Is it me?

Well let me start out by saying Hi! I just got a unicycle as a gift from my father, and I am really interested in learning. My only problem is i am 6’5. I have a torker 20 inch.
My main problem is that when I am practicing actually riding the thing by leaning off the wall and pedaling (While trying to keep the wheel under the seat) I cant manage to get the pedals to rotate fast enough to keep the wheel under the seat…Is this because i have to long legs and i need a bigger unicycle, or is it user error?
I appreciate the advice!

While a 20" is on the smaller side for someone your size, it will work fine for you to learn on. Just keep at it. Once your body starts to learn the coordination you will begin to progress faster, and you’ll be cruising around on the thing in no time!

Welcome to the forums from a fellow noob!

I had been riding about 3 days (probably 8 hours in total) when I finally got the hang on riding around without leaning on anything, so don’t worry if things seem impossible at the minute.

As far as your question is conerned… I think plenty of very tall people ride 20", although I’m 6’ and ride a 24. You’ve got the right idea by leaning and then pedalling to keep the seat under you (I once read that unicycling is about keeping the thing under you, not staying on top of it, and it’s true), but maybe you’re leaning a little too much?

At some point you have to lose the wall and just start pedaling out into free space. There will be a learning curve but if you laid down a good foundation by leaning against the wall progress should come fairly easily. I’m at the same point with Idling. I need to lose the trash can I hold onto and just start trying the trick.

Even at your size a 20" should make learning to ride easier. A smaller wheel is easier to maneuver. Play with seat height and tire pressure. If you get stuck at a dead spot, trying increasing tire pressure, if the uni squirts out from under you try dropping the pressure.

Everybody learns differently don’t get discouraged. It takes me a long time to make very little progress but it comes if I practice everyday.

Yes, the sooner the better! Although you should be comfortable with staying upright by just touching your fingertips against the wall as you ride along first. You’ll fall off a lot when you try it unaided, and the first 50 times you’ll only go a few metres and think that everything you’ve learnt so far has gone to waste… But suddenly it clicks and you’re FREE!

:stuck_out_tongue:

That’s my experience anyway, and I think it’s a fairly common one. Don’t be discouraged if it seems impossible.

It’s the ol’ ‘‘tall person excuse’’ That’s the 2nd one this week.:Dyuk yuk

Hopefully you have a long enough seat post.
Small wheels are easier to ride than big wheels, for people of all heights.
Weight is another issue.
Keep it up. You will get it.:slight_smile:

6’5" Learner on a 20"

Welcome ZackP,
I’m going to tell you “The Secret”. This is not a bike! If you think of walking you are better off. No coasting, no leaning, and NO FALLING.
You have to forget the seat and concentrate on pedaling with both feet. Kind of like standing on a wheel and holding both feet in position. Then holding both feet in position, slowly move one step by moving front foot forward while keeping back pressure with the back foot. Concentrate on that wheel being held in position. Because if you try to relax it will fly out in the direction you are not going. “and” new direction will be down. One step forward, (1/2 revolution) stop then one step back. Pogress to two steps forward and then three. Use a wall, or hand rail. Keep one step at a time, don’t get caught up in leaning forward to move, just fingertip it along the wall until you are in control. Slightly standing over the wheel helps, but like everything else you learn it takes that one breakthrough and your out on the street and gone. As for the 20" wheel size, good size to learn on and to ride. I personally have from a 10" wheel up to a 29" and my size effects the ride very little. Good luck, nothing we say is the same as you just doing it!!!

Is it me?

Oh yeah, Yes it’s you.

If your not where you are right now, Your nowhere.

If you’re 6’ 5" and you don’t have a super-extra-long post on your 20", your seat is probably way too low. This makes it harder to learn, and makes your legs quicker to get tired. In the long term it can beat up your knees pretty bad.

To give you an idea, I’m 6’ 0" and am using an uncut 350mm post on a 29" wheel. At the proper height (for learning, not Trials), your knee should be just slightly bent if you put your heel on the pedal when it’s at the bottom. But ride with the balls of your feet on the pedals.

And stick with it! If short people can do it, so can you!

I think Jamey Mossengren is 6’ 5". He’s a professional street performer, level 10 rider and all around excellent unicyclist.
MUni pioneer Brett “Bloodman” Bymaster was 6’ 4"
World Freestyle champion Brett Bernard was also 6’ 4"

Stick with the wall

If you have an lx 20, and smooth pavement along a long wall, just keep working on pedaling smooth. Wear a glove if your hand starts grinding down. Use the wall until you feel like pedaling smoothly away from it.

In my opinion, people who go on to become great at a skill were not often fast learners. Having fun takes time, leave the wall when you are ready.:slight_smile:

I am with FTL on this one. I stuck to the wall until I had the forwards/backwards balance thing mostly figured out then started to push off and add in the side to side.

It took me about 10 hours over 2 weeks to be able to ride 100m

And yah, don’t try to stay on top, keep the wheel under you.

Good luck!

As a side note, I have a friend who started learning on my unicycles. He is 5’3" and was doing much better on my 26 than my 20. I don’t think that height has that much to do with which would be better for learning. By your description I would guess you would benefit from a bigger wheel (full steam ahead learning technique - vs - slow and steady technique) but you might as well just use what you have.

Wow!
Thanks for the advice everyone, I really appreciate it. I have noticed when I mount, the wheel goes practically flat like the metal is practically sitting on the floor. I am assuming its because of my weight (180), would you suggest a bigger wheel or is this normal?

You should just put more air in the tyre. You have to use a higher pressure than on a bike as all your weight is just one wheel.