If you twist around on purpose is it still a still-stand?

I was practicing my still stands and thought that since forwards and backwards balance isn’t really a problem, can you spin around on the spot to help correct your balance? Would this still be a still stand? This definately makes it a lot easier for me and so far has doubled my still stand time (if it is a still stand).

…so is it stilll a still stand?

Thanks,
Andrew

peoples deffanitions differ. Some people classify it differently, some just ignore it as a non stillstand. I say, if you dont actually move side to side, as in the spot of tire is on the same spot, I call it a stillstand. other people will differ.

The USA rulebook says, “Staying in place with no wheel movement.”

:frowning:

A rulebook for unicycling???
That’s just freakin’ great!
Just great.

crap.

I may just have to turn to knitting.

Is there an oath?
A uniform?
An official Pie crust?

An oath - Yes

“I shall love my wheel and ride it daily even though the infidels with two wheels shall call me names and tease me horribly - so help me bob”

A Uniform - Yes

Roach legs
Flattie shoes
waterproof socks
Shorts/combats
Bright t-shirt/top
Bag

Pie crust? - No

Only Clowns mix uicycling and pies - everyone else knows you should eat the pie, not throw it at someone - this is why I hate clowns

In truth, the rulebook definition of a stillstand is only for freestyle competition, where there have to be ways to assign points for form. For other types of riding, the stillstand is a tool for the rider to use as he/she pleases, and form is nonessential.

So you can do the rotation if you like, but if you rotate during freestyle competition, you will lose points. If you rotate usefully during a trials competition, you may be able to choose a better line and make a point-saving move.

But rationally speaking, rotating isn’t being still, so perhaps a different or modified term would be more useful in conversation.

Thanks. I was forgetting the real purpose of still stands there for a while.

Hey wait a minute…the arrow on your avatar just changed direction! :astonished: I looked at it, looked away, and when I looked back it had magically changed. I hadn’t picked tht up before.

Andrew

Hee hee I wish there were a “random” setting on that swap direction timing. That would be really freaky.

Maybe there is but I just don’t know about it yet.

So All this time I’ve been wearing my Mesh Tank Tops because I thought it was part of the official uniform and now you tell me that I should have been wearing a Tshirt? Can it be Mesh?

Man I hate you guys… All the crap I’ve gotten for wearing Mesh Tanks and you tell me that I dont have to do it like this… I guess I can take this Fanny pack off now too hu?

Mike

Re: If you twist around on purpose is it still a still-stand?

On Mon, 10 Mar 2003 03:09:50 -0600, U-Turn
<U-Turn.k2inm@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:

>Hee hee I wish there were a “random” setting on that swap direction
>timing. That would be really freaky.
>
>Maybe there is but I just don’t know about it yet.

It’s probably an animated gif with just two frames, right? You could
make it with more frames and ‘program’ the timing at will. Not exactly
random but close enough for the casual observer.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

‘Stewardesses’ is the longest word that is typed with only the left hand.

Who the hell is bob?

I would beat the crap out of people who make fun of me.

Re: Re: If you twist around on purpose is it still a still-stand?

Well I thought of that one, Klaas. I once did a software project that consumed HUGE quantities of random numbers so that the RNG wrapped quickly, and now I’m sensitive to that sort of thing.

:smiley:

A god in “hitch hikers guide”

Close enough, but not exactly. In Freestyle, you can do whatever you want, though hard tricks count more than easy ones. This means a twisting stillstand is less impressive than an actual still one.

In the Standard Skill event, it matters a lot what the details of your tricks are. If you say you’re going to do a stillstand and then you do the trick that’s defined in the list as “Twisting,” you will either get zero points for your stillstand, or maybe just some reductions based on how far off you are from the definition of that skill.

But the trick Andrew was describing would be called twisting, and is different from a stillstand in the fact that you’re not still when doing it.

Re: If you twist around on purpose is it still a still-stand?

On Tue, 11 Mar 2003 14:26:57 -0600, johnfoss
<johnfoss.k58kp@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:

>But the trick Andrew was describing would be called twisting, and is
>different from a stillstand in the fact that you’re not still when doing
>it.

Maybe I’m nitpicking and also it may not be what you intended to say,
but… your statement suggests that you should be still to call it a
stillstand. But isn’t the requirement that the -wheel- should be
still, leaving open e.g. to flail your arms?

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

"There are 1,929,770,126,028,800 different colour combinations possible on a Rubik’s Cube. "

Re: Re: If you twist around on purpose is it still a still-stand?

Yes. In fact, even the wheel can move a little. There should be no pedal movement at all, meaning the patch of rubber on the floor should not change and the wheel should not rotate. Also the wheel should not turn left or right, which negates twisting. But you are allowed to lean to the left and right, which will cause the wheel to lean to the left and right. That still counts as a stillstand.

So Freestyle and Open-X are the events where you do whatever you want, and are judged subjectively on difficulty and other things. In Standard Skill, your object is to perform the skills exactly as described, with the least number of mistakes. This is where the definitions mean the most, and where most of today’s written definitions come from.

Mesh like football jerseys?
Or mesh like Freddy Mercury? Oooooooo. Sweet.
How’s about we carry pie in a mesh bag? A very stylish mesh bag.
A very tasty pie. Pie is NOT the enemy; Geeks who seek rules are.