Is it necessary...

…to be proficient at all with metalworking to take on Unicycling as a hobby?

I have never been, nor do I pretend to be, a knowledgeable person about any type of building or constructing. It was just never my thing.

I just want to know, will this ignorance in the field of do-it-yourself-ness hamper my ability to enjoy myself in Uni’ing?

no you do not, just ask the seller :stuck_out_tongue:

Necesary? Necesary? Is it necesary that i drink my own urine? No but i do it anyways because its sterile and I like the taste. (Quote from Dodgeball)

Nah i don’t think it is, I had no clue what i was getting myself into and it turned out all okay. Plus there is always others around that might know.

KH.

This is off-topic, but rep points for a very well-placed quote that made me laugh.

Nope.
It’s generally convenient if you know how to do some of your own basic maintenance and repairs. If you don’t like doing that sort of stuff you can always take it to a local bike shop and have them do the maintenance or install a new part. So even if you ordered something like a new seat online and didn’t want to install it yourself you can always take it to a bike shop and have them do it. It will cost money, but saves you the bother.

Lots of people take up road biking or mountain biking and have no interest in doing repairs or maintenance themselves. They just take the bike to the bike shop and have them keep it in running order. Nothing really wrong with that.

i’d give rep too, but my own rep is red for some reason…

but on topic:

no, no knowledge of construction or DIY-ism is required, although it is very very helpful at times. I’m glad i was built with the DIY-gene or i wouldn’t ever be able to get my giraffe finished… (it still isnt… i need to put on a small gear to get it around the frame…)

although it couldn’t help to read up a bit on how to do your own conversions, repairs and such. It saves you (and sometimes loses me :P) some money here and there.
Who needs a brand new seat cover when you’ve got duct tape, some cloth, a needle, some thread, a shoelace, and your towel? (i’m hoopy frood!)
who needs a real reeder handle when you have a hacksaw, a welder, and an old metal snow pole, and your towel?

seriously. it makes you look at things differently.

I saw someone weld once…thats about the closest I’ve ever been to metalworking. and I’m still a unicyclist!!

It’s only neccessary if you’re a cheapskate like me who can’t stand watching someone else do a shoddy job while on your paid time.

You’re in unicycling for unicycling, not for metalworking. It’s like furniture. Do you need to know woodworking or upholstry to sit on a lazyboy and drink a beer?

[dumbjoke]Yes. yes you do. You need to know EXACTLY how much weight the cupholder can handle, and exactly HOW many bags of chips and bowls of dip you can fit beside you in the chair, if they don’t hold enough, you may need a coffee or card table, as well. AND you need to know the EXACT amount of fluffyness in the pillows and cushions in the chair. If it’s too soft you may experience back aches from hammocking. [/dumbjoke]

well… no you don’t… but it’s nice to…
for me, it’s nessecary. i’m cheap, to an equal or greater state than you, my friend.

I am totally rubbish at stuff like metal work. Although I have changed the cranks on my onza muni I always take the other unicycles to the LBS for them to change. It costs £4 but I consider it money well spent. The LBS lads are great, we always have a mutually satisfying talk about unicycling and bicycling and what’s going on locally regarding trials or mountain cycling.

So no (to answer your question)

Cathy

Answer to your thread topic: ‘Is it necessary…’

YES.

It is necessary to complete the thought for your subject line. Then people know whether or not it rates reading.

As for metalworking, I’m curious as to why you ask. Sure, plenty of people here are enthusiasts who like to make an customize things. But some of those things are later made for others to buy.

1. Buy unicycle.
  2. Ride unicycle.
  3. (Optional) Break unicycle.
  4. Buy another unicycle.
  5. Buy parts & accessories.
  6. (Optional) Buy tools to adjust and upgrade your unicycle(s).
  7. If tools scare you, take 'em to the bike shop.