is this normal?

When you mount make sure that you have most of your weight on the seat and not the pedals, that will probably make it more difficult to actually yourself situated on the uni to ride off.

Also, as was mentioned earlier, since you’ve got quite a bit of experience riding, try the static mount. Its too difficult for me to explain in words, but www.unicycle.2ya.com has a video of it I think.

Hope I help, and good luck!

Re: is this normal?

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 12:13:30 -0600, “LegoBoy” wrote:

>okay, does someone have a link to some page where I can see vids of
>different types of mounts so I can get the terms correct?

I think the best page for this is
<http://unicyclist.org/cont/standard.cfm>. Towards the bottom is a
list of 43 mounts, each one has a description linked to them and most
of the more doable mounts have links to vids in various formats. Leo
Vandewoestijne made a great resource there.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

people who unicycle are shyly exhibitionistic - GILD

Beginner mounting

It’s uncanny how one learns certain skills firts while others learn other skills. I can’t seem to hop or idle for the life of me! But a rolling mount was one of the first things I learned how to do.

I’ll be 41 this year and I just learned how to ride last April, so not quite a year yet. I had to learn to do a standing free mount becuase my interest is Muni riding rather than trials. But in the woods on trails, I don’t always have the luxury of a rolling mount, so I had to learn how to free mount.

I was struggling for awhile until someone offered a technique and it worked immediately.

Place the seat between your legs with either your right or left pedal almost at the bottom. (your mount foot) The problem I was having is I put to much force on that foot and inveribally rolled the wheel too far and it shot out behind me. So, instead sort of hop or jump off your other foot. This takes the weight off your mount foot and keeps your body weight balanced. As the wheel rolls forward, place your foot on the pedal with one fluid motion.

Sounds easy, sure. I can roll mount, and free mount with either foot now, but I still can’t get more than three hops. And forget idling! Go figure?