Is 24" a dead Muni size?

The Halo is identical to the Duro. There’s also a version from Point.

The size still has relevance for a small group of users, but the tires and rims are very limited and are not likely to improve, so in essence it is dead.

The death knell probably came as the 29" and then the 27.5" wheels came on line, which led to the 26" being considered “small”. In the eyes of the biking industry, a 24" is a kid’s sized wheel or an adult BMX/trials.

It’s a shame, the 24" wheel size has value, it would make a great fat bike/fun wheel size, as well as filling a niche with unicyclists, but it’s not gonna get better…

It doesn’t have to “get better.” It’s a fine wheel size for technical, rocky MUni. Better than any other wheel size for that kind of riding. There isn’t a huge selection of rims and tires, but who cares? You can only ride one at a time.

Most people’s local MUni terrain isn’t super-technical and rocky, which means 26" or larger is better for most people. But where the terrain warrants it, riders will continue to gravitate towards 24" wheels.

24" is a great size if your not tall like me, like to do techy MUni as well as do rolling or natural trials. It’s a good unicycle size for a bunch of different activities; something (at least for me) the 26 (or bigger) isn’t nearly as versatile. Not sure what will happen down the road but for now my Maxxis Hookworm 24x2.5 still has a lot of life left as well as does the Nokian 24x3 Gazz and Duro 24x3. So I’ll be okay for quite a while. After that? Who knows what the future holds with respect to wheel/tire sizes? I’d hate to think that everything is going to get bigger and bigger and bigger?

I thought everyone who rode 24 Muni was already a hoarder. :slight_smile:

I’d grab another Duro, but I think I have too many now.

24" had a brief moment of favor for the rear wheel on downhill racing bikes, and trials bikes, which made it worthwhile for the tire manufacturers to make world class 24" tires. Those days are gone, and now 24" is a BMX and kid’s bike size, like Nurse Ben says, and you aren’t going to see serious DH-type tires for those bikes.

Nothing ever dies completely, so I’m sure it will continue on as a niche for the holdouts and purists and retrogrouches, but that’s about the most you can hope for, barring a renaissance in the 24" bike world for it to piggyback on once again.

…i think you might only have enough to last you until you’re 90…by then everybody’ll live til 120 so…, better hoard some more!:D:D

Maybe keep building. Your tyre stock l :sunglasses: :sunglasses: ks like a future wholesale enterprise to me…:wink:

Secret’s out…
Zombies now know who’s house to raid:D:D

I agree it’s unlikely to be a major player in the bike world any time soon. But as long as you can get the Duro/Contra, why does it matter? The vast majority of bike tires aren’t good for MUni anyway, because they’re built for machines with suspension, which we don’t have.

Ummm, you do know that tires don’t age well, right?

Often the rubber and bead will start to separate internally as the rubber dries out, which is why buying a NOS Gazz is not a good idea since they are now quite old.

The Duro/Arrow is an okay tire, it’s certainly better than nothing, but it’s twice as heavy as a comparable 26" tire, it’s really not great for tubeless, and really the tread and rubber are quite dated.

It’s expensive to build molds for tires…

Hum? It’s fantastic with tubeless! Could not even work better. Because in contrast to all other tires it envelopes the rim edge nearly like a snap fit.

left: Duro …right: regular tire

Setting up my Duro tubeless was totally simple and it was airtight at the first attempt. Since then I’ve had no problems at all and it has run about 500km of Muni since then which included a 2,5 hour Race with constant rain and really deep mud that swapped over the rim. It drives way better than with the original tube and I don’t have to pump it up more often than any other tire with a tube.

I’ve been using NOS tires for quite a while now (probably at least 5 years) and have not experienced any issues whatsoever. The NOS tires I have remaining are not dried out and feel/look the same as when I bought them. They live in climate-controlled storage (not going to say where – too many hungry eyes here :slight_smile:

I don’t know why you are so against 24" tires; it’s like every post you make about them disparages them in some way. A lot of people like myself will continue to use them as they provide a unique riding experience.

There are still bike shops and individuals unloading NOS Gazz and other 24" tires and they will be around for quite some time to come, in addition to the Duro tire being sold.

I was talking to a bike distributor a few years back who said they had a large pallet of Gazz tires in Europe and I was negotiating to bring them state-side, but he felt it’d be way too expensive to ship, and besides he could not sell them to a retail customer. Those tires and others like them are out there, sitting in peoples’ closets or in the back room of a bike store, ready to be sold.

It’s like when they ended Freon/R-12 production (AC refrigerant). Even though production stopped, and you could not go to your local auto store to buy it, you can still find some for sale.

At one point, I almost sold my 24. Now it is one of the most frequently used munis in the collection. The tipping point for me was when http://www.thewheelmill.com/ a local indoor bike (and uni) park opened. I tried everything from a 20 to a 36 in there and came to the conclusion that the 24 is the best overall. Several others in our group also agree.

As far as problems with NOS tires go, I unfortunately have 2 Gazzaloddis that are junk. They look brand new, but won’t stay on rims. I got a few rides out of one. It was excellent- while it lasted. It then blew off the bead. The other did it from the start. Fortunately, they were gifts so I’m not out any money, but I am disappointed that they’re toast. The top tire choice for me in a 24 (since the Gazz is not an option) is the Intense 3.0. It is definitely bigger than the Duro. There still maybe some Intense tires available. Check with Jamey (organizer of this year’s CA Muni Weekend).

If the selection just drops to a Duro, I’ll deal with it. It’s still a decent tire for tech muni.

Shameless plug: If you are in the Pittsburgh, PA area you need to check out The Wheel Mill. We keep a couple of 24s there that people can borrow for free with a paid admission to the park. Here’s a video of one of our sessions: http://vimeo.com/88690016

Sorry Ben, but I have to disagree. My Duro is/was the best tubeless tire I’ve had to date on a D2 rim. That thing was glued to the bead hook like something else.

I’m also a fan of the Duro. Probably one of my favorite tires believe it or not. That’s why tire selection for me personally is a moot point. As long as the Duro (or a copy) is available, I’m happy.

However, I’d be a bit hesitant to use a NOS tire even though I have a spare orange Floater in my closet :D.

Is it needed to do some additional preparations to run Duro tubeless on 24" KH freeride rim?

Not really. Leave the original rim strip on it and use a 18" tube, slit it, clean it and then put the tire back on, put the milk in, pump it up, shake it, shake it, ride it on flat pavement and when its perfectly airtight, cut the edges. See my conversion here. I’d not take it on muni trail directly after the conversion … wait one or two days

When I got back into unicycling all I had was my old Sem 24. Then I got a 29 for muni. Didn’t like it. Too big. Then I picked up an Oracle24 for a good price and slapped some 137mm cranks on it. Rode that for over a year. Great combo.

Last time I rode muni it was with friends: One 29 and two Oregons. I felt like my 24 was a bit small. Every root took some effort, and I got the feeling I could use a bit larger wheel.

If I could do it again, I might get a 26 instead of the 24. And my next uni might be an Oregon. That said, I love the 24/Duro combo for short urban rides, where I like to jump curbs, rolling hops jumps off of steps etc. So I’ll definitely keep my 24 around.

Awesome. Thank you so much! :slight_smile:

I’m still riding a 24", but part of that is the age… It started off as a Nimbus II muni, which was uphraded to a KH/Onza hub in 2004 or 2005… Granted, everything on there has been changed now except the rim. I might go to a 26 when that hub/cranks break, or I can’t find new Duros :wink:

Only complaint about the duro is that wet rocks are like ice to it :frowning:

And I want a fat tire uni for winter :smiley: