Incredible Dilemma, need decision help

If you are doing flat/level riding, your leg should be almost straight when fully extended on the bottom pedal. (Trials and Muni riders ride with the seat lower but that will come later.) Keeping the seat high will definitely help to keep you seated. Also, if you have been riding only since December, you are probably not as relaxed as you will eventually become. Your goal is lots of weight on the seat and little weight on the pedals.

I actually started mid January, so I don’t think I’m going too bad. I’ll play with the seat height a bit, see what I need.

Actually, I’ll do that right now. Thanks :smiley:

I got a 29" for Christmas after riding my 20" for a year. The first time I tried it, I mounted next to a car and rode 10 feet and fell off, same thing the second time. Third time I free mounted it and rode around the neighborhood. It’s really not a big jump.

You call this an incredible dilemma?

Jaffa cakes v chocolate hobnobs.
Now that’s an incredible dilemma!

I take my KH29 on buses on ocations. When I have frees in the afternoon I get the bus in and ride back. The drivers dont seem to mind at all, as long as theres enough seats for me to take up two its fine. I only ever had one complaint when the driver asked me to take it off the seat because he thought it would have oil on the chain :smiley:

Definatly go with the 29er with a big apple tyre. There such a blast, I do XC and road riding on mine with a bit of gliding, some trials, 1ft riding a few unispins and some sideways wwing and its amazing fun. After every ride I always end up trying to convince all of the surounding people to take up unicycling because I always get a great buzz out of it and want to share the feeling (unfortionatly it hasnt been too sucsessful yet).

I contacted Darren Bedford, he said to not go with the Big Apple. I’m not sure what brand it is, he just says the 29" comes with a street tire. Supposedly/apparently the Big Apple only works really well with a KH29?

Of course, I don’t really know. Still too new to know brand names :stuck_out_tongue:

If you go cotterless (on sale) you can get some longer cranks cheap to make learning to freemount it and climbing hills easier. But I recomend getting something splined in case you get into doing Muni on it, like the Nimbus ISIS 29

The Big Apple has soft sidewalls and unless you ride it w/ realatively high pressure it has a tendency to wander. But from what I hear, it’s great for road:)

I can’t imagine why he’d give you that advice; the Big Apple is the best 29er road tire by a long ways. There are decent road tires which are better off-road than the Big Apple, but there’s nothing close on the road.

Am I allowed to quote emails directly? I suppose it’s nothing more than information. If I’m not allowed, sorry in advance. I’m just trying to get the full story here. I know Darren goes on these forums as well, so sorry to you if I’ve broken some rule.

“The 29” is best without the big apple tire.

The street versions come with a street tire and the off-road versions come with a knobby tire. The big apple isn’t recommended unless you have a Kris Holm 29 and want to use it on the street as the frame fits the tire better."

Not sure what to do. I’m assuming though that it would be quite a bit more expensive with the Big Apple.

It was my understanding that the Big Apple is what makes it a 29-inch. Other tires that fit the same rim make it a 28-inch.

I have a Big Apple on my “29-inch”. That tire has road-crown issues. In other words, if you ride a road that has a high middle and low sides, the Big Apple tire is difficult to control on the sides that slope down. If you ride on top of the crown (in the middle of the road), the tire is fine.

That might make sense; the Big Apple is the biggest 29er tire I know of, so there might be frames it doesn’t fit in. Mine fits in my Semcycle XLW frame, but it’s extremely tight.

If the Big Apple doesn’t fit the frame, then I’d cosider another frame. If it can’t fit a Bit Apple, it’s not worth getting. A 2.0" (rather than the 2.35") is the best road tyre out there for a 29" uni. I’ve used one quite extensively in both a Nimbus and Schlumpf frame with no problems at all.

STM

edit: By the way, Blue, that’s no dilemma at all - Jaffa Cakes any day!

It won’t be the same ride but surely it must still be worth it. I have to get it from Bedford, so I don’t really have a choice. The rest of the unicycle sounds perfectly fine to me.

I’ve started really looking forward to this. Turns out my cat enjoys the taste of $200 headphone cables, so it’s either or now for me, not both the unicycle and the headphones.

Just my luck…

According to the price list on his website;

(which is quite out of date though), he sells a 29" Bedford with either a street slick or Big Apple. So, it should work. I’d give him a call and double check.

The Street Slick option is the cheaper one, but I’d give serious consideration to changing to the BA either now, or some time in the future.

STM

That’s the one I asked for, it’s in his reply that he recommends against it. I suppose I could just demand it.