Im building a guni

after riding terry’s 36er w/the same size cranks that i have i am going to put a brake on it that i took off an old bike

actually so far i have not put in a single penny into making this and i hope it will stay this way

Bob-

This is a clever use of cheap, available components. I see one potential problem you may want to consider. The axle you’re using looks like a 9.3mm diameter bicycle axle. It may or may not be hardened steel. The standard square taper unicycle axle is 17mm in diameter and is generally hardened CroMoly. The cross sectional area of your axle is only 30% of that of a standard unicycle axle. I think that the tensile and yield strengths of steel are linear with area so your axle can be 30% as strong at best. You will be applying considerable starting torque to the cranks to get that big effective wheel going and stopped. I would be concerned that the small diameter axle will fail pretty quickly with that stress even if you are a small and lightweight guy.

ill just have to build it and see how it works

Good for you. It’s the only way to really find out. I made a couple of iterations on mine before I got it to work reliably.

you might want some longer cranks. those look a little on the short side for GUni use. at least when learning to get used to the extra speed and such.

thats what im thinking also but id have to take them off my giraffe that i need to let my friend borrow until his sister gets a new uni

i might have to “borrow” cranks from my dads bike they have much longer cranks but might have a diferent sprocket size i havent really checked

whens the KH geared hub coming out?

Dude your plan sounds tough…how about a nexus 3 speed or 8 speed hub that is machiened close to 100 cm that has custom welded cotterless cranks attached…ballin…then a shifter cable that goes to the underside of the seat grip shift style on brake mount…

Kris doesn’t know yet as he said if he made a date it would be late. Basically he said it will be done around the time that its finished. There’s a thread on here about its progress.

On topic, I like what you’ve done so far and really hope to see a video of you riding a working product in the future :). Keep up the good work

http://youtube.com/watch?v=wQSxQ7QuDJM
here is how far i am now

Looks cool, how are you planning on putting the bearings on the axle for the frame?

im gonna have my dad figure that out today

Did you put the V-brake system on your self? I’m concidering doing that to my nimbus II frame.

Coolz. That’s awesome that you get to do all these projects.

its just a frame w/a hole drilled into it and a bike brake slipped in

Someone call John Foss… we got another misleading thread title here.

almost done

I put mine on the back of the frame so that it would be less easy to bang my knees on it (that theory wouldn’t work for SIF, but I don’t do that on the 29"!). I guess whatever works for you is good, but it’s just a suggestion in case you have any clearance issues (although you may well not do).