Is MUNi damaging to the environment?

Is MUNi damaging to the environment?

To paraphrase a well-worn cliché:

MUnis don’t damage the environment. People damage the environment.

As many have already noted, there are lots of other ways to damage the environment a lot more and/or quicker than with a MUni.

If you have a conscience about it, just be gentle.

If you don’t have a conscience about it, just be gentle anyway.
People who decide things like who may or may not use government-regulated environment look favorably on gentle use.

Jumping on stumps:
I’m just guessing here, since I don’t MUni, but I used to backpack a lot…

A natural, deadfall stump probably doesn’t lend itself well to being jumped upon with a MUni, right?
That kind of stump is usually hollow and pretty rotten.
Jump onto that kind of stump, and you’re pretty much stuck in the middle… at least in the East…
I guess the Western woods are a bit dryer… except for the Pacific Northwest.

Stumps of trees that have been cut down with chainsaws… now, that’s the kind of stump you MUniers are jumping on, right?
Hey, the environmental damage has been done.
The tree is dead and long gone.
Where’s the harm in jumping on a piece of dead wood?

O.T.

The original cliché should be:

“Guns don’t kill people. Bullets kill people.”

I favor Bullet-Control.

Rick

Hey wait a second. Where do you think that wooden park bench came from? :slight_smile:

If the “one” environment represents the entire planetary ecosystem, I’m not going to worry about the impact of a few thousand of us MUni riders.

But since we’re talking more about individual trails or wilderness areas, it is a somewhat different approach there, too. Trees grow back (or else no wooden park benches). Plastic park benches are probably a lot worse for the environment. The trail is “replaceable,” as even is that wooded area if one is willing to wait long enough.

But once there, we want it to stay in a nice condition so it can be enjoyed by many people for many years. Everyone plays a part in this. Treat the areas with respect, with the assumption that you’d like your kids to ride there someday and for it to look just as good for them.

I’m very sure the damage is neglagible. I mean, arn’t we a part of the environment, too? The moss breaks down logs, too, we just do it a lot faster!

I feel worse about paved roads, suv’s, cities, or overcrowding then I do about helping a log break down, or dislodging a very small amout of dirt.