Incidents today

I won’t do the full blow by blow account as I often do - I’ve already written a long eulogy to the new tyre on a separate thread.

Early in the ride: stille excited by the new tyre, I find myself drawn to explore a narrow path that leads into an area of farmed pine trees. The path gets narrower, the trees get smaller, and soon I am riding in a crouch, zig zagging between the trees and deflecting the lower branches with my helmet peak. The path fizzles out, and I improvise - and soon I am lost. Eventually, I give up and walk in as straight a line as I can manage, hoping to intersect a path. I do: but only after walking through knee high heather, waist high bracken, and a rather unpleasant patch of gorse.

Later: riding along a wide forest track, I decide to swoop up a smooth earth embankemnt and over the top onto a narrow track deeper into the forest. I’m concentrating on spinning the wheel as fast as I can, trying to get out of the slow but steady habit and use a bit of momentum. My eyes are firmly focused on the path ahead, and I completely fail to notice the small overhanging branches of a small oak tree which smack me in the face and nearly knock me backwards down the slope. A couple of hundred metres later, I hear a scratching sound around my chinguard (I’m in my full face helmet) and I reach up to find a sizeable oak twig, complete with leaves, hanging between my chinguard and my collar!

Later still: I’m riding along one of the “cresta runs” - as I call the U shaped zig zag tracks that run through the denser bits of the forest. It rained yesterday, and there are many deep and slimy puddles. Again, concentrating on spinning those pedals instead of picking my way through obstacles, I hit a series of puddles at a brisk pace: splash, splash, splosh, oops! One of them has a massive and very stationary tree root concealed beneath the surface of the water.:frowning:

A great afternoon’s riding.:slight_smile:

I love the ‘Cresta Runs’ nickname.
Any (printable) names for that root yet?

“Cupiditas”

(Radix malorum…)

Not pecunia then?

No, definitely cupiditas.

The correct quotation is “Radix malorum est cupiditas”: the love of money is the root of all evil.

I think it was the Pardoner’s Tale, but I’d stand to be corrected. Definitely Chaucer’s Canterbury Tales, I did it at school, er… just over a quarter of a century ago.:frowning:

Re: Incidents today

“Mikefule” <Mikefule@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com> wrote in
news:45c88c70efef8c53ce9cce9941a84dec.1wa88e@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com
>
> GILD Wrote:
>> Not pecunia then?
>
> No, definitely cupiditas.
>
> The correct quotation is “Radix malorum est cupiditas”: the -love of-
> money is -the root of all evil-.
>
> I think it was the Pardoner’s Tale, but I’d stand to be corrected.
> Definitely Chaucer’s Canterbury Tales, I did it at school, er… just
> over a quarter of a century ago.:frowning:
>

Correct: Pardoner’s Tale: fairly near the beginning of the tale IIRC.
I did it on the train, rather less than a quarter century ago. I hope my
memory serves me as well, 25 years hence.

Nao

I read a book " Relativity Made Simple."
And simpe it was, as long as you could follow simple mathematical concepts
such as:

A=B, B=C, therefore A=D.

I did it in first year english during my aborted attempt at aquiring a university degree.
Mmm, remember the good old days before nostalgia?