Introduction and some questions

Hello,

The welcome message for this mailing list contained a call for unicycle stories.
Well, here’s mine.

I started juggling three years ago and at a juggling convention I first tried
unicycling without much success, but I liked it anyway.

Santa was kind enough to give me a unicycle last December. Yuri Abrahams (that’s
Sem’s brother) gave some quick tips when I picked up my 24" SemCycle, I had some
free time around Christmas and New Year so I was ready to learn to ride.

Because there was no one to hold my hand all the time I decided to try the
“just-go-for-it” method. It worked well for me. I started mounting the unicycle
with one hand to a wall for balance. My goal for the first day was to reach a
fence at the other side of the driveway, about 5 meters away. To my surprise I
got to the fence before lunch. In the afternoon I rode from driveway onto the
road. Before I knew what was happening I had cycled 20 meters. Then I started
thinking and of course fell of. But I had felt what it was to cycle and the same
day I brought the record to 150 meters.

The following day it started raining but I did repeat a few more runs of
100+ meters.

The third day the weather was even worse and I had to stay indoors. Mounting
the unicycle without any support from a wall looked like a useful skill, so I
spent the time to try and learn this. After numerous tries I managed to get on
the unicycle most of the time. I don’t if my method counts as a “free mount”
because I hold on to the tyre to stabilise the wheel before both my feet are on
the pedals.

The last practise day I concentrated on making curves. I set up a slalom course
with some bricks, moving the bricks closer together every time. I also had some
fun trying to cycle as slow as possible. At the end of the day I could make a
circle of about 2 meters in diameter, but only if I turned left! Making turns to
the right is more difficult for me. Does anybody have any idea why?

The next thing I want to learn is to idle. I understand that you cycle back and
forth a little, but I am not sure about the positions of the pedals. Are they
supposed to be level in the two extreme positions? This would mean that the
wheel makes half a revolution every time, which seems rather a lot to me.

Thanks for any help.

Cheers,

Ronny Wichers Schreur ronny@cs.kun.nl

re: Introduction and some questions

>
>Hello,
>
>The welcome message for this mailing list contained a call for unicycle
>stories. Well, here’s mine.
>
>I started juggling three years ago and at a juggling convention I first tried
>unicycling without much success, but I liked it anyway.
>
>Santa was kind enough to give me a unicycle last December. Yuri Abrahams
>(that’s Sem’s brother) gave some quick tips when I picked up my 24"
>SemCycle, I had some free time around Christmas and New Year so I was ready
>to learn to ride.
>
>Because there was no one to hold my hand all the time I decided to try the
>“just-go-for-it” method. It worked well for me. I started mounting the unicycle
>with one hand to a wall for balance. My goal for the first day was to reach a
>fence at the other side of the driveway, about 5 meters away. To my surprise I
>got to the fence before lunch. In the afternoon I rode from driveway onto the
>road. Before I knew what was happening I had cycled 20 meters. Then I started
>thinking and of course fell of. But I had felt what it was to cycle and the
>same day I brought the record to 150 meters.
>
>The following day it started raining but I did repeat a few more runs of
>100+ meters.

Are you serious or are you just trying to make us green with envy???

I spent several hard-earned weeks, hours a day, over and over, never giving up,
and finally, yes finally, I could make it 15 feet (5 meters). Another week and I
could go 10-15 meters, and another week and I was able to uni pretty much
indefinitely. I worked darnd hard for that, then you waltz in nad tlell that
sotry, glaghasdflasdf(^#(&^!!!

Sorry, I’m much better now. The therapy has helped immensely, and I won’t have
any more outbreaks…

>
>The next thing I want to learn is to idle. I understand that you cycle back and
>forth a little, but I am not sure about the positions of the pedals. Are they
>supposed to be level in the two extreme positions? This would mean that the
>wheel makes half a revolution every time, which seems rather a lot to me.
>
That is a lot. Less is better, but I believe it’s still best to keep it centered
around one pedal or the other being in the down position. Then you can try
turning while idling. Then from the idle, I tried backing up one step, then two,
and then I was able to back up pretty easy (that at least came easy to me).

>Thanks for any help.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Ronny Wichers Schreur ronny@cs.kun.nl
>
/

\ 0 | Bert Neff --|-- bneff@melpar.esys.com
| Leesburg, Virginia USA
/ \

re: Introduction and some questions

bneff@melpar.esys.com (Bert Neff) (BN) writes:

BN> Are you serious or are you just trying to make us green with envy???

BN> I spent several hard-earned weeks, hours a day, over and over, never giving
BN> up, and finally, yes finally, I could make it 15 feet (5 meters). Another
BN> week and I could go 10-15 meters, and another week and I was able to uni
BN> pretty much indefinitely. I worked darnd hard for that, then you waltz in
BN> nad tlell that sotry, glaghasdflasdf(^#(&^!!!

Don’t feel so bad. It took me months to get to the “ride indefinately” stage.

Talent speed things up, but determination is sufficient.