is this normal?

Okay, I can ride up 3 inch bumps, down 6 inch bumps, make sharp turns (90 degre turn within 1 foot), hop several inches (only started that 2 days ago), but I still can only successfully free-mount about 1 of 25 tries. Is this normal? If not does anyone have any suggestions for me?

Thank you
LegoBoy

yep, that’s pretty normal I think. freemounting is very hard at first, one of the most difficult skills to learn for a beginner aside from riding. just keep practicing, a lot, a whole lot, and eventually you’ll be able to freemount in your sleep. or something.

If you are not using one currently: Try using the static mount.
If you are using the static mount: Try mounting more slowly.

I konw I learnt freemounting before I could do most of those things, but everyone learns things in different orders. You may find the tips and video tutorial at www.unicycle.2ya.com helpful…there’s one on freemounting.

Andrew

Keep your head UP, and look UP!

I think so too

But still… I’ve been trying to learn free-mounting for about 7 months! It’s quite vexing. Oh and to further show my on unicycle skill, today I did a 4 inch hop, and was able to ride across a 3 inch wide ledge for 6 feet (first time hoping that high, and first evey try unicycling across a ledge like that). Woo!

Nice work! keep it up:D

Re: is this normal?

“LegoBoy” <LegoBoy@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com> writes:

> But still… I’ve been trying to learn free-mounting for about 7 months!
> It’s quite vexing. Oh and to further show my on unicycle skill, today I
> did a 4 inch hop, and was able to ride across a 3 inch wide ledge for 6
> feet (first time hoping that high, and first evey try unicycling across
> a ledge like that). Woo!

Here’s a thought…

Since you’ve been hopping, you might find a jump mount more natural
than the standard mount. Hold the front of the saddle, jump onto the
pedals and ride off.

Ken

Re: Re: is this normal?

that would work probably, but wouldn’t it be kind of strange that the only mount he can do is a jump mount?

legoboy… what kinds of problems are you having? be more specific and it might be easier to help you…

I can get on my unicycle (my 24" Torker) (put right peddle at about 7 o’clock, and step up onto it) and hold my balance for a while, I just can’t get started moving. And when I start with the peddle straight down I have allot of trouble getting onto the unicycle. I’ve tried all sorts of slight variations… still no success, other on my 20" Schwinn when I have the seat low so I can stand on the ground when sitting on the seat with the unicycle directly under me.

Try an alternative mount of some sort. I had the same problem and I learned to freemount basically by inventing my own mount. (I am told it is too hard to do on anything bigger than a 20" though.) You could try a jump mount, or whatever.

lean forward when mounting. riding the unicycle is actually just the action of falling forwards, and pedaling so the wheel will keep up. so when you mount, lean forward to make your top half begin falling forwards, then your bottom half can start pedalling to keep up.

I think that’ll work for ya.

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 21:44:47 -0600, “LegoBoy” wrote:

>I can get on my unicycle (my 24" Torker) (put right peddle at about 7
>o’clock, and step up onto it) and hold my balance for a while, I just
>can’t get started moving.

Maybe you mount to get precisely above the wheel? You shouldn’t. You
should actually aim to go farther forward, so that you have to start
pedaling to keep the wheel under you.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

people who unicycle are shyly exhibitionistic - GILD

it sounds to me like your doing a half rollback, try doing a 1/2 rotation backwards after you get on (to make your feet level instead of vertical) and then going forwards).

Also, make sure you are using both hands to balance (don’t hold the seat if doing a rollback) and that you look up and out. Focus on a point in about 15 feet away for balance.

okay, thanks for the tips, I’ll try them out next time I unicycle. Not now tho, I just got back from a one hour ride (mostly experimenting with mounting). It looks like for me a forward roling mount may work, I was able to on average mount 1 or 10 tries.

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 15:06:19 -0600, “LegoBoy” wrote:

>It looks like for me a forward roling mount may work, I was
>able to on average mount 1 or 10 tries.

Terminology remark:
A “rolling mount” is one where the wheel never stops rolling (in the
same direction, usually forward) during the mount. Few beginners can
pull that off.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

people who unicycle are shyly exhibitionistic - GILD

okay, does someone have a link to some page where I can see vids of different types of mounts so I can get the terms correct?

there’s a list of different mounts on http://marsht.tripod.com/
and a tutorial for basic freemounting. and on unicycle.2ya.com there’s a video tutorial for static and rollback mounts.

Are you holding onto something to help you mount?

If you are, STOP!

Only get on the unicycle by freemounting, and you’ll be forced into learning it well.