Is 24" a dead Muni size?

Not as long as Duro produces the Wildlife/Razorback. (Or Point/Halo produce their Duro copies)

Between the Duro and the BernMaster, we’ve got two interesting ones, no? Ok, the gazz has disappeared - but I’ve never tried one, so I don’t even know if it was that amazing.

I still have a relatively “new” 24x3 Gazz and yes, it’s amazing. Best 24" MUni tire I’ve ever used because of it’s very square profile. The Duro is not bad (I have that as well) but not my favorite. The BermMaster (24x3) is probably my favorite all around tire as it was a good compromise between road/trail riding; something I cherished while I still owned a KH-Schlumpf MUni Hub and rode both terrains equally. Nowadays I go between the Gazz and Hookworm as I’ve sold the geared hub. I sure hope there will continue to be 24" tire choices in the future as I’ve really grown to like this uni size for all around riding including MUni, light trials, road riding, etc… Very versatile for a light weight, 5’8" guy like me. I have the parts to build up a KH26 but that just won’t be the same.

I had a Gazzalodi way back when, but found it to have too much of a square and tall profile, which made it harder to turn. Some people liked them but I much preferred a rounder tire like the Intense, which I still use. And it never seems to wear out!

For the same reasons as others above, I really dig my 24. My solution to forecast reduction or demise of 24" tyres has been to buy them now and put 'em in the dark. This way, I have 'em on hand in the future. Whatever way the tyre market chooses to go, likely with higher prices, I’m covered.

Its a bit like the common shoe situation we often find ourselves in: “Wish I’d bought several pairs of that model before they deleted them!”

I was extremely happy with the Duro on my 26. I’d actually say it’s my favorite tire to date, maybe I’m weird.

Anyways, you guys have made up my mind, think I need one, just want to find what I’m looking for.

Thanks.

not a fan of the Duro sorry… SOOOO HEAVY!

My previous KH24 have onza cranks. some silly spline near impossible to find shorter cranks. 165 i think they were…

Im thinking if i travel and wanting to take a Uni (Mainland Aust Next year and China the following year)

… Im thinking 24" Guni?! Perfect size to pack into luggage or carry on a sling on my back.
Geared up is about a 36er for memory so thats nice to scoot around. Havent thought of a tyre choice yet
Probably could make the uni pretty light considering the hub weight. Light rim, tyre, tubeless, spirits ect. Brakeless. I like building different unis.

24 wont die, its limited though. I would imagine not many riders would only just ride 24" unless they are crazy Downhill full face pilots!
Hat off to those guys

I used to ride 24" Munis. Used the gazz which was great when you pointed it straight downhill but didn’t like camber too much (square profile perhaps?), and the Duro which seemed to be a better all rounder. Ended up going geared on it which made it a really versatile ride but ended up having to go down to 125mm cranks to get the speed out of it that I wanted.

Both my Muni’s are now 26" with 2.4/5 tyres. I have a DH specific rig with 150s and a slightly chunkier tyre (the standard on with the QX series muni- can’t remember the name at the moment) and my XC/endurance geared Muni has the 2.4 ardent with 137 spirits. Both of them have disc brakes so having larger wheels means you get all the benefits of a larger wheel rolling over stuff, with none of the drawbacks of having to manage the effective larger gear in steep techy stuff.

Having a light set up and a good brake means that there is no reason to go 24" anymore. I can see the size sticking around for kids Muni’s where inseam is an issue but for a normal sized adult I don’t see them surviving for long.

I wonder if any of the main uni manufacturers are going to get on board with the 27.5/650b trend?

Qu-Ax already dit.

You can add brakes and gearing to a Muni, but you’re basically turning it into a MTB. Personally, I think that misses the point of riding hardcore Muni in the first place. Some of us like the challenge of not having those kinds of aids. I guess you could even say that a basic Muni has some aids (like cranks) which an impossible wheel does not. The point of having a 24" is riding with as few aids as possible.

May also depend on your height and weight. Being relatively short (5’ 8") and light (145lbs) I can definitely say my riding experience between 24 vs 26 is vastly different. Granted I’m more used to 24" MUni from many years experience (over 7) but with the terrain I typically ride and activities I enjoy on the way (light natural trials, skinnies, etc…) the 24 is way more practical and easy to handle. Also significantly lighter… As much as I’ve tried, from using a 26er in my early days (pre 24er) and more recently, the ride experience just isn’t the same. That being said, I also have a Nimbus 26 (w/ 26x4 Nate) and this thing rocks! But it’s a far different experience and serves different purpose for me. I sure hope 24s don’t die off! I’ll have to start hording tires then!

I hope not. I’m building a 24 Street Uni for fun and easy travel on commercial airplanes. I wish I could find a Hookworm 24x2.5

There’s one on Ebay now for $90. Also a 24x2.6 Gazz Muni tire for $40.

Here are a few more 24x3 tires (not Muni):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BICYCLE-TIRE-24-X-3-0-ALL-BLACK-SLICK-BEACH-CRUISER-CHOPPER-LOWRIDER-BMX-MTB-/390352359462?pt=US_Tires&hash=item5ae2d05026
http://www.ebay.com/itm/KENDA-FLAME-TIRE-24-X-3-0-Plus-FREE-Tube-w-Each-Tire-Purchase/201155160748?_trksid=p2047675.c100009.m1982&_trkparms=aid%3D777000%26algo%3DABA.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D27538%26meid%3D9b66c0a182fa4fe98c4a3322f721e859%26pid%3D100009%26prg%3D11353%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D4%26
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dyno-Fireball-24-x-3-Tires-and-Tubes-/261644976794?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3ceb41829a

There were plenty more 24x3 street tires… let me know if you’re looking for something in particular and I’ll keep a lookout, and can post here or PM you.

Look for a CST Cyclops 24x2.4. In practical terms it is the same tire as the Hookworm. I have had both tires in my shop at the same time, and they are much more similar than they are different. On the plus side it is only $20 shipped!

No no no, 24 is not dead! I love my 24" MUni.

Here are some tires found on CRC:

Halo Ception 24"x2.6"
Halo Ception 24"x3.0"

The Halo is identical to the Duro. There’s also a version from Point.

The size still has relevance for a small group of users, but the tires and rims are very limited and are not likely to improve, so in essence it is dead.

The death knell probably came as the 29" and then the 27.5" wheels came on line, which led to the 26" being considered “small”. In the eyes of the biking industry, a 24" is a kid’s sized wheel or an adult BMX/trials.

It’s a shame, the 24" wheel size has value, it would make a great fat bike/fun wheel size, as well as filling a niche with unicyclists, but it’s not gonna get better…

It doesn’t have to “get better.” It’s a fine wheel size for technical, rocky MUni. Better than any other wheel size for that kind of riding. There isn’t a huge selection of rims and tires, but who cares? You can only ride one at a time.

Most people’s local MUni terrain isn’t super-technical and rocky, which means 26" or larger is better for most people. But where the terrain warrants it, riders will continue to gravitate towards 24" wheels.

24" is a great size if your not tall like me, like to do techy MUni as well as do rolling or natural trials. It’s a good unicycle size for a bunch of different activities; something (at least for me) the 26 (or bigger) isn’t nearly as versatile. Not sure what will happen down the road but for now my Maxxis Hookworm 24x2.5 still has a lot of life left as well as does the Nokian 24x3 Gazz and Duro 24x3. So I’ll be okay for quite a while. After that? Who knows what the future holds with respect to wheel/tire sizes? I’d hate to think that everything is going to get bigger and bigger and bigger?

I thought everyone who rode 24 Muni was already a hoarder. :slight_smile:

I’d grab another Duro, but I think I have too many now.