Is the Gazz 3.0 slow?

Hi,

Is the Gazz 24 x 3.0 slower than a 24 x 2.6? I have been told that this is the case. Is there any advantage to the 2.6 besides lighter weight?

Workin the maze.

Re: Is the Gazz 3.0 slow?

[QUOTE]
Originally posted by teachndad

besidez lighter weight,no there is no differance.thats not what you wanted to here though right?
]Originally posted by teachndad

The 24x3 Gazz will be faster than a 24x2.6 with the same crank length, since it has a larger diameter, but that is sort of beside the point. I like the ride of the 24x3 Gazz much better than the 26x2.6 I used to ride. It seems to me that it rolls over things better than a 26, despite its smaller diameter. I think this is a combination of its momentum and squishiness. Either way, I think I can go faster over technical terrain with it.

I can’t think of any reason to go with a 24x2.6 Gazz if you have the choice of a 3" one. Maybe get a 26x2.6 if you just want to do easy cross country terrain. I’m not saying that you can’t ride technical stuff on a 2.6, but a 3" would be better for it, and still works fine for cross country.

Ben

Ya, me too! :slight_smile: - but since I’m short on brevity:

This depends on your streangths, riding sytle and preferances.

The 24x3 is slower to change speed, and although it has a great amount of precompress, is heavy and can be a drag in a hop- especialy when you can’t pre-hop.

I thought the 3" would take excessive energy to climb with; however, the added stability and ability to luff over some obsticles that would other wise have to be hopped made up for the weight. (Instead of lots of incidental energy burnt making balance corrections, you have to push that extra weight). The stability comes in handy when you have to peck your way up, since it allows one to have a less fernetic aproach with time to consider options. The down side is it’s slughish nature- some times you need to be fernetic. The same climbs I took on my 2.1 require a good deal more forethought; since the wheel takes longer to accelerate, you have to start pumping in energy earlyer than you otherwise might. This impact in performance is large enough to be an issue, for me; sometimes I have trouble spinning up to what the situation requires. Eventualy, I expect to overcome this with conditioning and technique.

The 2.6 is a versitile tyre. It is fast and responcive, has way more air than my 2.1, and oodles more traction. In hops that require a concerted effort, the weight can make a differance in distance, and may dictate weather you can clean an obsticle the way you want. It is debateably a better cross over tyre for urban riding than the 3.

In moderately steep downhill runs, a lighter/quicker tyre makes for a faster, more exciting ride. This is probably the main issue for me, and why I’m stoked about the 2.6; some trails are just plain fun when taken twitchy fast- like taking mogals when skiing- and the 3" Gazz just can’t deliver both the speed and responciveness to fill that bill.

I’m not suggesting that STEEP decents and rough terrain don’t call for the wider tyre- undoubtably I’d rather have the fat girl under me to bleed off speed and plow over obsticles; but just like the re-occuring “Which size wheel is better, 24 or 20?” question, the answer is “What do you want to do and what do you like?”

Christopher

Man, I am always impressed with the amount of knowledge the experienced riders have. Some day I will be there. There is just so much to learn. I just assumed the GAzz was God’s gift to Muni and had no shortcomings.

The question came up because I am finding that I really like my 2.6, but that’s because I haven’t ridden anything else. It feels nimble and goes over small rocks imbedded in the trail, so, to me its a “3.0”. I am having a lighter frame built for me that will be designed around a 3.0 tire.

I like to ride single track. I look for trails which wind uphill, traverse and generally meander. I would like to become proficient at this type of trail riding and be able to cover at least 5 miles on a ride, though I am no where near that right now. I am not into riding fire roads. That’s not my gig, but I ride it if someone else is along. I can’t really handle long steep descents, because it just trashes my knees. Just to much pain, so I walk it if necessary.

I was hoping there was a cut and dry answer, but obviously there isn’t one. I plan on designing the frame around the 3.0, but am now realizing that I might just go back to the 2.6. From what Christopher says, it sounds like the 3.0 might be a little less nimble when climbing than the 2.6. I like this in the 2.6. I will try the 3.0 first to see if it works for me. It actually sounds like it might not. Hmmmm… so much to learn and loving it.:smiley:

Thanks.

Work the maze.

“teachndad” <teachndad.3uvjm@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote in message
news:teachndad.3uvjm@timelimit.unicyclist.com
>
> The question came up because I am finding that I really like my 2.6, but
> that’s because I haven’t ridden anything else. It feels nimble and goes
> over small rocks imbedded in the trail, so, to me its a “3.0”. I am
> having a lighter frame built for me that will be designed around a 3.0
> tire.
>
> I like to ride single track. I look for trails which wind uphill,
> traverse and generally meander. I would like to become proficient at
> this type of trail riding and be able to cover at least 5 miles on a
> ride, though I am no where near that right now. I am not into riding
> fire roads. That’s not my gig, but I ride it if someone else is along.
> I can’t really handle long steep descents, because it just trashes my
> knees. Just to much pain, so I walk it if necessary.

If you don’t hop much and are looking at going distances, you might like to
try a 26x2.6 inch gazz instead of a 24x2.6, it’s a bit better at rolling
over things and a fair bit faster at actually going along. A bit heavier if
you hop lots though. I’ve been 30 miles plus on my 26". Personally I reckon
it’s more fun on singletrack because you can go that little bit faster.

Joe

RE: Is the Gazz 3.0 slow?

> Is the Gazz 24 x 3.0 slower than a 24 x 2.6? I have been told
> that this is the case. Is there any advantage to the 2.6
> besides lighter weight?

As a short answer, I would offer “no.” Unless you’re in top physical
condition and racing, it should be a pretty small difference. The speed
difference would probably not be noticeable.

The reason to use a fat tire is for the bigger air volume. When I went from
a regular MTB tire to my 2.6" Gazz in 1999, the difference was huge. It was
so much easier to ride down the Lock 'em Up Trail in Santa Cruz at MUni
Weekend, I didn’t realize I had ridden through the hard part until afterward
when I couldn’t find it. A huge difference on bumps & drops.

If your bumps & drops aren’t that big, and if you feel plenty confident
riding and landing with your current tire size, you don’t need more. But if
you liked the transition from “regular” to 2.6, might you like stepping up
to 3" even more?

I, personally, need more. The only reason I’ve been riding on a 2.6 tire
since '99 was that a fatter one didn’t fit my MUni.

All that’s about to change. Now I will start riding on a 3" tire (and a new
unicycle, which I’ll tell you all about after I’ve taken it on the trail). I
probably won’t ever go back, except for specialized rides, such as races.

Stay on top,
John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
jfoss@unicycling.com

“I am never riding the wrong way on a busy street again, esp. when on the
phone.” - David Stone, on survival

>
> I can’t think of any reason to go with a 24x2.6 Gazz if you have the
> choice of a 3" one. Maybe get a 26x2.6 if you just want to do easy cross
> country terrain. I’m not saying that you can’t ride technical stuff on a
> 2.6, but a 3" would be better for it, and still works fine for cross
> country.

Or, for a 26" tire you might want to try the Intense 26 x 2.7" tire instead
of the Gazzaloddi. The side walls are significantly thinker, resulting in less
fold over with low pressure.
Max

If long descents bother your knees, a brake could help a lot.

I can’t really handle long steep descents, because it just trashes my knees. Just to much pain, so I walk it if necessary.