Internal Geared Hub

44.8".

Guys…
Thanks very much for the comments since my last post. I’m now leaning in the direction of the KH36. It’ll definitely give me the speed boost I’m looking for without compromising the sense of mechanical purity and simplicity that I really like about my 29er. I’ve got a l-o-n-g way to go in learning this sport, and I’m sure I’ll get around to trying both eventually.

–cheers.
:wink:

I’ve been riding unis since September 2011. Started on a 20", then got a 26" muni and had my first ride on a 29er unguni early last summer. Got my guni 29er in October and it only took me an hour or so to be able to ride it around, and have done multi-mile rides on it. However I’m still a long way from being comfortable riding in high gear. Low gear is a complete doddle (except for the first few seconds of readjustment after switching out of high), though I had done plenty of riding on my 29er unguni before I got the guni.

More recently I had a quick go on a 36er with fairly short cranks and found it a lot easier to ride than my guni 29er in high gear. To the point where I expect I could probably maintain the same speed on one at the moment. The hope is that in the long run I will get comfortable enough on the guni to be able to ride faster, and maybe at some point transition to a 36er guni (I’ve realised that by the time I get properly comfortable riding a guni I should be good enough to ride a 36er in low on pretty much all of the routes I use).

Decision reached. KH36 ordered. weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! :smiley: