Invention of the Future Contest

We all have hopes and dreams for the direction of unicycling. Many of us hide these dreams in the support of our fellow riders or by adding to these forums; a constantly updated wealth of knowledge about unicycling. This community has been blessed with many talented individuals who have the ability and talent to create products that allow us to push the envelope of our limitations. I would like to start this thread out with some inventions or innovations I would like to see that impact everyone in the community, or even a select group of riders. Kris has been a great asset to our community and has already given birth to one of my dreams, the Pulse wrist support glove(s). I would like to see the word unicycling added to Microsoft’s list of words. I get tired of “adding” it on every computer I type a document about unicycling on. I would like to see geared unicycles become more readily available without the backlash currently associated with them. I would like to see more options in the areas of personalization in unicycles. We’ve already been blessed with people like Darren, George Barnes, Scott Wallis, and an ongoing and constantly updating list of supporters. What are your hopes or aspirations for the future of unicycling?

• I think more brands would raise competition, lower prices and creating new idaea (such as the aluminum KH and Onza Frames).
  • More riders and better media coverage- most important
  • Parts that are more redibly availible, along with more "custom" type parts/unicycles without a "custom price
  • Cheaper geared unis
  • more/better pros

Above all else, I want to see that unicycling doesn’t reach the point where the world’s best riders don’t have the time or rather inclination to give advice to beginners, and others less skilled than they are. That’s one of the things I love most about this ‘community’. Not an invention for the future, sorry.

Andrew

An invention in direction for the future of unicycling, very acceptable.

in·ven·tion ( P ) Pronunciation Key (n-vnshn)
n.
The act or process of inventing: used a technique of her own invention.
A new device, method, or process developed from study and experimentation: the phonograph, an invention attributed to Thomas Edison.
A mental fabrication, especially a falsehood.
Skill in inventing; inventiveness: “the invention and sweep of the staging” (John Simon).
Music. A short composition developing a single theme contrapuntally.
A discovery; a finding.

Future

I’d love to see industries created in this sport. Where companies would have sponsorships with their team. Sounds a lot like skateboarding? If you take a skateboarder and find out how long it took to actually do something, unicycling is right there as well. So why are so many people skating, instead of riding? Beginning… We should get a word out there on how easy it is, somehow. The more riders the more demand for unicycles. It would really boost the production of this sport. And i’m pretty sure bedford and unicycle.com would love the profit increase. That’s my word.

-Shaun Johanneson

I’d like to see splined cranks and hubs become the norm. I remember when cottered cranks is all you could get; we’re moving in the right direction.
It would be nice if Torker started selling their DX hub independently from their unicycle; that way, more people could afford splined parts.

1: Standard quick-release bearing caps. Come on guys, this one should be easy.

2: MUni shoes. Stiff sole, hiking boot rubber, reinforced toe, very light tread pattern to allow foot adjustments, smooth inner heel piece to not catch the crank. Some mountain bike shoes come close, but they usually have too much tread and a tread cut-out for SPDs that don’t work for use on metal pinned pedals.

Shock absorber cranks to save your knees while doing big drops.

I keep thinking about this. Kris is a great guy, it seems to me from reading his posts and watching his movies. He’s the top of our sport, or close, but he still does workshops for people, etc.

I have tomsey on AIM. He’s up there too, but hey, I have him on AIM! i could talk to him if I wanted to. I wonder how many people have tony hawk or chad muska on their instant messanger. I doubt it’s very many, and if it is, they’re sure not mediocre skaters from some random other country.

That’s what I like about unicycling. It’s so new that we haven’t really found limits yet, our pros aren’t all rich and arrogant or anything. They’re still people who post here, or don’t. They’re still PEOPLE in the eyes of all the other unicyclists.

Re: Future

Three main reasons I can think of:

1. Perception of easiness. Anyone can get on a skateboard and go within minutes. Everybody knows this, so there is little hesitation on the part of parents deciding to buy one for the kids. This is also connected to…

2. They’re cheaper than unicycles.

3. Also, they’re a lot smaller, so you can bring them with you in the classroom (if allowed), on the bus, in your luggage, etc.

4. Lastly, there is an image thing associated with skateboarding, and some riders are probably in it more for that than the actual riding.

5. Last but not least, no barrier to entry. This ties back to #1. You don’t have to dedicate yourself and “try really hard” to be able to roll down the driveway on one.

But…

Skateboards are mostly for kids. There are very few people using skateboards outside the age range of about 10 to 25. Unicycling has a much wider audience, I think. To be honest though, as unicycling gets more mainstream, I think it will be mostly with that general age group as well.

Inventions:

I like both of Tom Holub’s ideas. Here are some of my own:

• Better bearings. Unlike most machines or vehicles, unicycles put a tremendous amount of twisting force through the bearings. The bearings on unicycles, as far as I know, are not built to be used in unicycles, and are probably weak in the side-to-side twisting direction. I notice this the most on my Coker, where I lean on a long handle, and all the torque in the whole frame passes through those cheap little bearings. It’s no wonder we wear them out even though we don’t ride fast or weigh that much.

• No more new rims or tires the same size as the Coker. The Coker tires are great, and the airfoil rim is also. If people want to make new rims & tires, how about one for us unicyclists? I’d like a 42" tire, about 1.75" in size. Not too skinny, because the ride would be too bumpy.

• A better seat and handle system. Your seat post should be a T-bar. The seat will clamp onto the top part of the T (which runs front to back). The handle will be at the front. All the yanking and pressing down in the world will no longer kill your seat, so the seat can be much thinner and at least two thirds lighter. The front bar can also have places for your computer, water bottle, lights, etc. The back bar can have a bumper on it, so the seat doesn’t have to.

Re: Re: Future

This would save some expense for beginners also.
I remember my seat on my beginner Uni, I couldn’t find a replacement without buying a whole new Uni.
But, that was in the ‘old days’ :smiley:

A T-bar with under support … like the one someone made for thier handle…
(don’t remember who that was … but he posted a pic here somewhere )

I’d like to see to see cheap, but reliable, adjustable cranks with a range of 125-175 mm for unicycles.

Whilst I’m OK with more splined models appearing, I hope that square tapers remain easily available as they’re mechanically simpler and work fine for non-extreme riding.

I would like to see unicycle hardware get closer to bike hardware in terms of compatibility. In order of importance, IMHO:

1. ISIS unicycle hubs.
  2. Rail type seat attachment becoming more prevalent.
  3. Increase in seatpost OD to 27.2 as most common.
  4. Aluminum, Carbon, and titanium frames becoming more common and readily available.

i’d like to see more people being sponsored by unicycle companies (kris holm unicycles, quax, onza etc.) and more people making full length videos.

(what are ISIS hubs i know that’s what the koxx hubs are, but how are they different from other hubs like profile or kh/onza)

I’d like to see adjustable cranks like these be available. The cranks are from this thread: Adjustable crank idea. And the CAD drawing is from Steve Howard’s Adjustable Crank Ideas gallery.

I have two ideas, but i dont have any pictures becuase i dont know how to put them on here. here it goes.

One-Retractble cranks. such as a smaller person trying to use a coker or some other large wheel unicycle. the crank could retract and go back to normal. so when you hit the bottom of your revolution your crank will be a lot smaller than when you are at the top so you wouldnt have to reach down so far.

Two- Kinda of cool idea i think. What you do is put like a platform running the same way as the tire right above it so when your pedaling you wont notice it. and hardcore freestlye riders could do like a sideways wheel walk and jump on those little platforms and coast in a new cool way. i have no idea if this would work.

Accually i dont know if either of those would work so if anyone could tell me one way or the other that would rock.

Chase

The second idea would probably not work too well, because it would get in the way for most wheel walking variations. When I sideways wheel walk, my driving foot gets right up to the frame fairly often, so with a platform in there, it wouldn’t be possible to sideways wheel walk. It might be possible, however, to jump up onto them from a Julien Monney style sideways pedalling.

I definitely agree with Andrew Carter; it’s great that the pros in this sport are still willing to help beginning riders. They’re not just in it for the money, unlike most of the pros in almost every other sport. I hope it stays that way.

Add me to the list of people who would like to see more experts giving their time in helping beginners. I believe that one of these reasons Minneapolis has the number of skilled riders that it does is due to the fact the the Minneapolis club members go into schools, churches, etc and teach classes.

I’d like to see more meets.

People like Jess Riegel and John Foss and Nathan Hoover seem to have small California meets all the time. Human interaction is much better than the internet, and it would be nice if people could make an active attempt to organise small meets and advertise them to all invited/interested.

Jag and I have talked about this several times on the phone. An I have been contacting riders in my area about maybe having a Nevada Muni Weekend.

Oh, Aaaaaaand:

To those who have it, phone calls. I’ve been blessed with free long distance, so I talk to riders all over America around two times a week. Phones are sooo much nicer than the internet too, they allow for actual communication.

More full-legnth quality movies sold.
I have to say, although Universe2 and Spaced Out and all the others are extremely entertaining, they do get old after 50 times. people producing DVD’s every other month or so would be soooo cool. I give props to people like Tomsey and Brian MacK. who are fufilling this one.

As far as inventions go:

Much stronger(and cheaper) pedals. Crankarms are now up to par with our severe abuse, now the pedals need to be. Snafu’s and Jimmy C’s are even too weak for super abuse over time. And I really hate the fact that some pedals range in the $100 range.

Hybrid Saddles
I know that one coker rider has combined foam, air, and gel. I’d like to see somebody start to make these, and not throw a huge labor charge ontop of it. I was able to airseat my Miyata saddle for 20 bucks. I think Air/gel conversions for long rides would be super nice to see produced from someone.

Re: Invention of the Future Contest

“andrew_carter” <andrew_carter@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com>
wrote in message
news:andrew_carter.1mfhpp@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com
>
> Above all else, I want to see that unicycling doesn’t reach the point
> where the world’s best riders don’t have the time or rather inclination
> to give advice to beginners, and others less skilled than they are.
> That’s one of the things I love most about this ‘community’. Not an
> invention for the future, sorry.
>

As a novice, (still !!) that is the thing I find most prized thing about
this group, the willingness of every level to join in and share. It is one
reason that I hope unicycling does not get too big, as I fear the closeness
of the experts might well evaporate. Not their fault…market forces.
The newsgroup needs to stay on topic and interesting, whether posts be from
experts or from someone just buying their first uni. Once it fill up with
masses of posts, then I feel many of those who regularly read it avidly
now, may no longer have the time and may disappear.
Just a worry I have, I LIKE being in a minority.

Nao