If you don't have a coker, rethink your priorities!

For anyone who read my post about 29" tubes, I found a shop with a Bontrager 29x1.75-2.35 tube. The used coker I bought from Chrasing was waiting for me at home as I got back from college. Before I even removed any of my packed stuff from my car I ran inside and and put on the tube. The process was actually very easy. After my third try I was able to freemount it consistently and I rode on wobbly down my street a few times until I got comfortable. Once I felt pretty good about it I started zooming up and down my street at top speed. The wind from the speed made tears stream down the side of my face, what an amazing feeling on a unicycle! I just got back from a 3 mile around town finishing by riding up the long, very steep hill to my house. No UPDs at all! Oh wow, I’m definitely hooked on coker.

neet way to go brian!!!

i was never big enough to rde a coke but i’m gonna try this sunday.

they are a feeling like no other, just wait until you master it, it gets better and better!

I definitely agree, it feels like nothing else. Its as fast as a bike but doesn’t feel like it, nor does it feel like a unicycle. It’s great, I can’t wait to give it a go in daylight and get some grippy pedals on it.

just a warning…try to fight the urge to see how fast it will go too soon!

the first isue of the uni mag has an article about my fall at 30 km/h…those don’t feel all that great!

Congrats on your first ride man. I know the exact feeling that you describe, It’s amazing.

I have an airfoil coker in my spare room, and I havn’t got around to riding it in many months. So, its time for me to share the coker love and sell it on to a more deserving rider.

[QUOTE=Brian MacKenzie]
just a warning…try to fight the urge to see how fast it will go too soon!

[QUOTE]

That’s right! The first thing to do–which a buddy with a bike can help you with–is learn how fast you can run. That is always an important number to keep in mind when cokering. :slight_smile:

Yeah, I think I’m going to try and take it easy as far as the speed goes for a little while. I was the fastest sprinter on my high school track team but I think hitting the ground running because of a UPD is a little different than shooting out of the starting blocks.

I was riding around town and a bunch of teenagers saw me riding and said “Hey look a guy on a unicycle!” and one of them stood on the side of the road and stuck out his arm for a high five, which I gladly accepted. He tried running along side me but I just started cranking as hard as I could and he couldn’t keep up. It was great.

Cokers are awesome to say the least!!! Wait til you get it out in the trails for a Muni…the extra speed in the trails, and the ability to roll over and through almost everything is mind boggling. Very fast!

Ride on!

i dont spare money for a coker

Yes!!!

I wonder if there is a way to “train” for a high-speed Coker dismount. Or at least get a feeling for what it’s like (perhaps to temper your need for speed). Would the following work?

You would need a grassy area for the experiment. And very tired legs. So… after a long, LONG Coker ride when your legs feel like rubber, stop at a park with a picnic table in a grassy area. Park the Coker (you don’t need it for the experiment) and stand on the bench of a picnic table (or anything elevated which is next to a grassy area). Run the length of the bench, just to get a little speed going. Then jump off. When you hit the ground, instantly RUN FAST. Caution: your tired, “rubber” legs might bend at the knees causing you to sink down as you try to run. This might make you stumble and cause the ground to come rushing up to greet you. Now imaging this happening on pavement at high speed. Caution learned. No road rash as the teacher.

If your legs are not tired, you can intentionally bend at the knees when you land. Try immediately sprinting from this awkward position without falling.

Remember, you are more likely to UPD when your legs are tired. Slow down as you get tired.

Go fast if you want. But expect some road rash someday. I suggest shaving your legs in preparation. Wrist guards or gloves are essential.

Sounds like an interesting idea. I think I’ll give it a shot!

It’s great that your quickly riding that big wheel so well Brian! Hope you enjoy that big wheel.

Thanks, I certainly am so far!

another issue upon impact is that you are going running speed, but your legs are only rotating at walking speed :slight_smile:

I’ve been reading a biography on Woody Guthrie and thinking that perhaps a good way to train those falls would be to do like the hobos done…

Grab onto a caboose and wait for the train to set off and as it picks up enough speed, step off and hit the ground running. Just a friendly idear.

I’m not sure any training methods should include the step “Now jump off train” :slight_smile:

YAY for cokers. :stuck_out_tongue: I have one and wouldn’t sell it regardless. Unless there was a more enhanced version of my modded coker. :smiley: :smiley:

High speed UPD

Sounds great! For you coker-heads…is it THAT different than a 29"?

On a 29 it is also possible to UPD beyond run-out speed–if that is the case some part of you is going to hit the ground. I have learned that even in a high speed UPD on my 29 which is beyond run-out speed, wrist guards save the day and a post impact roll or somersault will minimize the hits you take. Those have all been “walk away unscathed” experiences but the scuffs on the wrist guards are significant. I always wear them, along with my helmet.

Carey