invented by mistake?

copy’n’pasted from http://www.passepasse.com , a french ‘circus arts’ online shop:

“The unicycle is without doubt the most ridiculous forms of transport ever invented. No brakes, no frame and practicaly impossible to park against a kerb! In fact it was invented by mistake, but all that said, the Unicycle has found its place as one of the most popular and self satisfying forms of balance in the world. There are many National Unicycling Clubs and the World Unicycling Championships are held in China every year. For more information ask your local circus arts group.”

that seems cut and pasted from charlie dancey’s learn to ride your unicycle book
is the ‘invented by mistake’ bit accepted in conventional uni wisdom?
or did the guy on the penny farthing plan to fall like that?
:slight_smile:

RE: invented by mistake?

> Unicycling Clubs and the World Unicycling Championships are held in
> China every year. For more information ask your local circus arts
> group."

So THAT explains why there was no french team in Washington this year! Hope
they had fun in China… :slight_smile:

JF

I’m visualizing this big scientific conference circa 1810 with an audience full of 19th century high-society scientists. Thomas Edison and Benjamin Franklin are there. The man on stage looks very forlorn and apologetic:

“Ladies and gentlemen of the academy. I must sincerely apologize. As many of you know, I came here today planning to show you my design for a stable cold fusion generator. However, to my dismay, when I assembled all of the parts, I ended up with this. Frankly, I just don’t know what happened. I only hope the world can find a use for it.”