Is my '07 KH rim toast?

What does SIF mean?

Seat In Front

Ya know, when you hold the seat out in front of you…some do it when they hop. You can do that when you drop too, but not to many do SIF drops…at least not to high of ones.

…SPOKE WRENCH… I know I know… It’s probably pretty stupid… but I do hit 6-8ft drops on regular basis and I usually bend my rims a bit… not that much… what I do is I tight all the spokes…Then I order a new rim and ride my old one till it breaks and when it does I hopefully received the new one ! :astonished:

That definitely looks fixable. But, if not, think of it as an opurtunity to go to a Large Marge!!

you need to ride your tire harder.

whenever you do drops it gets so close to bottoming out. and you need to roll out more.

oh yeah, do what max said. you want your spokes to be so tight you can barely squeeze them and make them move.

Muniaddict,

Oh no!

You just helped me make up my mind though. After your unfortunate run-in with the FEDEX box and the bent rim…I decided to get the last 2005 KH24 with the old rim, hub, and cranks.

Not mostly because of the rim damage you endured but because I can share the cranks (125, 150, and 165) between the KH-24 and my KH-29 with the Onza hub. Just ordered it, looking forward to receiving it.

I bet you are glad your trusty 2005 is there to keep you company while your new wheel gets adjusted. Hope it is as good as new!

Thanks again for the help.

Carey

I don’t think the rim bend is/was due to the quality of the '07 KH drilled rim, but rather the fact that I found that the spokes were waaaaaay too loose! Just FYI, my '05 rim, which is the most current '05 rim available, also is out of round from use, although I have not done the same height drops on that Muni as I have on my '07.

I had the wheel trued in Moab, but remember that I thought the spokes were not tensioned enough, but I didn’t realize that fact until much later. I should have had them tightened but it slipped my mind! I just dropped my MUni off at the LBS and the tech said he thinks he can true/dish the rim with no problem.

He said there is some slight “flaring”, which he can also fix. And I requested that he tension the spokes as tight as practicable.

dude, the new rims are stronger according to KH and ryan atkins. because they are wider there is more metal, thus increasing lateral strength and stability.

ie. the new rims are stronger.

Lateral, side to side, twisting. Not drops really.

Any rim is going to flat spot if you don’t have enough tire pressure.

yeah, but tight spokes increase the vertical strength

+1

Two words:

Trials Uni

Or if the spokes aren’t tight enough!

Two more words: No thanks.:smiley: No seriously, I prefer my KH muni for all riding. It’s just more fun and I can ride faster, farther. Plus when I ride the way smaller 19" trials, It just feels “clown-like”! :wink:

No offense to the trials/street riders…it’s just that I’m not used to such a small uni after riding my MUni for so long.:smiley:

I realize that a lot of the stuff that I’ve done on my MUni would be easier also on a trials, but to me I like the fact that I have to work a little harder to do the same stuff on a MUni! It feels like more of an accomplishment! :slight_smile:

Ya know, if you don’t ride it you could just send it my way;)

But seriously, why buy it if you’re not even gonna ride it?

I just like the way it looks! No seriously, I will definitely start riding it because I want to move to the next phase in my uni-education/development: Unispins, Flip tricks, ww, gliding, wraps, stand-up ww, etc. I know that my KH trials would be the best choice for that stuff. :sunglasses:

I find also, for me I’m less affraid of having a bad upd. I can ride my 20 w/ 127’s almost as fast as my 24 w/ 170’s. Since it’s harder to roll over stuff I can challenge myself more w/ that, also w/o that fear.

I’m no expert here, so maybe what you say here is correct. But my understanding is that if the spokes are as tight as, say, Mornish said above, the wheel will become rigid–and that’s the last thing it should be. The beauty of a spoked wheel is its semi-rigid status. It’s like an airplane wing–if it can’t flex, it will break. If the spokes are too tight, the wheel is actually more likely to break. Or so say the wrenches at my LBS, anyway.

Terry, do you rotate your cranks regularly to try to minimize the number of impacts in the same spot on your rim? I do this every other month or so, but I don’t do the big drops you do. It’s more for tire tread issues for me.

Yeah good point about rotating the cranks…yes I do that maybe once every two weeks or so. And the tech at my LBS tells me that each individual rim “tells” you just how much tension the wheel will allow, which makes sense to me. He said that he managed to get the “hump” out of the rim and that it will be ready tomorrow to pick up! So it looks like there’s still some life left in that rim. :smiley:

The wrenches at your LBS don’t know what they’re talking about. A spoked wheel is a pre-stressed structure, and its strength is directly related to the amount of tension in the wheel.