If you had to buy a 36" unicycle, which one would it be? And why?

Wow! Thanks for all the answers, they were really helpful, I learnt a lot of thing that I find important to know when buying a 36". Thanks a lot!!

I haven’t seen many discussions of Q-factor recently. I am on vacation in the Ozarks. The unicycle I have here is equipped with Spirit cranks. After riding mostly on straight Nimbus cranks for the last few years, I really dislike the wider Q of the Spirits. We are all different, but for my physique and riding style, a narrower Q works better.

You’re more likely to step on a crank arm with straight cranks. I rode for a period of time with flared cranks (Quax and Spirits); when I returned to the straight Nimbus cranks, I found myself stepping on the crank arms. That was a little bit scary. However, I adapted quickly to the straight cranks and stopped stepping on them. My point is: don’t be too quick to judge low-Q cranks if you’re accustomed to wider ones.

Responding to the OP, I would buy a 100mm spaced hub and put narrow Q cranks on it. And I’d go for the lightest possible setup, looking especially for weight saving in the rim/tire.

I have Nimbus Night Rider Pro 36" uni which they had at the time. Occasionally I thought of getting another, but it would only be if it weighs less than the Nimbus, because I think it is quite heavy compared to say the 32". As I rarely ride the 36" anyways, the only 36" I’ve been thinking of getting now is an Ultimate Wheel. Today I rode 80 metres on the 28" and the youtube vidz of a 36" look quite cool.

You’re absolutely right. At the time I posted that I didn’t really know what to ask. Nonetheless, everyone’s responses helped in one way or another to get me introduced in some of the aspects I should take into account. (I’m a complete noob, didn’t know anything at all about big wheels a couple of weeks ago).

Having said that, since I posted that message, I started reading more and more (not only the answers in the thread I created), and I started defining my wishes and my needs (at the beginning I was simply attracted by the idea of a 36", but didn’t even know if I wanted one).

Today I posted a way more detailed post, asking specific questions, and explaining my situation, my intentions, and my concerns, but it is still unapproved (posted it 12 hours ago).

​​​Hopefully omorrowy it will get approved and y’all be able to read it!

[I didn’t want to post it as a message in this thread, since I consider it opens a lot of new topics, and it really makes a thread of it’s own].

You’re absolutely right. At the time I posted that I didn’t really know what to ask. Nonetheless, everyone’s responses helped in one way or another to get me introduced in some of the aspects I should take into account. (I’m a complete noob, didn’t know anything at all about big wheels a couple of weeks ago).

Having said that, since I posted that message, I started reading more and more (not only the answers in the thread I created), and I started defining my wishes and my needs (at the beginning I was simply attracted by the idea of a 36", but didn’t even know if I wanted one).

Today I posted a way more detailed post, asking specific questions, and explaining my situation, my intentions, and my concerns, but it is still unapproved (posted it 12 hours ago).

​​​Hopefully omorrowy it will get approved and y’all be able to read it!

[I didn’t want to post it as a message in this thread, since I consider it opens a lot of new topics, and it really makes a thread of it’s own].

Odradek, as you can also see on here, people have different opinions of the 36". Some really love them and others prefer the smaller unicycles as go-to unicycles. I like just riding the big wheel, but at the end of the day I just find it too cumbersome to mount or after having ridden several kilometres and getting tired, I might not have much energy to mount it again. For me, my 29" turns out to be the perfect wheel. I can mount it at near 100% and can make many kilometres on it. To me speed is of less importance. Eventually I will get to my end destination anyways. With the 29" I also have more confidence riding off-road or riding down steeper roads.
In any case I think it doesn’t matter so much which 36" uni you end up with. Nimbus is cheaper than KrisHolm. As you still really have to experience the big wheel for yourself, I wouldn’t go for the most expensive, but take one a little cheaper. If you find out it is too big for you or that for whatever reason you decide another unicycle is more for you, then at least you wouldn’t have spent too much. Then on the other side, when learning to mount it, I regularly dropped the uni as I couldn’t quite make the jump or with a rolling mount hopped to fast. In that case most of your beginner damage will be on the cheaper uni, which you can shift out a few years later with a more expensive one.

Does this mean that you do 120 miles rides?
If so, what kind of rides are those (in terms of terrain, climb %, speed, etc.)?

I rode your same uni, but ​​​the KG ultimate proved wrong in a tubeless setup: I cut the carcass hopping and pushing hard during climbing acceleration. I’m now testing a VEE MONSTER paired with a tire insert in a tubeless setup. Seems like the insert could absorb small bumps, but I’m still modding the Uni right now.

Woohoo! Another person on the internet who knows the difference between break and brake. That’s about 4 of us in total. If you also know the difference between an oar and a paddle, I’ll be a happy man!

That’s look good! I didn’t consider tubeless setup, 29" inner tube setup is really simple and efficient in a 36" wheel.
I run a KG ultimate because my G36 has already a lightrider, and I wanted to change to see if I could feel a difference. But It is impossible to conclude because the carbon rim ruin all comparison. ^^ (I only consider rolling resistance and the ability to take corners at high speeds without… falling)
Looking back, still happy with your modified saddle?

That’s look good! I didn’t consider tubeless setup, 29" inner tube setup is really simple and efficient in a 36" wheel.
I run a KG ultimate because my G36 has already a lightrider, and I wanted to change to see if I could feel a difference. But It is impossible to conclude because the carbon rim ruin all comparison. ^^ (I only consider rolling resistance and the ability to take corners at high speeds without… falling)
Looking back, still happy with your modified saddle?

The Cormorant has rowlocks. There are sockets in the side deck and I keep the actual rowlocks separate except when needed so there is no risk of them fouling the sheet, or falling out in the event of a capsize. I often use an oar as a paddle doing a sculling draw stroke over the bow when manoeuvring near the slipway, though. :slight_smile: The one that really gets me is people referring to a 2 bladed kayak paddle as an “oar”.

It is great. No regret at all. I like saddles with a deep cutout, mine has a deep one. I changed to RGB to put a minipump inside the tube

the first time I read that sentence, I thought it was a pump to inflate the saddle… sorry!
I read a second time : Did you install the pump inside the tube? Is it fixed or just stored in the frame (by closing the frame from the bottom)? :slight_smile:

@Vogelfrei80 About your custom saddle, did you use the foam sold by URC? I’m wondering if I’m not going to remove a bit of foam between the 2 tubes at the front and reduce the width a bit at the back, but I’ll keep a “tape finish”. (I just discovered the little tutorial on their website, while I already have 2 handle-saddles)

I was pretty close to the truth when I was talking about a pump to inflate the saddle just before the new nimbus air saddle came out ^^