane drops and his stuff hold out fine, but i never see ppl do anything that big with profiles or KH’s.

Now im probably gonna get a KOXX for a new uni unsted of buying a profile wheelset, or i still might get a KH, still not decided =p

You have never seen anyone go big with profiles or kh’s. Pfffft. Seen defect, any good quality riding videos on here. Im sure you have you just dont know.

Mike

You are right Koxx crank sets take big drops. So do the KH ones. Check this photo.

http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=11055&g2_serialNumber=2&g2_GALLERYSID=1343a6026432347521cb2336e801504f

Ive seen Kh going big, but not as big as what ive seen done on KOXX, like the photo of yoggi doing that insane drop shown on his profile on koxx one.

But seriously, what makes the isis hubs different then ones made by torker, qu-ax (i heard they were switching to a isis), and KH. like, what do they do different to them to make them stand out?

re-read my post. KH is 36 spline, profile is 48 spline and ISIS is 10, 12? something like that. splines are the little slots or ridges where the hub and cranks meet. more doesn’t necessarily mean better. these companies set their stuff apart from qu-ax and torker by being stronger and lighter.

//edit: what makes them stand out (as i said before) is that you can you more than just the koxx cranks. you can use any ISIS cranks you want. this is a huge plus, expecially for muni.

i know that, and i know about the fact on how more splines doesnt mean its gonna be the strongest, i know that more splines doesnt mean its stronger, and different materials can make it lighter and stronger.

I having a hard time trying to put what i want here lol, probably from lack of sleep, i shouldnt of stayed up all last night =(

So for ISIS, they are around 10, or 12 splined, KH is 36, Profile are 48, but even though isis has less splines is it the material the use that makes it so strong, or the design or the way the make the ridges?

And the added crank options are a big plus =p

I found a really nice explenation on ISIS hubs, went through tons of search result, but i finally found what i needed, so now im going to bed, =p

Could you post what you found? im interested aswell…

I will give that link again… I was very specific on the photo. I gave in that link again.

http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=11055&g2_serialNumber=2&g2_GALLERYSID=1343a6026432347521cb2336e801504f

Roger

im pretty sure yoggi had profiles on in that photo… and his entire wheelset got totalled.

yoggi does break KOXX ISIS cranks too… nothing can withstand things like 14ft drops to flat for very long.

KH 2005 crank and hubset.

I might be wrong but I’m pretty sure that Yoggi rode a wheelset with Onza hub/cranks during the last Unicon (when the picture was taken).

oops, I think you are right. It must have been the Onza ones because I have a feeling that the KH hub was not out then. There is a picture of the trashed wheel somewhere up, but I could not find it, that would confirm it.

Roger

And the drop was in a tire, I think you cant compare a drop in a bouncing tire with a drop on normal ground.

The ISIS crank availability “advantage”, unfortunately, is a deceptive one, since the range of ISIS-compatible cranks out there is largely limited to 170-175mm lengths. If the rider does not need those lengths, the (current) ISIS crank availability situation is not much of a driving consideration.

For the ISIS, KH, and Profile hubs, the question is, what crank lengths does the hub manufacturer supply that are compatible with its hub? A refinement of this question also asks, for which applications?

This is not the place for a full discussion of this topic; the main thing is for the consumer to think of his/her specific application (i.e., “I’m a small guy doing trials but prefer low cadences”, or “I’m a tall woman doing extreme off-road and can spin like heck”), and consider the range of cranks that are suitable for that application from each hub supplier. This range, for the KH and Koxx, is 4-5 lengths that span a reasonable portion of the unicycling market’s needs. For the Profile, this is 10 lengths that cover the longer range more thoroughly, and is limited in the shorter range to 145mm. If you are primarily a MUni rider, then being able to purchase a 125mm crankset is irrelevant to you, and you might appreciate the refinement that is available from the Profile line. For instance, some riders use 165 or 160mm cranks on their 24" MUnis. If you are doing mod trials and are a small person, then you might want to use 125mm cranks on your trials setup, and choose the KH or Koxx instead. Finally, the same rider might want to swap cranks for different purposes. Participating in a 24 hour race might prompt a rider to swap in shorter cranks for more speed.

However, if the ISIS 170-175mm predominance fits the rider’s needs, then he/she has a HUGE selection, and this is a great advantage. A small caveat is that (again) most ISIS cranks are designed for road bicycle use. However, there are exceptions, such as the Bonz trials cranks, which come in 160 and 170mm.

I’ve also been glad to see and test some trials-quality square taper cranks, such as the Profile trials 158mm, and the Middleburn 165-180mm trials cranks. These cranks work very well on the 36" unis that LiveWire supplies to customers, and are integral to the Outta Phaze unicycle. The Middleburn crankset is the practical successor to the Kooka crankset that was so popular. They are also available with the ISIS interface. Please contact us for more information or to purchase these fine cranks.

im getting my koxx isis hub and cranks for $170 CAD …is that a good price?