introductions

Hello everyone, My name is Rick and I am from the Northeast(where its been raining for about three weeks) and want to learn to uni then muni. I`m 42 but in good shape and bike 4 to 5 days a week. I have tried an old rusty one with a hard plastic tire with no results. I have watched some vids and riding seems very hard!(although some make it look very easy) Is there a moment where it finally just clicks in? How do I stick with it without getting too frustrated? I have did a search on what to start out on. 19" or 24". Are there any pros or cons to either? Thanks for any tips and advice.:slight_smile:

Tips

Hi Rick,

I started at the age of 35 and am now 3 years later a damn good MUni rider and a pretty fair trials rider. I would start with a 24" and go for a good quality unicycle. I found practicing at first to be so frustrating. I could not practice for more than 15 to 20 minutes at a time. But I did practice every day. Sometimes twice a day on the first weekends.
My schedule of progression went something like this.
It took me about two weeks to be able to ride accross the basketball court that I practiced on.
It took about another two weeks to be able to ride circles arround the court.
It took about another month to be able to freemount. Yes that it right I could ride but I needed a pole or wall to hold on to in order to mount.
After about 3 to 4 months total of riding I started going off road onto farm and jeep trails.
After about 8 months of riding I started single trails.
It took me about a year to ride down stairs and to be able to hop up them.
It took me about a year and a half to find the balls to jump off a picnic table.
It took me about a 2 years to be able to jump up onto a normal height park bench.

Keep in mind that things that look impossible now will seem so easy once you master them!

You are on a trully great adventure!

All the Besdt,
Unicorn

Hawo Rick Jake, my name is Harry a.k.a HAZMAT. Welcome to the forums my friend. :smiley:
1) Nothing is ever easy at first, but eventually you begin to understand the concept and start having fun.
2) You have to be persistent, confident and believe you can conquer anything when it comes to unicycling. It took me 3-4 weeks to get on the unicycle properly with no assists (wall, fridge, etc)

Also what Unicorn is saying can be great advice. It may give an understanding somewhat. :smiley:

Pros for a 19"

• These are great indoor and the best size for tricks.
  • Also are ideal for learning the basics. (Freemounting, turning, hops, etc)
  • Are agile and great turning machines.

Cons of a 19"

• Not really a commuter machine in my opinion.

Pros for a 24"

• Good for commuting.
  • Less pedal revolutions needed then on a 19".
  • Can be used offroad if that is what you are into.
  • Pretty good for learning as well.

Cons for a 24"

• It maybe harder to ride inside, my suggestion of places to try riding this would be Gym, parks, bike paths, etc.
  • Some tricks maybe harder to perform then on a 19"
  • A bit more pricier then a 19"

Always here to help if you need it my friend and hoped this helped as well. :smiley: