Is this a record?

Dear Norris mcWhirter, I have a flat round black thing with a groove… oops, sorry, wrong joke.

I rode 7.23 miles today, mainly off road, but finishing with a ride all the way along the main street through Burton Joyce, past kids sitting on walls, past people at bus stops, past bored builders packing up to go home, past dog walkers, cyclists, the lot, and in the whole ride, not one person made an putative absent wheel related quip.

Is this a record?

That’s a. not an of course. Oops!

[sp] I suppose that makes it an amputated quip, neh?

Here, print this out and put it in your pocket for your next ride:

Hey, are you a clown, like…uh…in a circus?

Now, slip that out of your pocket whenever you feel neglected. ;)[/sp]

-Christopher

Re: Is this a record?

Mikefule wrote:
> Dear Norris mcWhirter, I have a flat round black thing with a groove…
> oops, sorry, wrong joke.

Stop confusing people.

There are probably kids in this ng who’ve never seen a record.

How old do you feel now? :wink:

Danny Colyer (remove safety to reply) ( http://www.juggler.net/danny )
Recumbent cycle page: http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/recumbents/
“Coarseness and vulgarity are unforgivable in a lady; that’s the man’s
job” - Marge Simpson

I know someone who’s never owned…a tape! Mon D’ieu! Back to the topic at hand…as funny as the comments are, and how stupid people seem to be everywhere, I’d say only about half my rides have a comment in them.

On that note, a 2 year old or something said to my (while perched atop his miniature Scwinn (is that who makes them?) Radio Flyer, who got a grin from ear to ear and said, while pointing, ‘bike’ I felt like scolding him

I rode all over Kathmandu a few weeks ago- weaving in and around the crazy traffic, tuk-tuks, cows, chickens, women plucking chickens, kids playing in the middle of the road, trucks, soldiers with machine guns etc. etc. Probably a good few hours riding at least (I got lost), and not one single person made a ‘missing-wheel-related-quip’ either. At least not in English. Does it count if the kids break out into laughter as you ride past?

My point wasn’t that I’d done an amazing ride, but that it had been completely free of the traditional unfunny comment. As for the laughter, there are two types, the laugh of joy and excitement, and the deliberate, forced and derisive type. I like type one, and find type two annoying.

Oops! I caught the send button by mistake. I was going to go on to say, I’m in awe of anyone who’s ridden in the circumstances you describe. Tell us more.

Heh- I just rode down to the gas station for some air in my tire, about .5 miles each way, and I got 2 comments:

“Missin a wheel, buddy!” from some lame construction worker driving along, and I also got just a “wow” from some lady walking to her car which was at least not some other lame comment. :slight_smile:

I wish people would just keep it to themselves sometimes, oh well.

topside

It’s just the most amazingly crazy place to ride a unicycle- you see something new everywhere you ride. I would thoroughly recommend going there and seeing for yourself. And the people are really nice.

As for the traditional unfunny comments, I think it’s only natural to try your wit when you see someone doing something interesting. I saw this couple out on a tandem mountainbike the other day- ‘hey look, siamese unicycle!’
Doh!

Ken

On Wed, 24 Jul 2002 20:29:54 +0100, “Danny Colyer”
<danny@jugglersafety.net> wrote:

>Mikefule wrote:
>> Dear Norris mcWhirter, I have a flat round black thing with a groove…
>> oops, sorry, wrong joke.
>
>Stop confusing people.
>
>There are probably kids in this ng who’ve never seen a record.
>
>How old do you feel now? :wink:

Old and very off-topic question for the oldies then: Typically, how
many grooves does a record have?

Klaas Bil

some comments are bad,redundant and i can almost psychically feel when there comming.this is nothing compared to the spontanious hand claping i somtimes get.whats-up with that?

Somehow, I seem to get the unfunny comments when not riding it, i.e. Where’s the other wheel on your bike?, and all the stupid ones while riding it i.e. Is that hard?? :angry: Yet just recently, my three unicycling friends and i just did a small performance in a talent show at a youth summer camp in front of nine hundred people and as I was walking my unicycle back to my room after the show (the ******ing crank got loose so i couldn’t ride) nobody of all those I walked past said anything at all. . . :thinking: I even rode with one foot and backwards and everything in the show!! wierd

-Jon Davis

Re: Re: Is this a record?

But as Stevie Wonder pointed out, just because a record has a groove don’t make it in the groove.

Yes, as in one on each side.

I’d say so.I hate all the quips,But I love the ride to much to let it get to
me.
You gotta just laugh eh

“Mikefule” <Mikefule.8b6ua@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote in message
news:Mikefule.8b6ua@timelimit.unicyclist.com
>
> Dear Norris mcWhirter, I have a flat round black thing with a groove…
> oops, sorry, wrong joke.
>
> I rode 7.23 miles today, mainly off road, but finishing with a ride all
> the way along the main street through Burton Joyce, past kids sitting on
> walls, past people at bus stops, past bored builders packing up to go
> home, past dog walkers, cyclists, the lot, and in the whole ride, not
> one person made an putative absent wheel related quip.
>
> Is this a record?
>
>
> –
> Mikefule - Roland Hope School of Unicycling
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Mikefule’s Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/879
> View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/19499
>

I’ve become almost oblivious to the silly one wheel comments, but I once had a 10 year old kid call me an idiot for riding when there was a little bit of snow on the ground(I had just got my uni and was anxious to ride)

“duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu” Tim