If I had only one unicycle...

Thinking about this in response to another post…

I’m lucky: I have a three 20s, a 24, a 26 and a Coker. Which is best? They’re all so different. If anyone asks which to buy, I always recommend a 24 as a first purchase. If I had to sell 'em all and could only have one unicycle to last me forever…

What do you think? A 24 because in reality, most of the rides I do are under 5 miles, on rough tracks, but I sometimes want to do 10 + miles? A Coker because… it’s a Coker…

A 28, (700C) ? There’s a range of tyres available, and a few spare sets of cranks could quickly convert it from mile muncher to MUni to impressive show-off tool? Would the best one to have be the one common size I don’t have yet?

Just curious. Like Desert Island Discs for unicycles.

That’s a no-brainer: A 1.5.

-Christopher

Re: If I had only one unicycle…

If I could have only one…leg, er uh, I mean unicycle…

My vote used to be the 24 if I could have only one. I think I would have to modify that now. I would say the 24 for youth and smaller adults and a 26 for bigger folk.

If you have a good frame size the 26 has a plethera of tyre options from slick to knobby. Much more versitile than a 24.

The ideal unicycle is one with a 29" wheel and a geared hub that makes it shiftable to 43.5" with an axle that won’t bend or twist. Soon…oh, so soon. Maybe I’ll get in more than 1 mile of test riding next time.

Yup, 24 for me. That’s what you guys recommended that I get to start with so that’s what I’ve learned on this summer. Although I already have a 20 inch as well and have tried a friend’s 26 inch, I still think that you were right… if ya only had one, the most versatile would be a 24 inch.

Erin :smiley:

It would definitely be a 24. This is somewhat biased since ive never ridden anything else, but i would say the 24 because i is all-purpose. Still good for tricks, not TOO bad for distance, and good for muni and trials.
scott

Re: If I had only one unicycle…

Coker, Coker, Coker, Coker…

I would hate to have only one uni but if I really had to choose just one it would be a 29er (700c rim with a 2.1" tire). It’s just so much fun to ride fast on dirt paths and gravel roads.

When I’m “just going for a ride” I always ride the 29er. It’s not great for MUni and it’s no Coker but it sure does a respectable job for both on and off road riding.

Steve Howard

Just fitted a trip computer to the 24. With 102mm cranks, I did a quick burst up and down outside my house and recoreded a top speed of 10 mph. I estimate the cruising speed at 7 mph or so. It’s good for flattish off roading in this set up. It’s good for hill climbing with 150s, and it’s almost as reliable for idling and reversing as my 20. It’s light and easy to carry, can be chucked in the boot of the car without filling the whole space. And with the short cranks, it has a grin factor of 11.

I’d go for a 24inch muni