"Is that hard?"

Sofa’s “worst comment” post reminded me that when I’m asked “Is that hard”, I usually answer depending upon my mood. Obviously many tricks done on unicycles, e.g. wheel-walking, one footed-backwards, etc, are very hard and so “yes” is the appropriate response.

However, I don’t have this problem. The most difficult thing I do on an uni is mount a giraffe and when asked if that’s difficult I say yes.

But what about just basic riding? Sometimes when asked this I say “no not really, just a little practice and you’re on your way”; other times, “yes”; and other times “yeah, it’s certainly harder than riding a bicycle but far from impossible.”

Assuming that your average person over the age of 12 or so can pick up unicycling in a week and in a month be able to ride to the store to pick up a quart of milk, just how hard is it?

I know there’s no single answer, but how do others generally respond to this question?

Raphael Lasar
Matawan, Nj

I always say, it only took me 10 hours to ride it comfortably down the street, and everything else comes fairly quickly, and let them judge for themselves

Re: “Is that hard?”

In article <JJuggle.apwty@timelimit.unicyclist.com>,
JJuggle <JJuggle.apwty@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:
)
)But what about just basic riding? Sometimes when asked this I say “no
)not really, just a little practice and you’re on your way”; other times,
)“yes”; and other times “yeah, it’s certainly harder than riding a
)bicycle but far from impossible.”

I usually go with “It’s hard to learn, but not hard to do.”
-Tom

It’s a fair question to which I always respond, “it’s difficult to learn but then easy to do.”

Re: “Is that hard?”

JJuggle <JJuggle.apwty@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:

> But what about just basic riding? Sometimes when asked this I say “no
> not really, just a little practice and you’re on your way”; other times,
> “yes”; and other times “yeah, it’s certainly harder than riding a
> bicycle but far from impossible.”

> Assuming that your average person over the age of 12 or so can pick up
> unicycling in a week and in a month be able to ride to the store to pick
> up a quart of milk, just how hard is it?

> I know there’s no single answer, but how do others generally respond to
> this question?

“Totally impossible” - got to keep the mystique…

Paul

Paul Selwood
paul@vimes.u-net.com http://www.vimes.u-net.com

I reply with “It’s a lot harder to ride with a broken neck.”

I used to get asked this while on the steeper bits of the Malverns; as I go past literally dripping in sweat, puffing and panting, having to hop up bits every few metres…

If I was able to speak I generally said “this bit is”…

Phil, just me

Have you been disobeying Doctor’s orders?

I probably would. ‘Really Doc, I’m only unicycling a little bit!’

Slightly. I have been doing any MUni or any hardcore riding. I did a short ride on a 24 around a park when beeull came down, but that’s the most of my riding experience. The fireball is away getting powdercoated as we speak, and I should be back on that in a week and a half.

Someone asked me if it takes a lot of balance to ride.

I said yes, it does. But then again, so does walking.