Is inner city coker commuting possible?

<gritted teeth> Congratulations </gritted teeth>

I hope you realise just how much your post is going to cost me!

What did you go for in the end? One of the nice shiney new Nimbus beasts? if so, I look forward to a review here some time very soon.

STM

Lol, yep i got the Nimbus with the T7 handle, just need to find some grips for the handles and pick up a good set of maguras off ebay. I’ll write a review when i’ve had a chance to get used to it, although I don’t have much to compare it to with relatively little 36" experience.

Before I took up unicycling I used to watch a guy commuting daily in Manchester. Saw him in the evenings. He would ride, on a 20, or possibly a 24 for at least a couple of miles. He would ride in the dark without lights, he would ride along the A6, a MAJOR very busy arterial road feeding into Manchester. I would think “Crazy idiot”, or “Stupid lunatic”

Then suddenly I stopped seeing him, and have never seen him since!!

I don’t know who he was. Was it any of you? His route would include Dialstone Lane and the A6 past Stockport College. Was he injured, or did he just stop commuting by uni? I don’t know, but occasionally I do worry what happened to him.

Commuting by unicycle in a city is never going to feature on my CV.

Nao

My guess would be that he either gave up on the idea of commuting on a 20" and retired, or upgraded to a more suitable wheel size which would have probably changed his route. I know that as I’ve progressed with commuting my route has changed a lot. on a 20" I used to ride a shorter route that was the same as I would have taken if I was walking. On a 29er, however, I stick more to the bigger roads with priority through junctions even though they may be a longer route. The advantage of going faster and not having to stop on a larger wheel far outweighs a shorter route where you need to cross roads and dodge pedestrians.

And unicycle commuting certainly features on my CV, along side completing the Rubiks Cube in under 2 minutes. Neither of which seem common for my line of work (IT Manger), but it does make people stop and look again at your CV, which can only be a good thnig!

STM

I have mountain unicycling listed on my CV. It’s really useful in interviews, because it means you can guarantee at least one really easy question in the interview, and they’re certainly going to remember who you are.

Joe

Welcome to Coker-Commuterdom David.

You will certainly have to develop, if you haven’t already, very thick skin, especially if you are on the road at secondary school chucking out time. I haven’t decided yet whether it is howls of mirth or derision that I am repeatedly barraged with on my daily commute through Solihull.

Just one piece of advice - have a flashing red led about your person at all times, night and day; I have found that nearly all passes from vehicles are at a much wider distance than without and it is easier for you to take command of a slow moving traffic lane.

Just one more piece of advice - have a ready stock of quips to the inevitable comments. Yesterday a passenger in a Nissan Micra passed shouted at me to “Get a proper bike”, to which the correct ripost would have been “Get a proper car”, but unfortunately I wasn’t quick enough.

Stay safe
Chris

He was already riding on big straight roads, which would have suited a Coker or 29er. So I don’t think he would have route changed. He looked to be young twenties, so would not have had to retire on an age basis. He might have invested in more wheels, but a regular commute of at least two miles would suggest he was a keen rider. I hope he merely stopped commuting rather than any of the more gruesome alternatives. It was probably 6 or 7 years ago now.

Rubik’s cubes and IT: I would have thought they went very well together. Certainly one of my IT friends has a very large collection of these manipulative puzzles…200 plus different ones I think he said at the last count. Dunno whether he can do the bogh standard 333 in under two minutes though. He certainly has a fair few he hasn’t managed to do yet. Seen quite a few jugglers with them as well. Are they undergoing a revival?

Nao

Good idea Joe…but if interviewing I shall now make a firm point of NOT mentioning unicycling, or any other obscure hobbies listed in the CV, from now on. Bang goes the easy question.:stuck_out_tongue:

Nao

I have unicycling listed on my CV. The point for me is that it helps ME to remember who I am (I get very nervous at interviews).

And Nao, I always consider that the job of the interviewer is to make the interviewee feel as comfortable as possible so that they can give as good and accurate an account of themselves as possible under the stressful circumstances of an interview. Is this not the case in your line of work?

Thanks, but this is Oxford, I used to regularly ride through the town centre on a 5 foot giraffe, and bought chips from a kebab van without dismounting, and no-one batted an eyelid. Also i’ve been (attempting to) ride trials in the middle of towns for years, I’ve heard it all.

My commute route is such that i very rarely get overtaken by anything, I am going to stick my bike lights on it though, as i have to ride home in the dark.

Incidently mountain unicycling is on my CV.

Purely because it was fun, there’s nothing like riding around a town centre at midnight on giraffe. I can’t freemount either but there are walls everywhere and oxford city council bins are exactly the right height to climb on to mount and ususally placed next to lamposts. You’re right though, there are a lot of cobbles, broken roads and dogey pavements, it takes a fair bit of concentration.

I go through 4 lights to do a 2 and a half mile run into town. Close to city in traffic. 2 lights are staggered.

I’m starting to be cheeky and i hold on cars till they go off. But doesn’t work well with my shorter 125 cranks.

would need 150’s.

Damien

:astonished: Kebab vans in places other than Oxford sell battered eyelids ?? :astonished:

As I am sure you realise Cath, my reply was not meant to be taken too seriously. Hence the :stuck_out_tongue::stuck_out_tongue:

Nao

No, eyelids for human consumption can be found in any town at the sign of the large golden ‘M’ :slight_smile:

Y’all are brave

I can only read these posts with admiration. I tried to get a bit farther beyond my neighborhood this morning and had a tough time with cars and trucks whizzing close by. The roads in Durham where I live have poor shoulders with ragged drop-offs or crumbling edges of pavement, so I don’t like to ride so close to the edge. Also, I’m not in town but am at the outskirts - all the roads here have speed limits of 45 mph.

How do you do it? Do you just ride despite the traffic? Is it a matter of technique or attitude?

I’m on a 29er now but am building a 36er and need some encouragement.

I’ve been riding a coker for 6 months now and I certainly don’t ride on busy roads. I didn’t ride on busy roads on my bike and I don’t do it on my uni. I stick to quiet roads, cycle paths and pavements.

It arrived this morning, i took it for a spin round the block, riding in traffic isn’t too bad but it is damn difficult to control, going to take some time before im confident riding to the department, especially as I can’t balance for long enough to wait for the lights yet. Took me a while to get the freemount until i realised I have to hold the KH handle, not the touring handle, else i land on the front of the saddle instead of the middle. Incidentally because of the handle the standard freemount is almost impossible, it has to be the rolling mount. Anyway this thing is terrific, just going to take some time before I get the full hang of it.

I find it’s mainly about attitude. I ride a 29er 8 miles through Central London on a daily basis, so come across my fair share of excuses to jump off.

The secret that I have found is an MP3 player which has a combination of Green Day, The Beastie Boys and The Grates, and your attitude as a small vunerable delicate road user can be transformed.

A perfect example can be found with my ride in on Wednesday when I was riding inside some stationary traffic approaching some red lights. When they turned to green the scrap metal lorry at the front wanted to turn left. However, there were road signs saying that the junction was strait on only. So, knowing my right of way, I was banging on the side of the truck and vocalising quite well about his parents in order to make him stop. To look back and think about things in perspective, I should have really stopped and waited for him to finish his illegal move before I cointinuted. But, with the right attitude, I won!

STM - wondering if he’ll win the next time though…

Yup, this is going to cost me, I can tell…

STM