Internally Wired Cycle Computer?

Has anyone thought about doing this? I was thinking it would only require a small hole for the wire to enter the frame for the sensor and a pair of holes in the saddle base for the wire to exit and meet the computer holder.

Daniel

You’d need a large hole for either the sensor or the computer mount!

However you might be able to cut the cable and with some VERY fine solder work attach some inline connectors after you’ve threaded it through your holes.

Leo White

Hi Leo!

As you can see in the picture the computer of my ungeared touring 28" is in the seat. The cable runs under the seat into the seat post and into the frame. I used a normal 3.5mm male/female connector you normally use for earphones. It works without any problem. No VERY fine solder work neccessary here.

Frank Bonsch

seatcomp.jpg

Re: Internally Wired Cycle Computer?

daino, I considered doing this to my Muni as soon as I got it. I did not for two reasons.
One, the size of both ends of the the wire. I didn’t want to drill a hole that big in my Yuni frame. In addition, I was unsure if I could cut the wire and then splice it without problems.
Two, my Yuni frame is not totally hollow. I would need to drill a hole in the cross piece (the short piece that is just above the tire on each side of the seat tube) of metal. I was not sure that I could drill this hole, and if I was successful with drilling the hole, I didn’t know if I could snake the wire through the maze.
But, I do think the idea is great. I wish my wire for the Computer was INTERNAL!
Has anyone done this on a Yuni Frame? --chirokid–

Daniel-

One answer is to buy a wireless cycle computer. Provided you can keep the computer close enough to the transmitter, say in your shorts pocket, then there’s no need to drill holes in your frame. This would also solve the annoying problem of where to mount the computer so that you can see it whilst riding. If you do do this ensure that the computer will work at the distance you’re going to be keeping it at before you buy it.

Tony
(About to mount his non-wireless cycle computer on his Coker, and wishing he had a wireless one!)

Tony, I’m just wishing I had a Coker! :smiley:

BTW, if I has a wireless computer, I am afraid I would carry it in my hand, and while concentrating on the visual display, and attempting to set a new personal best max speed, run right into the back of a school bus. (How’s that for a run-on sentence?) --chirokid–

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 15:08:27 -0600, chirokid
<chirokid@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com> wrote:

>Two, my Yuni frame is not totally hollow.

Strange, mine (which was an early Nimbus 2 actually) is. The seat tube
can go all the way to the tyre.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

“My butt has a crack in it , but I can still ride. - spyder”

Re: Re: Internally Wired Cycle Computer?

Klaas: My seat tube is hollow straight thru to the tire. However, if you try to turn the angle and go out to both down tubes, it does not remain hollow. Well, maybe there is a very small hole, but it would be extremely hard to thread the wire through the maze.
–chirokid–

You could try a GPS. No wires.

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 01:23:15 -0600, chirokid
<chirokid@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com> wrote:

>Klaas: My seat tube is hollow straight thru to the tire. However, if
>you try to turn the angle and go out to both down tubes, it does not
>remain hollow.
OK, thanks.

> Well, maybe there is a very small hole, but it would be
>extremely hard to thread the wire through the maze.
Maybe a possible way to do that is to somehow connect a vacuum cleaner
to the bottom end of the frame (or wherever to want the wire to end
up) so that air is drawn from the top down through a hole halfway (if
there is one). Then pay out a thin and flexible (cotton?) yarn from
the top. It will hopefully find its way through the hole and come out
at the other end. The yarn, in turn, could then be used to draw the
proper wire through the trajectory.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

“My butt has a crack in it , but I can still ride. - spyder”

Thanks for all the tips. I’m not actually planning on doing this, I just wanted to know if it has been done, and why if not.

Klaas,
I love the vacuum idea. If I ever try to mount my computer on my uni, I’ll have to try this if for no other reason then the fun of it.

New question,
Would the hole affect the strength of the frame? I would think the hole would be about an eighth inch or smaller. If I were to do this, I would cut the wire and re attach it so I wouldn’t have to pass the censor through a hole in the frame.

Daniel