Irony

Two days ago, I was happily practicing seat-out hopping, up onto the retaining wall in my backyard. I have been adding wooden planks to it to make it taller. I added another plank to make it 23 inches tall. On my first try I made it!
I wanted to do it another time to make sure it wasn’t a fluke…I jumped…My tire caught the edge…I slipped and fell backwards ramming my right index finger into the ground…
The next day I got it X-rayed. Turnes out I refractured it the same place I did about a year and a half ago.
It’s supposed to take about 2 weeks to recover.

While I am still here, could anybody give me some tips on jumping seat out. My goal (once my finger gets better) is to be able hop 2 ft (on to something) every time. Mabye kris Holm or Ryan Atkins or anybody else who could hop could give me some tips. It would be a big help:)

-Sabin

-I always pre-hop-

Does anyone feel my pain?..Because I sure do.

By the way, it took me 20 minutes to write this...Just kidding.:p

-Sabin

For me a 2 foot hop isnt any different than a 20" one really. You should just keep praticing and your form will get better. And you will get more consistant. I dont think there is any key move that makes it easy to jump 2 feet high. It just takes pratice.

Chex

chex said it, practice! but i have a question for you. when you do seat out, do you have to bend over more to get a grip on the seat? i can’t stand up on the pedals and grab the seat comfortably seat-out style, i have to lean over. should i raise it?

Yes, I feel your pain only because I saw you yesterday with that big honking splint on your finger. However, if you had your crash on video and then posted it in the gallery we could all share in your pain over and over and over and over and over again.

Just be happy you’re not posting your story in this thread “Broken Bones”

To: zach,

I hop to the left, left pedal in back using my right hand to hold the seat.  Alot of people hold the part of the seat where it goes in the most. However, I don't do that. I hold the seat on the back right edge so it is easier to hold the seat away from your body when you are in the air. Suck up you're knees and try to lean a little bit forward in the air, while bringing the wheel under you. I do this because, when you bring the wheel up when you hop there is all that empty space between the wheel and you're butt. So crouch low at the height of the jump. It's sort of hard to explain. Sorry got off the subject. :roll_eyes:  If anything, lower your seat. My seat is as low as it goes. By lowering it, it also helps with jumping.   

P.S. you can see me do a 360 if you look up "Universe" in the gallary, then you will see my name. By the way, if you see it I was about 2 years younger there than I am now. And I'm better now.

By the way, can you jump 2 ft?

-Sabin

On Wed, 8 Oct 2003 19:55:45 -0500, sabin_a. <sabin_a.v0bqe@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:

>By the way, it took me 20 minutes to write this…Just
>kidding.:stuck_out_tongue:

While you can’t ride (or can you?), you should figure out a story that you can type with only the left hand. Possibly about stewardesses, which allegedly is the longest word in English typed with only the left hand (in the usual 10-finger system that is).

Klaas Bil

whoah, klaas, i think that was like the epitome of useless trivia. :slight_smile:

sabin, my highest documented hop is 20 inches with the seat under. the video clip is in my gallery under “hopping practice”.

i asked that question because watching ryan atkins’ clips, he stands upright and holds the seat in the back, whereas i have to lean over considerably to get a grip. i used to have my seat way too low, but practice is really what has made me jump higher. also, i’m 6’2", so if anyone can tell me how high my unicycle should be, that might help. i just can’t jump well with the seat out beause i have to lean over to grab the seat well. though, for seat under hops i can grab the handle in front fine.

Sorry zach,I didn’t quite know what you were saying.

My back is straight when I hop seat out. I have my seat adjusted so it is a little bit below the waist when I am standing straight seat-out. Of course I'm only 5'5" and 14 years old...Sad, isn't it? :p

-Sabin

okay, i’m going to mess around with the seat height. but meanwhile, 14?? sorry i didn’t notice that before, but that’s crazy because you sound really good from what i’ve heard. way better then me what with 360’s and two foot hops. then again, i’m sure even this little girl could schoolmaster me at unicycling:

On an earlier post I said I adjusted the seat alittle bit below the waist. Never mind that. I have my seat a little bit below the crotch of my pants, so I have more leverage to pull up to get a higher jump.

-Sabin

Is that with one leg fully extended and the cranks vertical? (If not, then what?)

Thanks,
.duaner.

Yes, how rude of you to be only 14! Please come back when you’re in your thirties.

:slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

In other words, you don’t get to pick your height or age. You can like it, or not like it, but you’re stuck with it either way. Liking it is more fun. Use it while you’ve got it! That refers to time, youth, and youthful energy!

Sorry, no tips to offer on seat-out hopping, which I have no particular skill at. Watch videos of the best riders, I guess. And try to land on something other than that one finger next time!

To duaner.:

My seat is adjusted a little bit below the crotch of my pants when I am standing straight up. With seat-out with the cranks horizontal. (hopping position)

-Sabin

Re: Irony

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 12:11:10 -0500, johnfoss
<johnfoss.v3fjj@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:

>In other words, you don’t get to pick your height or age. You can like
>it, or not like it, but you’re stuck with it either way.

Not for me. I once was 14 and 5’5" too. Through years of hard work I
managed to become 50 and 6’1". So keep trying sabin_a, it IS possible!
:slight_smile:

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

If the crank is moving then it really sounds as if it’s loose. - onewheeldave trying to pinpoint the cause of a clicking crank

You all are too tall. When I was 14 I was a little less than 5’ tall. And now I’m twenty and 5’8". And I probably won’t grow anymore. From now on I just have to lift weights to become as wide as I can. Eating to get wide is the other option but I probably won’t do that.