Idling

Im just learning how to ride a uni, and i can ride for a good distance. I want to learn how to just idle, but i just can’t do it. I’ve been practicing it for a week now! Any tips?

Idling is like using the search function. It seems difficult at first, but you soon get the hang of it.:wink:

There are many threads on the subject in this forum.

The basics:

Get confident at riding forwards.

Learn to stop under control and dismount off the back.

Learn to ride to a stop and then start again without dismounting.

Ride to a stop and do a tiny little backwards movement (say a quarter of a revolution) before riding away forwards.

And when you get to this stage, set aside a few minutes a day to work hard on your idling.

Idling is done with the bottom foot. The bottom pedal swings from about the 5 o’clock position to about the 7 o’clock position. (Maybe from 4 to 8.)

In the perfect idle, your head stays completely still, and the unicycle swings beneath you like a pendulum.

It is very important to fix your gaze on something a reasonable distance away, rather than looking down.

Count the pedal strokes before you fall off. Your learning curve will go something like like this:

0 0 0 1 1 0 1 1 1 0 2 0 1 2 2 2 2 1 2 3 1 2 2 3 2 3 3 2 3 4 2 3 2 4 3 4 3 2 4 4 5 3

It just takes practice.

Good luck.

I agree with Mike’s advice. Get comfortable riding before starting to work on idling.

I would expect a lot more zeros and ones before you get to the higher numbers. It might look like a page of binary. :wink:

Scott

Yeah, Mikes advice is great. I just spent the last month learning how to do it, it was A LOT of practice, probably more than I have practiced anything in my life (how sad is that :slight_smile: ). It’s a great skill to learn and will help you as an all around rider a ton.

So get started today! Before the end of the year you’ll be idling like a pro!

Yeah, Mikes advice is great. I just spent the last month learning how to do it, it was A LOT of practice, probably more than I have practiced anything in my life (how sad is that :slight_smile: ). It’s a great skill to learn and will help you as an all around rider a ton.

So get started today! Before the end of the year you’ll be idling like a pro!