Is this a good deal?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1828227801

a 26" unicycle by Gravity Industrial Design Group… never heard of 'em.
You?

“…has a special seats with protective chrome steel rails. In addition,
this one comes with expensive & strong Uni-crown fork and extra heavy duty
bearings. This is a Brand New Unicycle in the factory box (takes about 5 to
10 minutes to assemble).”

Opening bid is $69 (plus $20 shipping). What do you think? How much would
you bid (Dutch auction, 10 yikes)?

“There is more to
to the theater than
than repetition.”

–The Flying Karamazov Brothers

“777170077307707170770607077400”

– Martin Probert

I wouldn’t buy it just for the seat. That thing REALLY hurts after about oh… three minutes! I dont know how good the rest of it is.

Doesn’t look too convincing to me, and the write up is very iffy too. Many find that learning is easier on a 26 inch, do they? How do they know? You can only learn once!

The seat looks uncomfortable and dangerous. What will happen to that chrome steel rail when it hits the tarmac a few times? It’ll get razor sharp, that’s what.

The wheel looks rather narrow, and as far as I can see, it’s steel rather than alloy.

For someone who already rides, and wants a 26 for variety, probably it’d be a good purchase. The price is certianly low enough at the moment. I’d suggest paying the extra for a better known make with a fatter tyre, alloy rim and a decent seat.

steel is an alloy. Sorry, that drives me crazy.

>>>>> Aha! A fellow pedant! You are of course correct. Nevertheless…
:0)

I don’t think it’s so much that I am a pedant, as much as that I used to study material science. You can mispel awl tha werds yu lyke. I only give people a hard time for that if they are the ones correcting others. There is just something funny about someone dedicating a whole post to correcting spelling, then making a mistake himself in the same post. The steel/ alloy thing, I just see that mistake a bunch and that one gets me. So does the one where somebody tries to argue that glass is really a liquid since it doesn’t have a melting point. I hate when people don’t believe me on that one. Alright, I guess I am a pedant. Crud. I hate to be “that guy.”
-gauss

It would be a good deal if you didn’t have to pay shipping. The write up is devoid of any truth, substance, or meaning. You could buy a 24" of similar quality with a seat (rather than what the “rare” “bike” on ebay has) for about the same. In short, they are asking you to pay $89 for a unicycle without a seat after reading a writeup done by a hairbrush salesman who once saw a one-wheeled vehicle in a Belgian circus act on television.

Ok, I know it’s not on topic but you’ve really caught my attention - Glass doesn’t have a melting point?

I’ve heard some of the arguments surrounding pitch being a liquid and I’m aware of the pitch drop experiment but I’d always assumed that glass was a solid and since after heating glass turns liquid, it must have a melting point. It might have a very wide temperature range over which it melts and solidifies but that’s hardly surprising because of all the additives that glass workers add specifically to increase the working range of the glass. If it didn’t have a wide cooling range there would be a lot of glass blowers with extremely sore lungs. If you allowed glass to solidify slowly it would form crystals which would completely ruin the properties of the glass and make it too brittle so it’s cooled rapidly to form a amorphous solid with a structure that could be best described as a highly crosslinked inorganic polymer.

Go on, explain - I note from your comments that you don’t agree with the arguments but I’d still like to hear what they are even if the idea is extremely far fetched.

Glass undergoes some amazing changes. As I recall, at about 900 deg F it can devitrafy- becoming increadibly caustic. I had to explain this to my instructor when asked why there was a hole eaten through the bottom of the lab kiln; this was durring the annealing phaze, in which I was attempting to prevent stress from developing within the glass matrix by cooling it very, very slowly. Sometimes you WANT that stress present- so that something like plate glass will shater when some fool on a unicycle pedals into it. I’m sure the gee-wizz folks at Corning have developed substances that chalange what we call ‘glass’, but for Joe-Glass-Blower (or for what was briefly the case for me, Chris-Glass-Caster) this should still be true.

Every batch of glass has it’s own characteristics, and thus requires a different annealing schedual, in which temperature is dropped and then held for a set period -often obtained through trial and error- to soak the glass and reliev any stress imparted by the temperature change. The larger the piece of glass, the longer the annealing process. I spoke with a guy in California who made some horrablely large (and ugly) glass sculptures that had to be annealed over a week.

Old windows that were vissibly wider at the bottom were often refered to as colloquial evidence that glass is a liquid. I’m no Greg Harper, but I imagine this is kinda like calling a mushroom a plant.

Christopher

Liquid does not equal fluid.

A so-called “super cooled liquid” can appear to be a solid because its fluidity has greatly reduced.

Substances are usually defined by their molecular bonding not their appearance.

Or so they say :slight_smile:

I AM a Greg Harper and a mushroom is certainly no plant. It’s a cloud.

I had a feeling this would happen. This belongs in a separate thread. Under the conversation forum I will post and address this glass issue.
-gauss

Re: Is this a good deal?

> The seat looks uncomfortable and dangerous. What will happen to that
> chrome steel rail when it hits the tarmac a few times? It’ll get razor
> sharp, that’s what.

I learned on a 24" DM, on tarmac, which has very similar chrome steel rails
on the seat. I dropped it many, many times and never noticed that it became
razor sharp. The rails were admittedly covered with a rubber tube at
first, but that last about five minutes.

The seat does look like rubbish though.

I don’t recommend a 26" for a learner, but I suppose it could work out.

Arnold the Aardvark

RE: Is this a good deal?

> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1828227801
> a 26" unicycle by Gravity Industrial Design Group… never
> heard of 'em. You?

It’s apparently a company that makes stickers. The unicycle is more commonly
seen with stickers from the Savage company. The actual factory is in Taiwan
or China, and makes unicycle parts for many different distributors and
companies.

This is also not a 26" unicycle. I highly doubt it. That would mean the seat
was huge. It isn’t. Those seats come in one size, and they get onto all the
cheap unicycles like cockroaches. They are yukky seats. The seat on that
piece of rust from the other eBay post, when new, was much better. Those
Savage seats are too wide in the front, and the bumpers only protect the
seat for a while before the cover starts ripping and the seat starts to
distort. Watch your fingers. Though drops on pavement generally don’t make
the rails sharp, when they bend they can form pinch areas your fingers can
get caught in.

I think it’s a 24" wheel, and the seller, who is good at making up copy,
hasn’t taken a close look at the numbers on the side of the tire. The seller
obviously knows absolutely nothing about unicycles as this is the best one
he/she has ever seen.

$20 for shipping is excessive. It used to cost us about $5 to get Miyatas
from the distributor in Chicago to New York. It’s already in the box so why
so much markup?

Dutch auction? These unicycles probably cost about $40-50 each from the
distributor, in bulk. I would not pay more than $50 each for a batch of 10
from this reseller. Then again, I would not buy anything from this seller.
Anyone who would write that nonsense would not have any qualms about lying
about anything else either.

Stay on top,
John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
jfoss@unicycling.com

“If people want to truly understand mountain biking, they have to do two
other things: ride a unicycle, and master the trampoline.” – Joe Breeze,
one of the originators of mountain biking, in a conversation with Tim Bustos