Is the newest KH freeride any different from what I got?

Hello everyone!
I got my 36 second hand, and now that I can ride it relatively efficiently, I would like to upgrade it a bit.
I heard the KH freeride seats is one of the most valued seats for comfort, but when I googled it I notice it looks different from mine. Any chance I got an old version? And if so have there been major improvements in the latest iteration of the seat?

1 Like

Sort of a tangent here - but are you coming from a Nimbus saddle? If so, let me know how much better this one is. I’ve only ever tried two kinds of Nimbus saddles. I’m actually fine with them BUT folks rant about how bad they are (stock, non-boiled, etc.), so I probably just don’t know what I’m missing haha.

P.S. Your saddle in the picture doesn’t look like the one I saw for this model on the website. So, I get your concern.

1 Like

I think the only difference is your saddle might be softer than a brand new one as yours should have been worn in. Softer = you don’t have to wear it in as it is already as soft as it gets!
Yours might have a drawstring cord to hold it in place and the new one have Velcro. This doesn’t matter.

3 Likes

Do you meant the KH Fusion saddles?
The first thing to know is that if you ask 100 unicyclists about saddles, you’ll get 100 different answers, but mine would be that the KH Fusion One is the best I’ve ever ridden. It’s comfy, and because it’s flat one can move around on it and change one’s seating position, or as they say in Pilates ‘tilt your sit-bone’.

4 Likes

My own personal favorite is the medium M41 handle saddle, but my Quax RGB came with what I understand is a rebranded KH Fusion, and it was a pretty good saddle. Now, what I found was that it was far more likely to squeeze your parts than a nimbus saddle, but if you sat in it right, so that your parts were in front of you, rather than underneath you, it gave you better comfort and control than a Nimbus saddle.

I’ve still got that saddle. I’ve passed it on to my daughter, and she seems to think it’s great.

2 Likes

This is an older version of the seat, there’s been several versions actually. The current one is only made from vinyl, and has no mesh/fabric on the sides. They’re also a little bit stiffer. The one you have is every body’s darling when it comes to muni.

3 Likes

Hey Ryan, no never tried a nimbus, my experience is all on hold KH and miyata. Never heard of boiling seats though :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Lol I had not heard of boiling seats either. Search for it on the forums here. It is a weird practice.

I know what you mean, personally, I really liked my Miyata air seat, but I seem to understand those are a thing of the past, and now there are much better options.

1 Like

In simple terms boiling seats is a method of heating the plastic seat base so that it can be flattened to remove some or all of the curved banana shape of the saddle. This was before flat saddles were commercially available. Now there is quite a good selection of flatter saddles.

1 Like

I see, ok it looks like I won’t be changing the seat any time soon then.

1 Like

Also used nowadays if you’re a cheapskate like myself. There isn’t all that much curve on a stock Club saddle, but I like it more without any curve so I boiled it. I am looking at the Fusion One though, it looks nice, and if I can successfully make a homemade Ursli bar style handlebar in the next day or so then I will probably order the Fusion One as I hear it is better with a handlebar.

1 Like

If you enjoy riding with a handlebar (as I do) then every saddle is better with a bar :slight_smile:

Never tried the Fusion One without a bar but I have two Unis with the saddle. One with a m4o short extension/ursli bar and another with the Flansberrium asymmetrical mini T-bar (pictured with the original handle for size reference)

My issue with the ursli bar is that holding onto the sides puts my hands and arms in a fairly unnaturally position so I usually end up with just holding onto the top of the loop with one hand and that is slightly uncomfortable.
However the mini T-bar is very ergonomical for me but its best suited for riding with one hand on the bar (there is another version that is symmetrical and probably great for two handed riding).

2 Likes

The way that my homemade ursli bar is going it will be something in between your two setups. The loop is sort of flat across the top and the curves are wide so there should be a good hand hold in the middle of the curves. I think these last few posts should be moved to the thread about ursli bars since they don’t have anything to do with KH Freeride anymore if it’s not too much trouble @Canapin.

2 Likes