Is it 4 stairs? or 5?

OK, I have a question here. What do you consider a ‘3-stair’ set? Is the 'last level considered a step? (if you are on step #2, you still have to drop one more section until you are on ground level…but is this really a step?)

a:

…|
…—
…|
…—
…|
…----------

b:

…|
…—
…|
…—
…|
…—
…|
…----------

(spaces never worked, hopefully you can make that last ‘diagram’ out!)

I was able to change the topic, but for some reason the thread title never changed (I discovered that drawing 2 or 3 would be easier than 4 or 5…oh well)

Lets go with letter A, Bob

At least thats what i think tries to count to three on fingers

To me, (a) has 3 steps… If you are at the bottom, you have to step up 3 times to get to the top.

That’s what I was wondering recently, too. Because I think I set a new record for the most stairs I’ve gapped (is that the proper term?), but I don’t know if it’s five or six.

Here’s the clip, if you want it:
http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/leggless
Labelled ‘six stair hop.’

Hey potter i paused it and counted them and it looked like a 5.

Re: Is it 4 stairs? or 5?

“U-Turn” <U-Turn@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com> writes:

> To me, (a) has 3 steps… If you are at the bottom, you have to step up
> 3 times to get to the top.

Makes sense to me: Count the number of risers. That way the empty
staircase gets assigned the number 0.

Mathematically yours,

Ken

That was five, potter. And god, that must’ve hurt! You didn’t crunch down at all. Mabey you should try doing a bigger hop at the beginning, rather than just kinda rolling off. I know when I land anything over a 2 set, I do a large rolling hop in the beginning. Otherwise, you’ll top out at about 6 sets. My biggest was a seven, although I do sixes regularly. I just get afraid of clipping the bottom step. My rim gets angry. Also, at the end of the set, roll out fast, and crunch your torso down. It softens things up. You should get a video fo Dan Heaton or Doerkson doing big sets. They really crunch down at the end, and get big air in the beginning.

Sofa: I think a. would be a three stair.

Yeah, I just paused it and it is five. Darn. But it’s definitely the highest stairset I’ve ever done.

I did do a hop at the beginning another time, but we didn’t get that one on film. Also, it did hurt a little since I didn’t absorb the shock by ‘crunching’ at all. I usually try to, though.

I gotta ask, why not just look at the set in real life, rather than waiting for a vid. I just count the staqirs as I ride up them. RIght now I’m working on airing up a fourset about 8 miles from my house. It’s actually a six set, but I try to rolling hop up four, and then immediately take the seat out during a stillstand and go up the last two. I can go up the whole thing in 4 hops already. One hop for the first three stairs, then 2 hops to take the seat out and set up, then 1 hop to finish it. I want to get it down to a whopping 2 hops. Or mabey 1:D . i don’t think anyone’s ever aired up a full size six set.

I agree with everyone else (oh just how useful is that). Count the
number of risers.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

Clearly a system of 1/14 and 1/16 is not decimal - Mikefule on the English weight system

You morons! How else do you count stars?

Well, moron, how about a telescope?

A turnstile at the Emmys would be cheaper.

My philosophy is this:

1.) Never have witnesses
2.) Multiply the number of stairs by some large integer
3.) Boast endlessly but say, “I’ve already done that; I don’t have to do it again.”
4.) If that doesn’t work, just lie

5.) Always have some aspect that you haven’t quite perfected yet to add some credibility. This is also a great way of masking a boast.

EG:
Personally, when I’m gapping sets of 20 or more stairs, I like to perform a frontflip with a half-twist. I still can’t quite land it one-footed though. Anyone have some advice.

Use the other foot. That’s what works for me.

How many stairs?

How many stares? ;0)

You can’t have a single stair, any more than you can have a single trouser. You have a flight of stairs in the same way as you have a pair of trousers.

A flight of stairs consists of a number of steps.

Each step has a horizontal component (a tread) and a vertical component (a riser).

In one sense, a total of 5 risers would give you a ground level, 4 intervening steps and a landing.

Most people would say that it is 5 steps, because there are 5 risers, and I wouldn’t disagree with that.

Of course, jumping up or down said steps on a unicycle is dangerous and irresponsible and I couldn’t possibly condone it.

(OK, I couldn’t possibly DO it.)

oohhhhh so that’s the secret, im always trying to land it no footed while doing a handstand on the seat.

“Mikefule” <Mikefule@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com> writes:

> You can’t have a single stair, any more than you can have a single
> trouser. You have a flight of stairs in the same way as you have a pair
> of trousers.

All of my dictionaries define stair (singular). The word means one of
the steps in a stairway.

Ken