recruit teams from undeveloped unicycling countries, my only
non-ceremonial task as ocnvention chairman. I have no idea what the
current state of Unicon preparations is, and no one on the Unicon lists
is providing information.

Through an accidental email that was not suposed to reach me, and later
through more direct confirmation, I finaly uncovered what I siuspected
all along: a deliberate plan not to use the Unicon mailing lists so as
to keep me out of picture. I even found out who the two leraders of
thuis plan are, one in Japan and in the U.S.

I have spent hundreds of hours and some $4500 so far (five long phone
calls to Brazil and China) last week in recruiting teams from Brazil?
China, Israel nd Korea. Spending money to promote Unicon (some $40,000
over the years) is nothing new for IUF officers – John
Foss, Alberto Ruiz, and Ken Fuchs have done it for years – but wasting
time and money without getting cooperation is another matter.

For all I know, all the unicycle mailing lists are dead. If I do not
get a response to this message, I will assume this is so, and I will be
forced to send my messages to rsu – inapprorpiate for Unicon management
messages but the only unicycling mailing list that I know is still
functioning.

There is no question that Unicon attendence is being harmed by these
clandestine comuunications. There is no question either that it should
have dampened my enthusiams long ago, though I am continuing my efforts.

I look forward to an immediate explanation and to revival of the lists.

Re: Important Notification – Silent Mailing Lists harm UNicon atendance

a vast one wheeled conspiracy.

I had a feeling a while ago that something fishy was going on when the announcement came out about your change in duties.

Politics… eeew!

In the end, this UNICON will be awesome…

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 09:18:31 +0900, Jack Halpern wrote:

>a deliberate plan not to use the Unicon mailing lists so as
>to keep me out of picture.

I am totally clueless as to why they would want to work against you,
and harming attendance to Unicon at the same time. Not nice anyway. I
wish you luck in satisfactorily resolving the issue - in whatever way.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

Clearly a system of 1/14 and 1/16 is not decimal - Mikefule on the English weight system

I have no idea what you’re talking about at all. I don’t even know what a “mailing list” in this context is. It sounds like some unsavory things have happened, and I hope that things will continue to move forward for the benefit of all. I do plan to attend with my wife and five riding kids! Keep the faith!

This sounds like top secret spy stuff… please don’t die… :frowning:

I don’t understand why these organizers would (allegedly) try to prevent someone in your position from doing your job?

Why would the organizers of a unicycling event try to keep unicyclists from going !?!

Can someone please fill me on this?

It sounds like the classic battle for top dog in an organization. For some reason there are those that think Jack yields too much power/control over this Unicon. So they delegated him a role that is less visable. Then they made an attempt at excluding him from others aspects of the organizing to prevent his input.

I don’t think it is the intention of those individuals to prevent others from going to Unicon. It just appears to be an unfortunate side effect.

It is sad to see that there is this much politics going on in event designed to promote unicycling, but of course unicyclists are human too and subject to all the same traps every other group falls into.

I have over the past few months formulated several theories as to why this is happening, but they are probably all wrong. My mind is very creative, and in the absence off the truth of the parties involved can create some great alternative truths.

“Jack Halpern” <unicycle@cjk.org> wrote in message
news:mailman.1082334219.17659.rsu@unicycling.org
> Hi all,
>
> Both the Japanese and international Unicon mailing lists, and even
> IUF-discuss have been dead for over a month (some mailing lists
> over six weeks).
>
> This has left me in an information vacuum that undermines my efforts to
> recruit teams from undeveloped unicycling countries, my only
> non-ceremonial task as convention chairman. I have no idea what the
> current state of Unicon preparations is, and no one on the Unicon lists
> is providing information.
>
> Through an accidental email that was not supposed to reach me, and later
> through more direct confirmation, I finally uncovered what I suspected
> all along: a deliberate plan not to use the Unicon mailing lists so as
> to keep me out of picture. I even found out who the two leaders of
> this plan are, one in Japan and in the U.S.
>
> I have spent hundreds of hours and some $4500 so far (five long phone
> calls to Brazil and China) last week in recruiting teams from Brazil?
> China, Israel and Korea. Spending money to promote Unicon (some $40,000
> over the years) is nothing new for IUF officers – John
> Foss, Alberto Ruiz, and Ken Fuchs have done it for years – but wasting
> time and money without getting cooperation is another matter.
>
> For all I know, all the unicycle mailing lists are dead. If I do not
> get a response to this message, I will assume this is so, and I will be
> forced to send my messages to rsu – inappropriate for Unicon management
> messages but the only unicycling mailing list that I know is still
> functioning.
>
> There is no question that Unicon attendance is being harmed by these
> clandestine communications. There is no question either that it should
> have dampened my enthusiasm long ago, though I am continuing my efforts.
>
> I look forward to an immediate explanation and to revival of the lists.

Jack, I owe you gratitude and respect for your wonderful book, but your
hypocrisy is grating. There is nothing wrong with using rsu, assuming accurate
subject lines. Does secrecy suck or not? Only when you’re outside the
circle?

For all that are interested, to the best of my knowledge the mailing lists are still functioning. Indeed there has not been much traffic on them since the re-org at the UNICON office. Since that time, things seem to have been flowing along smooooothly.

Those of you on the outside of that internal struggle don’t need to know all the ugly details. Suffice it to say that things seem to be working much better now than they were before, and everybody seems to be working on what they are best at.

The mailing lists are one for IUF discussions, IUF officers, and apparently some others. Places where, when they’re being used, we discuss those specific things without boring all you RSU people and having to explain everything. If anyone is interested in getting more involved with the workings of the IUF (or the USA for that matter) you are welcome to join those lists.

I don’t know the story about the mailing lists to which Jack refers. If he needs a copy of an address list for sending out packets, he should have that. If he believes we are not using the IUF’s email lists, it has nothing to do with him. Right now UNICON seems to be in a registration stage, and the IUF itself (as usual) isn’t doing much.

The two people to whom Jack refers are very busy working on UNICON registrations and other details, and are not actively trying to conspire against anybody.

UNICON XII is not coming to any harm by people working hard on taking care of registrations, questions, and other details. As far as I know everything is currently under control. Hopefully all of you are getting registered as early as possible. It is very important to the planning of one of these conventions for you to register at your earliest opportunity, so schedules can be planned based on attendance in the various events.

Remember, you can register now, even if you can’t pay until later. The registration and payment processes are separate. This does not mean wait forever for payment though, they need that too! These conventions are expensive! Remember, all this work is being done by unpaid volunteers, and even though this is likely to be the biggest UNICON ever, they still run on a shoestring budget. Please help out.

Jack Halpern has the difficult job of recruiting riders and teams from “new” countries. This always involves a lot of communications and information gathering, as well as trying to collect contact information for unicyclists who may not know about UNICON. If you are aware of any unicyclists who may not know of this event, and who may be interested in coming, please let Jack know about them. Over the years, he has probably brought more countries in than any other individual.

For those of you who do not know who Jack Halpern is, he is the founder of the IUF. It was his idea.

[Sorry about the duplication! This version is more “finished.”]

For all that are interested, to the best of my knowledge the mailing lists are still functioning. Indeed there has not been much traffic on them since the re-org at the UNICON office. Since that time, things seem to have been flowing along smooooothly. That would seem to be the most important thing.

Those of you on the outside of UNICON’s internal struggle don’t need to know the details. Suffice it to say that things seem to be working much better now than they were before, and everybody seems to be working on what they are best at.

The mailing lists are one for IUF discussions, IUF officers, and apparently some others. Places where, when they’re active, we discuss those specific things without boring all you RSU people and having to explain everything. If anyone is interested in getting more involved with the workings of the IUF (or the USA for that matter) you are welcome to join those lists.

I’m not sure about which mailing lists Jack refers. If he needs a copy of a mailing address list for sending out packets, he should have that. If he believes we are not using the IUF’s email lists for any other reason than lack of traffic, this IUF director says we are not. Just nobody is talking. There has been no direction to not use the lists. Right now UNICON seems to be in a registration stage, and the IUF itself (as usual) isn’t doing much.

The two people to whom Jack refers are very busy working on UNICON registrations and other details, and are not actively trying to conspire against anybody.

UNICON XII is not coming to any harm by people working hard on taking care of registrations, questions, and other details. As far as I know everything is well under control. Hopefully all of you are getting registered as early as possible. It is very important to the planning of one of these conventions for you to register at your earliest opportunity, so schedules can be planned based on attendance in the various events.

Remember, you can register right now, even if you can’t pay right now. The registration and payment processes are separate. This does not mean wait forever for payment though, they need that too! These conventions are expensive. Remember, all this work is being done by unpaid volunteers, and even though this is likely to be the biggest UNICON ever, they still run on a shoestring budget. Please help out.

Jack Halpern has the difficult job of recruiting riders and teams from “new” countries. This always involves a lot of communications and information gathering, as well as trying to collect contact information for unicyclists who may not know about UNICON. If you are aware of any unicyclists who may not know of this event, and who may be interested in coming, please let Jack know about them. Over the years, he has probably brought more countries in than any other individual.

For those of you who do not know who Jack Halpern is, he is the founder of the IUF. It was his idea. We at the IUF all respect him for what he has done, and continues to do, for international unicycling, and we aren’t going to stop soon.