I'm back ..... but cautious !

Random thoughts on this subject.

• When I moved from a 20" to a 26" I fell off and got “scared.” I was a little hesitant about getting on again, but then had a dream where I was riding it. I was just flying along, and it was great! The next day I went out and rode the thing and it’s been great ever since. So I think falling has a big mental component.
  • The only backwards fall I’ve had was trying to idle on the 26". Skinned my elbow, but otherwise not too bad. Thought about using elbow pads after that, but haven’t so far. I do wear knee pads and palm protectors because I injured my knees and palms several times before using protection.
  • I had “smooth” pedals on the 20" and pinned pedals on the 26". I found myself with the same problem of getting “stuck” on the pinned pedals, making the 26r UPDs worse than they needed to be. So I switched pedals, and have been happier. I’ll probably eventually put pinned pedals back on the 26, because they do perform better, but for now I feel a little “safer.”
  • In general, one thing I like about unicycling is that everyone falls. It’s kind of a great equalizer. The difference is that as you get better the falls are less frequent, and more “elegant,” but when I read a posting from Kris Holm that he UPD’d “hundreds of times” testing various unicycle products, I feel better.
  • Finally, it has occurred to me that, being in my 60s, when I have a major ground fall (not very often, fortunately) and can get up, shake it off, get back on and keep riding, I feel like I’m not old yet. So, although I don’t like falling, I don’t really dread it. (I’m buying a 36r this weekend, and I’m pretty confident I will fall off it during the learning process. That’s life. I’m still looking forward to riding it. I am also starting to think about wearing a helmet.)
    As always, my opinions only, your mileage may vary.

Sounds perfect.

More confident now …

I’ve taken on board much of the good advice in this thread…

I am not learning on grass, too bumpy.
I am wearing a backpack and padding up as I did before - knee and shin pads, elbow and arm guards, wrist support gloves and helmet.

I went down to the marine lake in Southport (UK) where there is a rail which runs around the lake. The part I used runs for about half a mile continuous and is just the right height.
Old poor quality photo follows (excuse the tr*ke).

Completed my third hour of the learning curve this morning using the rail. The long run of rail enabled me to get some fluency in my pedaling.
Towards the end of the hour I got a bit more speed up and moved away from the rail, managing six or seven revolutions several times, before stepping off.

Hoping to get some longer runs in by the end of the week, judging by today.

Thanks once again for all the useful advice and support.

What a great spot to learn. Just don’t accidently shoot the uni over the side in a UPD :smiley:

No chance of that.
I understand that the rail was specifically designed for unicyclists :slight_smile: